Looking for a delicious and nutritious side dish? Look no further than this Apple Walnut Salad with White Balsamic Vinaigrette! This salad is packed full of healthy ingredients, including apples, and walnuts. The white balsamic vinaigrette provides the perfect amount of flavor and sweetness. This salad is perfect for any occasion!
A hearty fall salad
With all of the best flavors of the season. This salad is perfect for a light lunch or as a side dish to a larger meal. The combination of crisp apples, crunchy walnuts, and tangy vinaigrette is irresistible. And it comes together in just minutes! To make the salad, start by chopping up some apples into bite-sized pieces. I like to use a mix of sweet and tart apples for flavor and texture, but you can use whatever type of apples you like best.
Best when eaten within a day or two
Next, add in some chopped walnuts. I toast my walnuts before adding them to the salad for extra flavor, but you can skip this step if you prefer. For the dressing, whisk together white balsamic vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard, and honey. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Be sure to whisk the dressing well so that it's emulsified and creamy. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat. Serve immediately or store in the fridge for later. This salad is best when eaten within a day or two of making it.
Storing the recipe
This salad is best if eaten within a day or two of making it. If you need to store it, keep the dressing and salad separate. The dressing will last in the fridge for up to a week while the salad will last for three days. I like to keep my salads in a glass jar with a lid so they stay nice and fresh.
To make ahead, simply chop all of the ingredients and store them in the fridge until you're ready to assemble and dress the salad. This salad is also great for meal prep! Simply divide it into four equal portions and store it in airtight containers. Grab one for lunch or dinner throughout the week.
-Toasting the walnuts before adding them to the salad will give them a nice, nutty flavor.
-If you don't have white balsamic vinegar, you can use regular balsamic vinegar or apple cider vinegar instead.
-For a little sweetness and crunch, add a few dried cranberries or chopped apples to the salad.
How to make Apple Walnut Salad with White Balsamic Vinaigrette?
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 4 cup arugula, rinsed and patted dry
- 6 oz. walnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoon honey, preferably local
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tart apples, cut in half, core removed, and cut into thin slices
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
½ small red onion, sliced thin
- 4 oz. blue cheese, crumbled
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoon honey, preferably local
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove of garlic, finely minced
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Place the top oven rack in the center position and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, toss walnuts with honey and cinnamon until evenly coated. Arrange walnuts in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat™ baking mat.
- Place baking sheet in preheated oven and bake for 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While the walnuts are toasting, prepare the vinaigrette by combining the white balsamic vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard, and garlic in a small glass bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until well combined. Taste and adjust other flavors, as desired. Set aside.
- Add sliced apples to the large salad bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice. Toss until well coated. Add arugula, seasoned walnuts, red onion slices, and blue cheese to the bowl and gently toss to combine.
- Drizzle salad with a little vinaigrette right before serving and toss to combine. Serve immediately with remaining dressing on the side. Enjoy!