The natural sweetness of roasted fennel and red onion add subtle depth to this beautiful and delicious salad, while the addition of preserved lemon rind adds an unexpected pop of flavor to the dressing.
Roasted Fennel Salad with Lemon Tahini Dressing is a healthy, flavorful dish
Roasted Fennel Salad with Lemon Tahini Dressing is a healthy, flavorful dish that is perfect for a light lunch or as a side dish. The fennel is roasted until it is tender and caramelized, and the lemon tahini dressing adds a bright, creamy flavor. This salad can be made ahead of time and served at room temperature or cold. Roasted Fennel Salad with Lemon Tahini Dressing is a delicious, healthy way to enjoy fennel!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30-35 minutes
- Salad Ingredients:
- 1 large fennel bulb
- 1 large red onion
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 T. balsamic vinegar
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 T. fresh thyme leaves
- 2 c. arugula, washed and patted dry
- 2 c. baby spinach, washed and patted dry
- 3 medium ripe figs, cut in half, then sliced
- 3 T. tahini
- 3 T. hot water
- 3 T. fresh lemon juice
- 1 T. preserved lemon rind, rinsed and chopped
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove of garlic, peeled
- ¼ t. ground cumin
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Prepare the dressing by combining ingredients in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth, scraping the sides with a spatula to ensure the tahini is thoroughly incorporated. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F degrees and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat® baking mat. Set aside.
- Remove the stems and bottom from the fennel bulb, then cut into ½” thick slices from top to bottom. Place slices in a large bowl and reserve the fronds for garnish, if desired. Set aside.
- Remove ends and outer skin of a red onion. Cut in half from root to stem and then cut each half into ½” thick slices. Place half-round slices into a bowl with fennel.
- Add olive oil and balsamic vinegar to the bowl and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Gently toss until the fennel and red onion is evenly coated.
- Transfer vegetables to a prepared baking sheet and arrange in a single layer without overcrowding. Sprinkle with fresh thyme leaves and place in preheated oven. Roast for 30-35 minutes, turning once. Once vegetables are golden brown, remove them from the oven and set them aside.
- Place arugula and spinach in a large bowl and add 3 tablespoons of lemon-tahini dressing and toss to combine. Arrange greens on a serving platter and top with roasted fennel, red onion, and fresh fig slices. Garnish with fennel fronds, if desired.
- To serve, drizzle additional dressing on top, if desired, and pass the remaining amount for those who prefer more. Enjoy!
Roasted Fennel Salad with Lemon Tahini Dressing can last in the fridge for up to four days. This salad is a great option for a quick and easy meal. The fennel is roasted until it is tender, and the lemon tahini dressing adds a bright and flavorful touch. To extend the shelf life of this salad, be sure to stored in an airtight container. Roasting the fennel ahead of time will also help to keep the salad fresh for longer. If you are looking for a delicious and healthy salad that can be made in advance, Roasted Fennel Salad with Lemon Tahini Dressing is a great option.
Top 5 tips
Roasted fennel is a great way to add flavor to a salad. The key is to Roast the fennel until it's nice and caramelized. Then, add a lemon tahini dressing to brighten up the flavors. Here are my top 5 tips for making Roasted Fennel Salad with Lemon Tahini Dressing:
- Roast the fennel until it's nice and caramelized. This will give the salad a great depth of flavor.
- Be sure to use fresh fennel. It will make all the difference in the flavor of the salad.
- Use good quality olive oil for roasting the fennel. This will also add a lot of flavor to the salad.
- Add a lemon tahini dressing to brighten up the flavors. Tahini is a great source of protein and healthy fats, so it's perfect for those who are looking for a hearty salad option.
- Top the salad with some chopped fresh parsley or mint for a bit of color and flavor contrast. Enjoy!