When the cold months roll around, one-skillet recipes are a great way to warm up without having to spend too much time in the kitchen. Rustic Chicken & White Bean Stew is one such one-skillet meal that packs a punch of hearty protein and savory flavors that will surely create a soul-satisfying dinner.
Spicy chorizo sausage is balanced with white beans, chicken thighs, diced tomatoes and garlic for a perfectly rustic stew. With minimal effort, you can enjoy one delicious dinner with all the soul-warming benefits of something that's been cooked low and slow for hours!
The Goodness of Rustic Chicken & White Bean Stew
Rustic Chicken & White Bean Stew is a comforting and flavorful dish that the entire family can enjoy. It has the goodness of slow-cooked chicken thighs paired with the earthy sweetness of white beans, fresh vegetables like carrots, celery, and garlic, as well as the savory aroma of herbs such as rosemary and thyme. The creamy broth brings the flavors together in perfect harmony for an unforgettable dinner dish. Best of all, the whole thing comes together quickly with minimal effort so you can just sit back and enjoy your delicious meal!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
- The Goodness of Rustic Chicken & White Bean Stew
- Ingredients needed to make Rustic Chicken & White Bean Stew
- Instructions for making Rustic Chicken & White Bean Stew
- Variations when making Rustic Chicken & White Bean Stew
- Storage for Rustic Chicken & White Bean Stew
- Top tips, when making Rustic Chicken & White Bean Stew
- Rustic Chicken & White Bean Stew
Ingredients needed to make Rustic Chicken & White Bean Stew
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ medium red onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large stalks of celery, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced and cut into half rounds
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3 3-oz. Cajun andouille sausage, sliced
- 3 c. chicken broth
- 2 T. fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped (or 2 t. dried)
- 1 T. fresh thyme leaves (or 1 t. dried)
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1 29-oz. can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 T. fresh parsley, finely chopped
Instructions for making Rustic Chicken & White Bean Stew
- Add one tablespoon olive oil to a large high-sided skillet or Dutch oven set over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, celery, and carrots, and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Stir to combine and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables soften and develop some color, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add the chicken thighs, sliced sausage, rosemary, thyme, and bay leaves. Season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired. Pour in the chicken broth and stir to combine.
- Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, then immediately reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes or until the chicken pulls apart easily with two forks.
- Add the cannellini beans and stir to combine. Simmer for another 4-5 minutes, or just until heated through. Remove from heat and stir in fresh parsley right before serving. Enjoy!
Variations when making Rustic Chicken & White Bean Stew
Creating variations of Rustic Chicken & White Bean Stew can be a great way to add variety to your dinner menu. From different proteins like beef or turkey to additional vegetable ingredients for a heartier stew, the variations are endless! You can also choose between both savory and sweet variations by changing up the spices you add to the stew. For instance, adding garam masala will make it more of an Indian-style stew while bay leaves and basil addition pack in flavor while making it very fragrant. Ultimately, the sky's the limit when variations come into play!
Storage for Rustic Chicken & White Bean Stew
Rustic Chicken & White Bean Stew is an incredibly savory dish that can be enjoyed for a few days after it's cooked. After storage, it should be consumed within three to five days for optimal taste and quality. To maximize its storage life, the stew should be kept at or below 40 degrees Fahrenheit and stored in an airtight container or sealed bag. Come meal time, the stew can quickly reheat and provide a delicious dinner for days to come!
Top tips, when making Rustic Chicken & White Bean Stew
When creating a cozy, rustic meal like Rustic Chicken & White Bean Stew, top tips are key to crafting the perfect stew. First and foremost, fresh ingredients are essential for ensuring an unbeatable flavor. Source quality chicken that is both seasoned to your taste and cooked until just the right crispiness. Also, add minimally processed herbs and spices such as oregano, rosemary or thyme in order to elevate the flavor of your stew even further. Use a combination of canned and personally-cooked beans in order to provide a hearty texture while also saving preparation time. Lastly, top off every bowl with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese for an irresistible finishing touch! With these top tips you will be sure to make a delicious Rustic Chicken & White Bean Stew in no time at all.