Spanakopita, also known as spinach pie, is a Greek dish traditionally made with spinach, feta cheese, and phyllo dough. The dough is layered with filling, then baked until golden brown. Spanakopita can be served hot or cold and is often served as an appetizer or main course. While the dish is commonly associated with Greece, it can also be found in other Mediterranean countries such as Turkey and Lebanon.
Something new to try
Spanakopita is a popular choice for vegetarians and meat-eaters alike and can be easily customized to suit different dietary needs. Whether you're looking for a traditional Greek dish or something new to try, spanakopita is sure to please.
A versatile dish
Spanakopita is a versatile dish that can be easily adapted to suit your taste. Whether you like your Spanakopita savory or sweet, there's a recipe out there for you. So, preheat your oven and get ready to enjoy a delicious Spanakopita spinach pie!
How healthy is Spanakopita
Spanakopita is a healthy dish because it is made with spinach. Spinach is a leafy green vegetable that is high in vitamins A, C, and K. It is also a good source of iron and magnesium. Fetal cheese is another ingredient in Spanakopita. Feta cheese is a type of cheese that is made from sheep's milk. It is a good source of protein and calcium. Spanakopita is also healthy because it contains phyllo dough. Phyllo dough is made from flour, water, and oil. It is low in calories and fat. Spanakopita is a healthy dish that can be enjoyed by everyone.
What goes along with Spanakopita
It makes a great appetizer or main course, and it's often served with a side of lemon wedges, diced tomatoes, and olives. Spanakopita can also be served with a simple salad of greens and vinaigrette. For a heartier meal, you could serve it with roasted potatoes and chicken.
Spanakopita Spinach Pie is a traditional Greek dish made with spinach, feta cheese, and phyllo dough. Spanakopita can be served as a main course or a side dish, and it is often eaten for special occasions such as Easter and Christmas. To make Spanakopita Spinach Pie, you will need the following ingredients:
- - 1 pound fresh spinach, chopped (you can substitute frozen, thawed well, and drained)
- -½ cup of crumbled feta cheese
- -¼ cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- -¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- -¼ cup chopped fresh dill
- -3 tablespoons of butter, melted
- -¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- -1 large red onion ( finely minced )
- -2 eggs, lightly beaten
- -½ teaspoon of salt
- -¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- -½ pound of phyllo dough, thawed
½ cup sesame seeds
To make Spanakopita Spinach Pie, start by:
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Set the frying pan on medium heat and let it warm up for about a minute before you put in your olive oil.
-Put the onion in the pan and cook it until it's soft. This should take about five minutes. Remove it from the heat and let the onions cool in a glass bowl.
- In a large bowl, mix together the spinach with the eggs, adding the salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss in the feta cheese, Parmesan cheese, parsley, dill, and sautéed onions.
-Unroll the phyllo dough on a flat surface. Cut the dough in half crosswise to fit the pie dish.
-Place one-half of the dough in the bottom of the pie dish.
- Layer with half of the spinach mixture.
Bake in the 325 degrees F heated-oven for 1 hour, or until the phyllo (fillo) crust is crisp and golden brown. Remove from the oven. Finish cutting into squares and serve.