Enjoy a one-skillet dinner to make your weeknight cooking easier with this irresistible Cajun Shrimp & Vegetable Skillet. This flavorful dinner is one that will satisfy the entire family.
The delicious combination of crisped shrimp, bell peppers, onions, and corn simmered in a rich and creamy sauce made with garlic, herbs, and Cajun spices make this skillet the ultimate combination of spicy and savory for both adults and children alike. Not to mention it only takes one pan for an effortless meal. So why not try out this amazing recipe tonight?
Cajun Shrimp & Vegetable Skillet is the epitome of goodness
Cajun Shrimp & Vegetable Skillet is the epitome of goodness. Each bite is loaded with the flavor of succulent shrimp and vegetables cooked to the perfect crispness in a savory creole seasoning. This skillet packs the flavors you'd expect from the warm Gulf Coast, all in one dish! Plus, it's incredibly easy to make, so you can spend more time enjoying the food than slaving away in the kitchen. If you're looking for a delicious and unique meal that's sure to impress, Cajun Shrimp & Vegetable Skillet is an ideal choice!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- Cajun Shrimp & Vegetable Skillet is the epitome of goodness
- Ingredients needed to make Cajun Shrimp & Vegetable Skillet
- Instructions for making Cajun Shrimp & Vegetable Skillet
- Variations when making Cajun Shrimp & Vegetable Skillet
- Storage for Cajun Shrimp & Vegetable Skillet
- Top tip
- Cajun Shrimp & Vegetable Skillet
Ingredients needed to make Cajun Shrimp & Vegetable Skillet
Cajun Seasoning Ingredients:
1 T. garlic powder
1 T. smoked paprika
½ T. onion powder
2 t. dried oregano
1 t. dried thyme
2 t. cayenne pepper
1 t. ground white pepper
2 t. fine sea saltSkillet Ingredients:
1 lbs. jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 T. extra virgin olive oil, divided
3 3-oz. Cajun Andouille sausage links, sliced
½ medium white onion, finely diced
2-3 large cloves garlic, minced
1 medium orange or red bell pepper, finely diced
1 medium green bell pepper (or ½ large), finely diced
1-2 T. Cajun seasoning, divided*
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1 small yellow squash, sliced and cut into half rounds
1 small zucchini, sliced and cut into half rounds
2 T. fresh parsley, finely chopped
*Start with one tablespoon Cajun seasoning. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired.
Instructions for making Cajun Shrimp & Vegetable Skillet
- Prepare the Cajun seasoning by combining all ingredients together in a bowl. Stir to combine and transfer to an airtight container. Set aside.
- Toss the shrimp with one tablespoon of olive oil and one-half tablespoon of Cajun seasoning. Set aside.
- Set a large skillet over medium heat and add the Andouille sausage. Cook, stirring occasionally until the sausage is browned, approximately 4-5 minutes. Transfer sausage to a plate and set aside.
- Add one tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet, along with the seasoned shrimp. Spread the shrimp into a single layer without overcrowding. Cook, stirring once, just until the shrimp is opaque and starts to curl approximately 2 minutes. Do not overcook. Transfer the shrimp to the plate with the sausage.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the skillet, along with the onion, garlic, and diced bell pepper. Sprinkle with additional Cajun seasoning, to taste, and stir to combine. Cook, stirring frequently until the vegetables soften and develop some color, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add the yellow squash and zucchini to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, just until browned and crisp-tender, approximately 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the Andouille sausage, shrimp, and fresh parsley. Stir to combine and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Variations when making Cajun Shrimp & Vegetable Skillet
Making Cajun Shrimp & Vegetable Skillet is a great way to enjoy delicious flavors without sacrificing taste and nutrition. The variations you can use when making the meal are almost endless, so there's something for everyone. To adjust the spice level of your skillet, you can choose from a variety of dried herbs and spices like paprika, chili powder, and oregano; all of which will give off an incredibly flavor profile that's bound to satisfy you! You can also add red or green peppers for some extra color and flavor, as well as a bit of heat if desired. In addition, adding cooked white beans or chickpeas can make your Cajun skillet even heartier and more nutritious. With just a few variations to the recipe, your Cajun Shrimp & Vegetable Skillet dish can become something fresh and exciting every time!
Storage for Cajun Shrimp & Vegetable Skillet
When it comes to storage of Cajun Shrimp & Vegetable Skillet, the trick is remembering that cooked seafood should be kept in the refrigerator for no more than two to three days. Even though sealed containers may help extend storage life, it is recommended to consume the dish within two days for best results. To help make storage easier, plan ahead and use shallow storage containers or plastic wrap to keep your food from drying out and reduce wastage. When reheating the meal leftovers, make sure it’s heated over 165 degrees Fahrenheit for a minimum of 15 seconds before eating for food safety.
For making the perfect Cajun Shrimp & Vegetable Skillet, top tips include using top quality seafood and vegetables. Choose large shrimp that is wild caught from the Gulf of Mexico and freeze-dried garlic for maximum flavor. Fresh spices such as oregano, thyme, paprika, cumin and cayenne pepper will add a zesty kick. Aromatic vegetables like bell peppers, onion and celery lend vibrant flavor to the dish. Lastly, a Cajun skillet would not be complete without tomatoes so use ripe tomatoes that are bursting with brightness and juice. With these top tips in mind you will have an unbeatably delicious meal on the table.