Cheese-Stuffed Meatball Subs are the perfect dinner for any meat lover. Tender beef and pork meatballs are stuffed with gooey cheese, then simmered in a flavorful tomato sauce. Place them on a toasted sub roll and top with even more cheese, and you've got a sandwich that is sure to please.
Can easily be customized
The best part about this recipe is that it can easily be customized to your liking. Suggestions -Add some spice by using hot Italian sausage, or keep it mild with ground turkey. You can also use your favorite type of cheese in the stuffing, so feel free to experiment until you find the perfect combination. Serve this Cheese-Stuffed Meatball Subs with a side of pasta or a simple salad for a complete meal that will leave everyone satisfied.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 25-30 minutes
Yields: 12 large meatballs
- 1 lb lean ground beef (80% lean/20% fat (or greater))
- 1 lb ground pork
- ¼ large white onion, finely minced
- 3-4 large cloves of garlic, finely minced
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- ½ cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 jar of Marinara Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- On a large rimmed cookie sheet, spray non-stick cooking oil and set aside. In the oven preheat to 400 degrees Fahrenheit then place the top rack at the center position for optimal heat circulation before placing the baking sheets
Tip: Use non-stick cooking spray to make removing any cheese that seeps out while baking easier. Place the meatballs directly on a dark baking sheet, (vs parchment paper or Silpat™), for better browning and flavor retention!
- Add the beef, pork, onion, garlic, Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, eggs, milk, Italian seasoning, and crushed red pepper flakes, if using, to a large mixing bowl. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Mix the ingredients together until they are all combined. Do not overmix
- Transfer the mixture to a clean work surface. Spread it out evenly. Cut it into 12 equal-sized portions.
- Put an equal number of cheese sticks in each square. Then, form the meat around the cheese with your hands. Make sure it is firm. Place the meatballs on the baking sheet. Do this for all of them.
- Put the baking sheet on the top oven rack. Bake for 10 minutes. Take out the baking sheet and turn each meatball with a spatula. Put it back in the oven and bake for another 8-10 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer reads 160°F when inserted into the thickest part of the meatballs.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and set it aside, but do not turn off the oven.
- Pour the marinara sauce into a large skillet set over medium-low heat and carefully add the meatballs. (Remove any excess grease off the meatballs with paper towels first). Simmer for 4-5 minutes, or until the sauce is heated through, while carefully turning the meatballs to coat in the sauce.
- Carefully slice open the hoagie buns and arrange on a lined baking sheet. Fill each bun with two or three meatballs and some of the sauce. Top each sub with two or three slices of Provolone cheese and place in the oven until the cheese is melted, approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately with your choice of sides. Enjoy!