Chilled Gazpacho with Crispy Chickpea “Croutons” is a healthy and delicious meal that can be made in your own kitchen. This recipe is versatile, easy to make, and very flavorful. For a healthy spin on traditional Gazpacho, this version starts with a base of fresh tomatoes, cucumber, and bell pepper along with herbs such as oregano, thyme, and parsley.
This gluten-free spin on traditional gazpacho is sure to have your whole family asking for seconds! The blend of fresh tomatoes and cucumber mixed with garlic and cumin dip makes it an ideal meal on these chilly winter days. A few sprinkles of roasted chickpea “Croutons” brings an unexpected crunch and savory flavor you won't be able to resist. This recipe is definitely worth trying out!
Chilled Gazpacho with Crispy Chickpea “Croutons” the perfect lunch or dinner option
Craving something cool and comforting? Look no further than Chilled Gazpacho with Crispy Chickpea “Croutons”! This tasty treat is the perfect lunch or dinner option, with it’s delectable combination of flavors and textures. But it’s not just for meals - Chilled Gazpacho can easily make for a great snack too! Make lunchtime, dinnertime, or anytime a little more special by whipping up this recipe. It's sure to impress your friends and family!
Prep time: 20 minutes + chilling time
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
- Chilled Gazpacho with Crispy Chickpea “Croutons” the perfect lunch or dinner option
- Ingredients needed to make Chilled Gazpacho with Crispy Chickpea “Croutons”
- Instructions for making Chilled Gazpacho with Crispy Chickpea “Croutons”
- Top tip
- Chilled Gazpacho with Crispy Chickpea “Croutons”
Ingredients needed to make Chilled Gazpacho with Crispy Chickpea “Croutons”
- Chickpea “Crouton” Ingredients:1 15.5-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1½ t. ground cumin
- ½ t. smoked paprika
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and roughly chopped
- 5 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2-3 fresh garlic cloves
- ¾ c. water
- 2 T. red wine vinegar
- 3 T. fresh lemon juice, divided
- ¼ c. fresh basil, roughly chopped
- ½ c. fresh parsley, chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium avocado
- Optional: Sprigs of fresh basil and/or parsley, for garnish
Instructions for making Chilled Gazpacho with Crispy Chickpea “Croutons”
- Place top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat oven to 400°F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper or a Silpat® baking mat. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, toss the chickpeas with one tablespoon of olive oil, ground cumin, and smoked paprika. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and toss to combine.
- Spread seasoned chickpeas onto the prepared baking sheet and place in the pre-heated oven to roast until golden-brown and crispy, approximately 15-20 minutes. For more uniform results, turn the chickpeas or give the pan a good shake halfway through cooking.
- Meanwhile, finely dice one-quarter of the red onion, bell pepper, and cucumber. Set aside.
- Place the tomatoes, plus the remaining red onion, bell pepper, and cucumber in a food processor or high-powered blender. Add the garlic, water, red wine vinegar, two tablespoons of lemon juice, and fresh herbs. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and quickly pulse until the mixture is mostly smooth.
- Transfer the gazpacho to a large glass or another non-reactive bowl. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to overnight to chill.
- Once the chickpeas are golden and crispy, remove them from oven and set them aside to cool. They will become crispier as they cool. Store in an airtight container if using the next day.
- Right before serving, dice the avocado and toss it with the remaining tablespoon of lemon juice to prevent browning. Set aside.
Before serving, taste the gazpacho and adjust the seasonings, as desired. Transfer the chilled soup into individual serving bowls and top with some of the finely diced red onion, bell pepper, and cucumber. Garnish with the crispy chickpeas, diced avocado, and sprigs of fresh herbs, if using. Enjoy!
When making Chilled Gazpacho with Crispy Chickpea, there are plenty of variations to choose from when it comes to your ingredients! The bulk of the soup can be composed of whatever vegetables you prefer; think peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, zucchinis, and more. To add flavor, consider incorporating garlic and shallots. If you'd like a cheaper and easier option than chickpea for crunchy toppings, croutons or wheat germ are both nice alternatives. With so many tasty variations available, it should be easy to find something that pleases everyone at the table!
Chilled Gazpacho with Crispy Chickpea “Croutons” isn't meant to be stored in the fridge for too long. If done properly, storage is a great way to keep it fresher, longer. That being said, it's recommended that you plan to eat your gazpacho within 2-3 days of storage in the fridge. This will ensure that all the wonderful flavors have stayed as close to their original state as possible and your croutons are still extra-crunchy. Enjoy!
When making chilled gazpacho with crispy chickpea "croutons", top tips include planning ahead, being mindful of the seasonings, and exercising patience during the cooking process. To ensure there is enough time for the soup to properly chill, plan to make it at least a day in advance. Additionally, when it comes to seasonings, taking into account the individual tastes of family members or dinner party guests can go a long way! Lastly, nothing beats good old ‘fashioned patience while waiting for those chickpeas to properly crisp up. Set aside enough time so that they don’t overcook and turn out soggy instead. Keep these top tips in mind and you’re sure to end up with the perfect Chilled Gazpacho with Crispy Chickpea "Croutons"!