Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and coconut French Toast is a breakfast recipe that is sure to make your family happy. It's easy to make and delightfully delicious, starting with egg-battered toast topped with shredded coconut.
The traditional dish can be served with a flourish of fresh slices of fruit – either banana or mango always works best - and lightly spiced syrup for an explosion of flavor in every bite. Coconut French Toast is a perfect breakfast treat that your entire family will love, so why not give it a try today?.
What makes Coconut French Toast so special?
Coconut French Toast is the perfect combination of the sweetness from the dish topped off with the crunchy goodness of toasted coconut. When the two come together in the perfect balance the flavor carries the diner away on a tropical vacation in their minds. The different textures and flavors paired together to bring out the best of both worlds and provide a unique, sweet experience for all to enjoy. There's nothing quite like the deliciousness that comes with the goodness of Coconut French Toast!
Ingredients needed to make Coconut French Toast
- 1 T. coconut oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 c. coconut milk
- 1 t. pure vanilla extract
- ¼ t. salt
- 8 thick slices stale sourdough bread (or any sturdy bread of choice)
- 1 c. unsweetened shredded coconut
- 4 t. butter, for serving
- 4 T. real maple syrup, for serving
- 2 c. fresh berries, for serving
Instructions for making Coconut French Toast
- Heat oven to 200°F. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add coconut oil.
- Whisk eggs, coconut milk, vanilla, and salt in a shallow dish. Place shredded coconut in a separate shallow dish.
- Dip each slice of bread into the egg mixture, turning to coat both sides. Transfer to the dish of coconut and press lightly. Flip to coat bread with shredded coconut evenly on both sides.
- Add bread to a hot skillet and cook until golden and crisp on both sides, 4-5 minutes per side. Place cooked slices of French toast on a cooling rack over a sheet pan and transfer to the oven to keep warm. Continue working in batches until all pieces of bread are cooked.
- Plate 2 slices of French toast per person. Top with butter, maple syrup, and fresh berries. Enjoy!
Coconut flavored French Toast is a delicious and easy to make breakfast treat. You can add variations to the classic recipe by experimenting with different ingredients. Start by substituting your favorite milk or cream for the milk usually called for in your recipe. Coconut milk makes a great addition if you are looking to add a hint of tropical flavor to it. If you’re feeling adventurous, try swapping out traditional white bread for slices of Hawaiian sweet bread or challah, which will give your toast a more complex sweetness. For even more variations, top off the toast with coconut shavings, dried pineapple chunks, macadamia nuts, and honey for an interesting twist on the normal French Toast flavors. Get creative and explore new variations of Coconut French Toast – you won’t be disappointed.
One of the great things about Coconut French Toast is that it can easily be made ahead and stored for later use. When properly stored, coconut french toast can last up to a week in the refrigerator – making it ideal for those mornings when you don’t have a lot of time to make breakfast. To ensure your french toast stays good, wrap or store it in an airtight container or plastic bag when keeping in the fridge. As with anything else you are storing food-wise, always keep an eye on storage times and monitor expiration dates so you don’t eat something that may have gone bad. Enjoy!
Making Coconut French Toast can be a great way to start the morning off right! To ensure you have the perfect dish, here are top tips for success. First, make sure to use room-temperature eggs and milk so that the coconut flavor really stands out in the custard mixture. Second, while marinating each slice of bread into the custard mix is necessary, make sure not to leave it in too long, or else it will become soggy. Third, top off your Coconut French Toast with a sprinkle of shredded coconut or whipped cream for an extra indulgent touch!