Nothing is more warming and comforting for the colder months than a big steaming bowl of earthy cream soup. Creamy Hearty Winter Soup is filled with earthy vegetables like potatoes, carrots, spinach, corn, and mushrooms.
The creamy texture adds richness and depth while the earth tones make it a homey main dish or side. You can add various herbs to switch up the flavor profile and find unique variations that will work perfectly with whatever you are in the mood to eat! Try out Creamy Hearty Winter Soup this winter - you won't regret it!
How good and healthy is Creamy Hearty Winter Soup?
A Creamy Hearty Winter Soup is an excellent choice for a good and healthy meal this season. Not only does it contain natural ingredients such as vegetables, chicken or beef broth, so you know you’re eating something good for you, but the warm and comforting flavors are sure to make any cold winter night cozy. It’s a perfect option if you’re looking for something to fill your stomach without adding too many unhealthy calories. Best of all, it’s totally customizable – try mixing different vegetables to change up the taste or add more spices for a flavor kick! With good and healthy options like Creamy Hearty Winter Soup, there's really nothing stopping you from having a delicious meal this winter!
Background content: is this popular at certain times of year? Special holidays?
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Ingredients needed to make Creamy Hearty Winter Soup
- 3 T. olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 c. vegetable stock
- 2 c. warm water
- 7 oz. Portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 7 oz. heavy cream*
- 2 c. baby spinach, rough chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 c. canned chickpeas, drained, rinsed and lightly patted dry
- 2 T. olive oil
*To prevent curdling, add a small of hot liquid from pan to heavy cream before adding it to the soup.
Instructions for making Creamy Hearty Winter Soup
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté, stirring frequently, until the onion becomes soft and translucent approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock, water, mushrooms, and potatoes.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and boil until potatoes are soft, approximately 10 minutes. Time to cook will vary based on the size of the potato cubes.
- Add a spoonful of the hot liquid to the heavy cream to temper it before adding it to the pot. Stir to combine and simmer for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add spinach. Simmer 5 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired. Remove from heat and set aside, covered to retain heat.
- In a small skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat.
- Add chickpeas and cook until crispy, stirring occasionally.
- To serve, ladle soup into serving bowls. Top with crispy chickpeas. Enjoy!
Winter is the season to dig into warm and comforting soups, and variations of Creamy Hearty Winter Soup offer plenty of choices. Depending on your dietary preferences or needs, you can make a vegan version of the soup by using only vegetables such as potatoes, carrots, squash, onions, and celery for thickening. If you don't mind creamier variations with some extra thickness, adding heavy cream or shredded cheese will enhance the flavor along with some extra protein. Variations of Creamy Hearty Winter Soup can also be made according to what other ingredients you prefer; satisfying options such as sausage, diced chicken breast, bacon bits, roasted garlic and sweet corn are sure to delight. For a bit of brightness in your comfort dish add some zesty lemon juice or smoke paprika to finish your creation. When it comes to variations of Creamy Hearty Winter Soup there’s something for everyone!
Creamy Hearty Winter Soup can be stored in the fridge for a surprisingly long time - up to four days, if would you believe it! However, storage can vary depending on factors like the ingredients used and how hot the soup was when it was first placed in the refrigerator. Be sure to cover your storage container tightly to preserve freshness, and always check on your soup and smell it before consuming. If it's starting to smell funny or look strange, it's probably time to throw out your batch of Creamy Hearty Winter Soup in favor of a fresh one.
Making a creamy and hearty winter soup is an ideal way to top off a cold evening. While it may seem like a mundane task, there are several top tips that can help you make sure your winter soup is one to remember. First, choose the right ingredients; be sure to select plenty of healthy vegetables and fresh herbs to provide flavor and texture. Or, if you prefer, consider adding meats such as bacon, ham or sausage for added richness and complexity. Cook your ingredients slowly to meld all the delicious flavors together before blending the finished product for a more velvety consistency. Finally, top with freshly grated cheese or croutons for a flavorful crunch that will make your soup truly stand out!