Huevos Rancheros is a Mexican breakfast staple and make for a great brunch dish with friends. This Mexican-inspired dish involves a light corn tortilla topped with fried eggs, beans, salsa, Mexican cream, and cheese.
It is seasoned with fresh cilantro, salt and pepper to taste. Serve the Huevos Rancheros alongside refried beans and Mexican rice for a real fiesta of flavors! Try this Mexican breakfast recipe today as a delicious start to your morning or enjoy them together with friends for brunch - you won't be disappointed!
How good are Huevos Rancheros?
Huevos Rancheros, or ranch-style eggs, have earned a place on the list of classic egg dishes. This Tex-Mex breakfast staple consists of fried eggs served atop a corn tortilla and smothered in tomato sauce, refried beans and cheese. But how good are Huevos Rancheros really? The only way to find out is to taste it for yourself! The flavor combination of spicy notes from the tomato sauce blend with silky refried beans give this dish its signature kick. Top it all off with runny fried egg yolks, and you have yourself a delicious way to start the day! All these elements come together to make Huevos Rancheros an undeniably tasty meal - so why not give it a try?
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 corn tortillas
- 4 large eggs
- Chipotle powder, to taste
- Sea salt, to taste
Optional (to serve):
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- ½ c. fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 4 oz. Monterey-Jack cheese, shredded
- Easy Refried Beans
- Quick & Easy Spicy Salsa
- (Optional Step) Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add corn tortillas, one at a time, to the skillet and fry for 15-20 seconds on each side, just until the tortillas begin to crisp around the edges. Transfer to a plate and blot off excess oil with paper towels. Repeat with remaining tortillas and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and fry the eggs sunny-side up in the leftover oil, just until the whites are set and the yolks are still runny. Season with chipotle powder and sea salt, to taste, and remove from heat.
- Top each tortilla with a sunny-side up egg and serve immediately with choice of diced avocado, fresh cilantro, shredded Monterey-Jack cheese, refried beans, and/or spicy salsa on the side. Enjoy!
Huevos Rancheros is a delicious variations of the traditional Mexican breakfast recipe. It has many variations to suit whatever your brunch needs are. Some variations include eggs fried in olive oil or avocado, served with salsa and cheese or chorizo instead of eggs. You can even substitute beans for the tortilla and make it vegetarian-friendly as well! Whether you like it spicy or mild, Huevos Rancheros is sure to be a tasty addition to any breakfast table!
Huevos Rancheros is an easy and delicious Mexican breakfast recipe that can also double as brunch for a weekend get-together. If you plan on leftovers, storage in the fridge is key to preserve your meal. However, like any cooked dish, storage of Huevos Rancheros should not exceed four days in the refrigerator. To make sure your food stays safe, it's best that you store it in an airtight container and consume within two days to guarantee the freshest and tastiest experience. Enjoy!
Tip: These instructions include an optional step of frying each corn tortilla in olive oil until slightly crispy around the edges. Another alternative is to toast the tortillas in a dry, non-stick skillet.