Imagine coming home to the savory aroma of a tender and flavorful pot roast, ready to be devoured. With the Instant Pot® by your side, this classic dish is not only delicious but also incredibly easy to prepare. The beef practically melts in your mouth, surrounded by a medley of perfectly cooked vegetables and a rich, savory gravy.
It's a comforting meal that tastes like it's been slow-cooking all day but takes only a fraction of the time thanks to the magic of the Instant Pot®. So, if you're craving a hearty, homestyle dinner without the fuss, look no further than this Traditional Pot Roast recipe – it's a game-changer for busy weeknights!
A real kitchen superstar that promises to keep your taste buds and busy schedule equally satisfied.
And the versatility of this Instant Pot® Traditional Pot Roast is simply unbeatable. You can customize it to your heart's content, whether you prefer adding hearty root vegetables like carrots and potatoes or throwing in some fresh herbs for extra depth of flavor. Plus, the leftovers (if there are any!) make for fantastic sandwiches or a second round of comforting meals. So, next time you're craving a taste of home without the time-consuming cooking process, give this Instant Pot® Traditional Pot Roast a try. It's a real kitchen superstar that promises to keep your taste buds and busy schedule equally satisfied.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Sauté time: approximately 15 minutes
Active cook time: 63 minutes ((combined) + time to come to pressure)
Natural release: 10 minutes + (5 minutes for the vegetables)
Time-Saving Tip: Prep the onions, carrots, potatoes, and green beans after the roast starts cooking.
- A real kitchen superstar that promises to keep your taste buds and busy schedule equally satisfied.
- Ingredients needed to make Instant Pot® Traditional Pot Roast
- How to make Instant Pot® Traditional Pot Roast
- Variations on the Instant Pot® Traditional Pot Roast recipe
- Storage for the Instant Pot® Traditional Pot Roast
- Top tips for making Instant Pot® Traditional Pot Roast
- "Flavorful Simplicity: Instant Pot® Traditional Pot Roast Made Easy!"
Ingredients needed to make Instant Pot® Traditional Pot Roast
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 lbs. chuck roast, trimmed
- Sea salt & black pepper, to taste
- 4 c. beef broth, preferably organic, divided
- 2 T. tomato paste
- 1 T. Italian seasoning
- 1 T. cocoa powder, unsweetened 8 oz. thick-cut bacon, diced
- 1½ t. garlic powder
- ½ small red onion, diced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 1 lbs. multi-colored fingerling potatoes, halved
- 1 lbs. green beans, trimmed
- 3 T. fresh parsley leaves, chopped (optional)
How to make Instant Pot® Traditional Pot Roast
- Add the olive oil to the Instant Pot® inner cooking pot and select the “Sauté’ function. Use the “Adjust” button to select the “More” (high) setting.
- Once hot, add the roast and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Sear the roast on all sides, approximately 3-4 minutes per side. Remove roast from Instant Pot® and transfer to a platter. Set aside.
- Deglaze Instant Pot® inner pot by adding the beef broth and gently scraping the bottom with a rubber spatula to release the brown bits. Add the tomato paste, Italian seasoning, cocoa powder, and garlic powder, and stir to combine. Push the “Keep Warm/Cancel” button to turn off the Sauté function.
- Return the roast to the Instant Pot® and add the lid. Lock the lid into place and set the vent to “Sealing.” Select the “Manual” button and adjust to the “High” setting, if necessary. Set cook time to 60 minutes.
- When cook time is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes before doing a quick release on any remaining pressure. Add onion, carrots, potatoes, and green beans on top of the roast.
- Cover and lock the lid into place. Set the vent to “Sealing” and push the “Manual” button (should still be on “High.”) Adjust cook time to 3 minutes.
- When cook time is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes before doing a quick release on any remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove lid and transfer roast and vegetables to a serving platter. Serve immediately garnished with fresh parsley leaves, if desired. Enjoy!
Variations on the Instant Pot® Traditional Pot Roast recipe
Here are 10 delicious variations to spice up your Instant Pot® Traditional Pot Roast:
- Mushroom Magic: Add a variety of mushrooms like cremini or shiitake for an earthy, umami twist to the gravy.
- Wine Infusion: Replace some of the broth with red wine for a sophisticated depth of flavor.
- Spicy Kick: Incorporate crushed red pepper flakes or chili powder for a bit of heat.
- Citrus Zest: Enhance the flavor with a squeeze of fresh lemon or orange juice before serving.
- Herb Heaven: Experiment with fresh herbs like rosemary, thyme, or tarragon to infuse aromatic flavors.
- Asian Fusion: Swap out traditional seasonings for soy sauce, ginger, and garlic for an Asian-inspired twist.
- Potato Party: Alongside carrots, add sweet potatoes, Yukon golds, or even parsnips for a diverse veggie mix.
- Tomato Tang: Stir in diced tomatoes or tomato paste for a tangy, tomato-based gravy.
- Sweet and Savory: Incorporate brown sugar or honey for a touch of sweetness that pairs well with the savory roast.
- Vegetarian Option: Replace beef with hearty portobello mushrooms or seitan for a delectable vegetarian pot roast.
Feel free to mix and match these variations to create a pot roast that suits your taste and mood. It's all about adding your personal touch to this classic comfort dish!
Storage for the Instant Pot® Traditional Pot Roast
You can store Instant Pot® Traditional Pot Roast in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days in an airtight container. If you want to keep it for a longer period, consider freezing it. When properly stored in the freezer, it can stay good for 2-3 months without losing its flavor and quality. Be sure to let it cool to room temperature before transferring it to an airtight container or freezer bags, and remove as much air as possible to prevent freezer burn.
Top tips for making Instant Pot® Traditional Pot Roast
here are 10 top tips to keep in mind when making Instant Pot® Traditional Pot Roast:
- Quality Meat: Start with a good-quality chuck roast, well-marbled for tenderness.
- Sear First: Always sear the meat in the Instant Pot® before pressure cooking to enhance flavor.
- Season Liberally: Don't skimp on seasonings; herbs, spices, and salt are your friends.
- Layer Wisely: Layer ingredients with the meat on the bottom, followed by vegetables and broth on top.
- Trivet Trick: Use a trivet to keep vegetables from becoming too mushy during cooking.
- Natural Release: Allow for a natural pressure release to keep the meat juicy and tender.
- Thicken Gravy: If the gravy needs thickening, use a cornstarch slurry or remove solids and reduce.
- Rest and Slice: Let the roast rest before slicing to retain its juices.
- Freeze Leftovers: Freeze extra servings in airtight containers for quick future meals.
- Customize Veggies: Feel free to customize vegetables based on your preferences and what's in season.
With these tips, you'll be well on your way to creating a mouthwatering Instant Pot® Traditional Pot Roast that's flavorful, tender, and perfect for any occasion. Enjoy your cooking adventure!
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]: