Orange & Tahini Piyaz ( White Bean Salad ) is a delightful dish that's like a flavor party for your taste buds. Imagine a medley of juicy orange segments, creamy tahini, and crisp red onions mingling together in perfect harmony. It's a zesty and nutty explosion that's both refreshing and comforting.
Whether you're a fan of Middle Eastern cuisine or just looking for a unique and delicious salad option, this one's a winner. Plus, the vibrant colors make it a feast for the eyes as well – it's almost too pretty to eat! Almost. So, grab a fork and dive into this irresistible combination of flavors and textures. Your palate will thank you! 🍊🥗👌
And the best part? It's a breeze to whip up
As you savor each bite of Orange & Tahini Piyaz, you'll notice how the tangy citrus notes perfectly balance the richness of the tahini, while the red onions add a satisfying crunch. It's a versatile dish too; you can enjoy it as a refreshing appetizer, a light and healthy lunch, or even as a flavorful side to complement your main course. And the best part? It's a breeze to whip up, making it ideal for those busy weeknight dinners or spontaneous gatherings with friends. So, don't hesitate to give this vibrant and delectable dish a try – it might just become your new go-to recipe for a burst of flavor in every bite! 🍴🍊🤩
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: n/a
- And the best part? It's a breeze to whip up
- Ingredients needed to make Orange & Tahini Piyaz
- How to make Orange & Tahini Piyaz
- Variations on the Orange & Tahini Piyaz recipe
- Storage for the Orange & Tahini Piyaz
- Top tips to know when making Orange & Tahini Piyaz
- Orange & Tahini Piyaz: A Citrusy Twist on Tradition
Ingredients needed to make Orange & Tahini Piyaz
- 1 15-oz can Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 2 T. tahini
- 6 T. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ c. parsley, chopped
- Sea salt to taste
How to make Orange & Tahini Piyaz
- Add rinsed beans to a large serving bowl.
- Add sliced onions and tomato. Set aside.
- In a small bowl add lemon and orange zest, lemon and orange juice, tahini, olive oil and salt.
- Mix to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning if desired.
- Drizzle tahini orange sauce on beans and toss to combine.
- Place into serving bowls and garnish with chopped parsley.
Variations on the Orange & Tahini Piyaz recipe
Here are 10 creative variations you can apply to the Orange & Tahini Piyaz recipe to keep things exciting:
- Fruity Twist: Experiment with different citrus fruits like grapefruit or blood oranges to give your Piyaz a unique flavor profile.
- Nutty Crunch: Add some toasted pine nuts or chopped pistachios for extra texture and a nutty undertone.
- Herb Infusion: Toss in fresh herbs like mint, parsley, or cilantro to brighten up the flavors and add a burst of green freshness.
- Creamy Avocado: For a creamy twist, include chunks of ripe avocado to complement the tahini and add a silky texture.
- Spicy Kick: Add a pinch of red pepper flakes or diced jalapeños for a spicy kick that contrasts with the sweet citrus.
- Protein Boost: Enhance the salad with grilled chicken, shrimp, or tofu to make it a more substantial and satisfying meal.
- Grain Inclusion: Mix in cooked quinoa, couscous, or farro to turn it into a hearty grain salad.
- Cheese Lovers: Crumble some feta or goat cheese over the top for a creamy and tangy element.
- Pickled Delight: Include pickled red onions or other pickled vegetables for an extra burst of tangy flavor.
- Balsamic Drizzle: Drizzle a bit of balsamic glaze or reduction over the salad for a sweet and tangy twist.
Feel free to mix and match these variations or get creative with your own additions to make your Orange & Tahini Piyaz uniquely yours!
Storage for the Orange & Tahini Piyaz
Orange & Tahini Piyaz can typically be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days. However, the storage time may vary slightly depending on the freshness of your ingredients and how well the salad has been sealed and stored.
Here are some tips for proper storage:
- Use an Airtight Container: Transfer the Piyaz to an airtight container to prevent moisture loss and to keep the flavors intact.
- Cover with Plastic Wrap: If you don't have an airtight container, cover the salad bowl tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
- Refrigerate Promptly: Place the covered salad in the refrigerator as soon as possible after serving to minimize the time it spends at room temperature.
- Avoid Overdressing: If you anticipate storing some of the salad, consider dressing only the portion you plan to eat immediately. This helps prevent the salad from becoming soggy.
- Refrigerate Separately: If you've added cheese or other ingredients that are best kept separate until serving, store them separately and combine when you're ready to eat.
Always use your best judgment when assessing the freshness and safety of stored food. If the salad looks or smells off or if there are any signs of spoilage, it's best to discard it.
Top tips to know when making Orange & Tahini Piyaz
Here are 10 top tips to keep in mind when making Orange & Tahini Piyaz:
- Choose Ripe Oranges: Select ripe and juicy oranges for the best flavor. You want them to be sweet and tangy to balance the dish.
- Fresh Tahini is Key: Opt for fresh tahini for a creamy and nutty taste. Be sure to stir it well if it has separated.
- Chill Your Ingredients: Refrigerate your oranges, tahini, and even your mixing bowl for a crisp and refreshing salad.
- Thinly Slice Red Onions: To mellow the sharpness of red onions, slice them thinly and soak them in ice water for 10-15 minutes. Drain before adding to the salad.
- Zest for Extra Flavor: Don't forget the orange zest! Grate a bit of orange zest into the salad for an extra burst of citrusy aroma and taste.
- Adjust the Tahini: Taste your dressing as you go. If you prefer a creamier salad, add more tahini; for a lighter taste, use less.
- Toss Gently: Be gentle when tossing the salad to avoid breaking the orange segments. You want them to remain intact.
- Season Thoughtfully: Season with salt and pepper to taste, but remember that feta or other cheeses may add saltiness, so adjust accordingly.
- Let It Rest: Allow the salad to rest for a few minutes before serving. This allows the flavors to meld together beautifully.
- Garnish for Appeal: Sprinkle some fresh herbs or additional nuts over the top just before serving for a visual and flavorful touch.
With these tips in mind, your Orange & Tahini Piyaz will be a hit every time you make it! Enjoy your culinary adventure. 🍊🥗👩🍳
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]: