Nothing is more party-perfect than pizza, and nothing says party like stuffed potato skins. So why not combine the two and create a dish that is guaranteed to be a hit at any gathering? These Pizza-Stuffed Baked Potato Skins are easy to make and can be customized to suit any taste.
Simply bake potatoes until they are tender, then top with your favorite pizza toppings. For a truly indulgent treat, top with extra cheese and serve with a side of ranch dressing or marinara sauce for dipping. So whether you're planning a party or just looking for a fun and easy weeknight meal, these Pizza-Stuffed Baked Potato Skins are sure to please.
The goodness of Pizza-Stuffed Baked Potato Skins
Just about everyone loves pizza. It's a classic food that can be dressed up or down, and it always seems to hit the spot. So, what could be better than a dish that combines two of everyone's favorite foods? Pizza-stuffed baked potato skins are the perfect blend of savory and cheesy goodness. The best part is that they can be customized to suit anyone's preferences. Whether you like your pizza loaded with toppings or simply topped with cheese and sauce, these potato skins have you covered. So, if you're looking for a special twist on a classic dish, give pizza-stuffed baked potato skins a try. You won't be disappointed.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Yields: 12 appetizers
Ingredients needed to make Pizza-Stuffed Baked Potato Skins
6 large baking potatoes, cleaned and pierced several times with a fork
2 T. olive oil
1 c. tomato sauce
1 T. Italian seasoning
1 t. garlic powder
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
2 c. Mozzarella, shredded
4 oz. pepperoni, cut into half rounds and/or chopped
3 T. fresh basil, julienned (cut into thin strips)
Optional: Extra-large basil leaves, for serving
Instructions for making Pizza-Stuffed Baked Potato Skins
- Position the top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat oven to 425°F.
- Place the potatoes in the pre-heated oven and bake until cooked through, approximately 50 minutes. Remove potatoes from oven and transfer to a baking rack to cool for 10 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- While the potatoes are cooling, combine the tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder in a medium bowl. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Once cool, cut the potatoes in half lengthwise and carefully scoop out the soft interior with a spoon, leaving a one-quarter inch margin around the skins. (Save the cooked potato filling for another recipe).
- Place the potato skins cut side down on a baking rack set over a baking sheet. Brush the skins with olive oil and return to the hot oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and flip over the skins with tongs. Divide the seasoned tomato sauce evenly between the skins and spread into a thin layer with the back of a spoon.
- Fill each skin with an equal amount of Mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, and fresh basil. Place back in the oven for another 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Just about everyone loves pizza and potatoes, so why not combine the two? Pizza-stuffed baked potato skins are a delicious and easy way to do just that. The basic recipe is simple: bake some potatoes, scoop out the insides, fill with your favorite pizza toppings, and then bake again until the cheese is melted and bubbly. But there are endless variations on this straightforward dish. For example, you could use mini potatoes and create appetizer-sized bites. Or you could add some spinach or other greens to the filling for a bit of extra nutrition. You could also change up the cheese, using mozzarella, provolone, or even goat cheese.
So don't be afraid to experiment - your taste buds will thank you!
Pizza-Stuffed Baked Potato Skins can be stored in the fridge for up to four days. To extend their storage life, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or place them in an airtight container. When stored properly, these potato skins will remain fresh and flavorful. Pizza-Stuffed Baked Potato Skins are a delicious and easy snack or appetizer. They can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge until you're ready to eat them. These potato skins are stuffed with pizza toppings like pepperoni, cheese, and tomato sauce. They're perfect for game day parties or anytime you're craving pizza. And, since they're already baked, all you have to do is reheat them before serving. So, if you're looking for an easy and delicious snack that you can make ahead of time, try Pizza-Stuffed Baked Potato Skins.
- Choose the right potato. For this dish, you'll want to use a starchy potato, such as a Russet or Idaho potato. These types of potatoes will hold up better to the toppings and won't collapse when you bite into them.
- Bake the potatoes until they're nice and crispy. This will help to ensure that your toppings stay in place and don't end up sinking to the bottom of the skin.
- Use fresh mozzarella for unbeatable flavor. Pre-shredded cheese just doesn't taste as good as freshly shredded mozzarella, so take the extra few minutes to shred it yourself.
- Don't be afraid to load up on the toppings! Pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, onions, peppers…the sky's the limit when it comes to toppings. So pile them on and enjoy!