Scotcheroos are a type of dessert that is made from rice cereal, peanut butter, and chocolate. They are named after their Scotchy-sounding ingredients, and they are often served at parties or potlucks.
Scotcheroos are very easy to make, and they can be made ahead of time so that they are ready to eat when you are. Scotcheroos are also very versatile, and you can add different flavors or toppings to them to change them up. So if you are looking for a quick and easy dessert that you can make ahead of time, Scotcheroos are a great option!
What is so special about Scotcheroos?
Scotcheroos are a special treat that is often enjoyed around holidays. They are made with a layer of Rice Krispies, a layer of peanut butter and chocolate, and a topping of melted chocolate and butterscotch. Scotcheroos are often given as gifts, and they are also a popular choice for potlucks and parties. There are many variations of Scotcheroos, but the traditional recipe is still the most popular. Scotcheroos are a delicious treat that can be enjoyed by everyone.
Prep time: 15 minutes + 2 hours to chill
Baking time: n/a
Yields: 9 servings
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 1 c. corn syrup, light or dark
- 1 c. creamy peanut butter
- 6 c. Rice Krispies
- 1 c. semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 c. butterscotch chips
- Line an 8” x 8” pan with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Heat granulated sugar and corn syrup in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring continually, until the mixture comes to a rolling boil.
- Stir in peanut butter and remove from heat. Set aside.
- Add Rice Krispies to a large bowl. Pour peanut butter mixture over the cereal and mix to combine.
- Spread the Rice Krispies mixture evenly in the prepared baking pan. Set aside.
- In the microwave, melt the chocolate and butterscotch chips in a large glass bowl (or two separate bowls, if preferred). Heat for 1 minute and then stir. Then, heat in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until the chips are completely melted.
- Pour chocolate-butterscotch mixture over the cereal mixture in the baking pan and spread out evenly. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until the chocolate hardens.
- Remove from refrigerator and slice into 9 sections before serving. Enjoy!
Scotcheroos are a special treat that require specific ingredients, but if you're in a bind, there are some substitutes you can use. Instead of using rice cereal, you could try using cornflakes or graham crackers. For the peanut butter, any type of nut butter will work, or you could even use a chocolate spread. And instead of using chocolate chips, you could chop up a bar of chocolate or use raisins or other dried fruit. So don't be afraid to get creative - with a little ingenuity, you can make Scotcheroos that are just as delicious as the original!
Scotcheroos are a special treat that can last for weeks in the fridge. Scotcheroos are a mix of cereal, peanut butter, and chocolate that is held together by a sticky syrup. Scotcheroos are best stored in an airtight container in the fridge. Scotcheroos will last for up to 2 weeks in the fridge
To prevent lumps when melting the butterscotch chips, melt them in a separate bowl.
For a thicker chocolate-butterscotch topping, double the amount of chocolate chips and butterscotch chips.