What is Seafood Bisque Soup?
Do you know what a bisque is? It's a type of soup that is made with vegetables and seafood. The word "bisque" comes from the French word "biscuit," which means to cook something in boiling water or steam. In this recipe, we will be making seafood bisque soup!
Seafood Bisque Soup for cold winter evenings
Grandmother would make this creamy Seafood Bisque Soup for us on cold winter evenings. The best part is that she would let me help her by stirring the pot! It's funny how one dish can take you back to your childhood and remind you of all the good times with family. Now I love making this dish for my own grandkids because it brings back so many memories. And they absolutely love putting their hands in the pot too! This dish is perfect for any occasion and will please even those who don't like seafood as much as it does those who do. If you're looking for a hearty soup to warm up with, give this recipe a try - we think you'll enjoy it just as much
Start by searing some butter
An easy-to-follow recipe for shrimp bisque soup. We will start by searing some butter and then adding veggies such as onion, celery, carrots, and garlic. After that, we will add flour and whisk it into our pot until it becomes thickened before adding wine followed by canned tomatoes. Next, we're going to add salt, pepper,
This recipe makes enough for 4 servings but can be easily doubled or tripled to fit your needs
Ingredients include octopus, shrimp, ( or any other combination of seafood ), onion, garlic, butter, flour, salt & pepper, celery juice from the jar of chopped celery stalks in water (this will help give it more flavor), heavy cream (or milk), chicken broth or vegetable broth as needed to thin out soup if desired
Rich and creamy soup
The dish is a rich and creamy soup with chunks of octopus, shrimp, celery, carrots, onion, and potatoes. The bisque is finished off with brandy, bouquet garni, and heavy cream to give it extra richness. This recipe will take about 50 minutes from start to finish so I hope you’ve got all your ingredients ready! You can also make this soup vegetarian by substituting some or all of the seafood for vegetable broth. It's as easy as that!
1 ½ pounds small or medium cooked shrimps
1 ½ tablespoons vegetable oil
2 onions, halved and sliced
2 celery stalks, sliced
8 cups of water
A few drops of lemon juice
2 tablespoons tomato paste
¼ cup butter
½ cup all-purpose flour
3-4 tablespoons brandy
⅔ cup whipping cream
Salt and white paper to taste
Serves 6 - 8
Directions are as follows
1. Start off with 8 cups of water.
2. In a large pot over medium heat cook onions until softened then add garlic and cook for another minute before adding butter
2. Add the octopus, or shrimp, and any other seafood cook until they turn pink on both sides.
3. Remove from heat and strain through a fine-mesh strainer into another soup pot or bowl. Discard the vegetables.
4. Make a roux by melting the butter in a small saucepan over low heat, then whisk in the flour. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
5. Gradually add the brandy to the roux, whisking constantly until smooth. cook for 1 minute more, stirring constantly.
6 . Add the roux to the soup and stir until well mixed.
7. Bring the soup to a gentle boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
8. Stir in the cream and season to taste with salt and white pepper. Heat through but do not boil. Serve hot with croutons or toast points
This recipe will take about 50 minutes from start to finish so I hope you’ve got all your ingredients ready! You can also make this soup vegetarian by substituting some or all of the seafood for vegetable broth. It's as easy as that!