Tuscan Sausage & Potato Soup is the epitome of hearty, soul-warming comfort. Imagine a rich, tomato-based broth infused with the savory goodness of Italian sausage, tender chunks of potatoes, and a symphony of herbs. This comforting soup not only fills your kitchen with an irresistible aroma but also fills your bowl with a satisfying, rustic Italian experience.
Whether you're curled up on a chilly evening or sharing it with loved ones around the table, this soup is an invitation to savor the simple pleasures of life.
This Tuscan Sausage & Potato Soup is a flavorful journey that transports you to the heart of Italy.
The beauty of this Tuscan creation lies in its versatility. You can customize it with your favorite greens, beans, or even a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese to suit your taste. Whether you're looking for a quick and cozy weeknight dinner or a hearty starter for a gathering, this Tuscan Sausage & Potato Soup is a flavorful journey that transports you to the heart of Italy, offering a taste of the Italian countryside in every spoonful. So, ladle up and enjoy a bowl of pure comfort and tradition.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 3-7 hours
Ingredients needed to make Tuscan Sausage & Potato Soup
4 oz. pancetta, cubed
2 lbs. bulk mild sausage
2 15-oz. cans cannellini beans*
6-7 c. chicken stock, divided
1 T. crushed red pepper flakes
2-3 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
2 lbs. Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
3” hard Parmesan cheese rind
Salt and black pepper, to taste
½ c. half and half, tempered**
3 c. fresh kale, finely chopped
½ c. Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
How to make Tuscan Sausage & Potato Soup
- Brown pancetta in a large skillet over medium-high heat for 2 or 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add sausage to the same skillet and brown, breaking it up into small bite-sized chunks with a spatula while it cooks. Remove from heat and carefully drain excess fat from the pan. Transfer pancetta and sausage to a 5 or 6-quart slow cooker crock.
- Puree one can of cannellini beans (undrained) in a blender or food processor. Drain and rinse the other can of cannellini beans and add the puree and whole beans to slow cooker crock.
- Add 6 cups chicken stock, red pepper flakes, chopped onion, potatoes, and Parmesan cheese, rind to crock, and stir to combine. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7. Remove lid and add tempered half and half, kale, freshly grated Parmesan cheese and remaining chicken stock, if necessary, to achieve the desired consistency. Stir to combine and allow 5-10 minutes for kale to soften before serving.
Variation on the Tuscan Sausage & Potato Soup recipe
Here are 10 delightful variations to add a twist to your Tuscan Sausage & Potato Soup:
- Kale and White Bean: Incorporate chopped kale and white beans for added fiber and a rustic Tuscan touch.
- Spicy Sausage: Use spicy Italian sausage to give your soup a kick of heat.
- Cannellini Beans: Swap the potato with cannellini beans for a protein-rich alternative.
- Smoked Paprika: Add a dash of smoked paprika for a smoky flavor layer.
- Italian Herbs: Boost the herbaceous aroma with a blend of Italian herbs like oregano, basil, and thyme.
- Creamy Variation: Stir in a touch of heavy cream for a creamy and indulgent version.
- Lemon Zest: Grate some fresh lemon zest over your soup for a burst of brightness.
- Roasted Garlic: Roast garlic cloves and blend them into the soup for a mellow, sweet garlic flavor.
- Vegetarian Twist: Omit the sausage and go for a vegetarian version with vegetable broth and your choice of meatless sausage.
- Bacon Garnish: Crisp up bacon bits and use them as a garnish to add a smoky crunch to each bowl.
These creative variations will breathe new life into your Tuscan Sausage & Potato Soup, ensuring a diverse and exciting culinary experience. Enjoy experimenting in the kitchen! 🍲🌿🍴
Equipment used in making Tuscan Sausage & Potato Soup recipe
Top Tips to Know When Making Tuscan Sausage & Potato Soup
Here are 10 top tips to keep in mind when making Tuscan Sausage & Potato Soup:
- Choose the Right Sausage: Select quality Italian sausage, whether sweet or spicy, depending on your preference.
- Brown the Sausage: Give the sausage a nice sear before adding it to the soup for extra flavor.
- Vegetable Prep: Ensure even chopping of vegetables so they cook uniformly.
- Potato Size: Cut potatoes into bite-sized pieces to speed up cooking and make them easier to eat.
- Herb Freshness: Use fresh herbs for the best flavor. Dried herbs can be used sparingly if needed.
- Low and Slow: Simmer the soup on low heat to let the flavors meld together.
- Stir Occasionally: Stir the soup occasionally to prevent sticking and ensure even cooking.
- Adjust Seasoning: Taste your soup and adjust the seasoning (salt, pepper, herbs) as needed throughout the cooking process.
- Greens Last: If adding greens, stir them in at the end to maintain their vibrant color and texture.
- Reheat Gently: When reheating, do it gently to avoid overcooking the potatoes and maintain the soup's creamy texture.
Following these tips will help you create a delicious and well-balanced Tuscan Sausage & Potato Soup that's sure to impress. Enjoy your culinary adventure! 🍲🥖🍽️
Storage for the Tuscan Sausage & Potato Soup
You can store your Tuscan Sausage & Potato Soup in the fridge for about 3 to 4 days. To keep it fresh, transfer the soup to an airtight container or a sealable bag. It's a good practice to reheat it gently to maintain the soup's texture and flavors when you're ready to enjoy it again. Always use your best judgment and perform a quick visual and smell check to ensure it's still safe to eat after refrigeration.Print