Vegetarian Black Bean Stuffed Peppers are a delicious vegetarian appetizer that is full of flavor and sure to be a hit at any gathering or party. The filling for these peppers can easily be adjusted to fit everyone's tastes, allowing each person to customize their own dish.
You can switch out the black beans for other vegetarian fillings such as lentils, quinoa, or bulgur wheat. Furthermore, you can change up the spices while being mindful of dietary restrictions if needed. Vegetarian Black Bean Stuffed Peppers are a simple yet tasty alternative with endless possibilities.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Ingredients needed to make Vegetarian Black Bean Stuffed Peppers
- 4 large red bell peppers
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 t. ground cumin
- ½ t. oregano sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 c. long grain rice, rinsed and drained
- 1-½ c. vegetable broth
- 1-½ c. jarred tomato sauce
- 1 14-oz. can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 c. frozen corn
- 1 c. cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 scallions, sliced
- ½ c. parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 lime, sliced
Instructions for making Vegetarian Black Bean Stuffed Peppers
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a large baking sheet (like this one - https://amzn.to/3VDgazm with olive oil or spray with cooking spray.
- Cut peppers in half and remove the seeds.
- Arrange cut-side down on a baking sheet and place in the oven to roast for 15-20 minutes.
- While peppers are roasting, make the filling.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, cumin, and oregano; generously season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion becomes translucent, 2-3 minutes.
- Add rice, vegetable broth, and jarred tomato sauce. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and bring to a boil. Once it starts boiling, reduces the heat to a simmer and cover it with a lid.
- Cook, covered until the rice is cooked through, 12-15 minutes.
- Add beans and frozen corn and continue cooking just until the corn is warmed for 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove peppers from the oven.
- Flip them over and stuff them with the rice and bean mixture.
- Top with cheddar cheese and return to the oven until the peppers are soft and the cheese is melted approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Serve topped with scallions, fresh parsley, and lime slices. Enjoy!
For variations of Vegetarian Black Bean Stuffed Peppers, the possibilities are seemingly endless. You can start with the basics and switch out the black beans for your favorite type of beans such as pinto, kidney or red, or you could get creative and add in a mix of grains such as quinoa or farro. If you want to make them more savory, try adding in some cooked onions or diced tomatoes, or even some diced jalapenos for a spicy kick. Adding cheese and herbs like oregano or basil can also take this dish to the next level. With all these variations, you can make Vegetarian Black Bean Stuffed Peppers into a delicious meal unique each time!
Vegetarian Black Bean Stuffed Peppers are one of the most flavorful dishes of all time! But how long can you store them in the fridge to maintain their nutritional value and taste? The great news is that if stored properly, they can last up to 2 to 4 days. To help your Vegetarian Black Bean Stuffed Peppers last longer, make sure to tightly wrap them in parchment paper or aluminum foil before refrigerating. For maximum storage life, place the peppers into a sealed storage container with a tight-fitting lid. With the right storage techniques, you can enjoy delicious Vegetarian Black Bean Stuffed Peppers for days at a time!
Vegetarian Black Bean Stuffed Peppers are a delicious way to feed a crowd with vegetarian fare. To get the tastiest results, here are some top tips. First, be sure to rinse and drain canned beans thoroughly until there is no liquid left. This will ensure your peppers have a great texture. Next, precook the rice before adding it to the pepper stuffing filling so it doesn't become too mushy when cooked in the oven. Finally, top the peppers with cheese for added flavor and richness - cheddar and Monterey jack are both great options! With these top tips, you can make truly delicious Vegetarian Black Bean Stuffed Peppers that everyone will enjoy.