There's something about the warm, buttery crust of an apple pie that just screams comfort. But add a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top? That's the ultimate indulgence - and it's called apple pie a la mode.
The contrasting temperatures of the warm pie and cool ice cream create perfect harmony in your mouth, and the creamy sweetness of the ice cream pairs beautifully with the tart apples and cinnamon-spiced filling. It's a classic dessert that has been enjoyed for generations, and for good reason - it's absolutely delicious. So next time you're craving something sweet, treat yourself to a slice of Apple Pie a la Mode.
How Popular is Apple Pie a la mode?
Apple Pie a la mode has been a crowd-pleaser for decades, and its popularity doesn't seem to be dwindling anytime soon. The classic combination of warm, spiced apple pie and a scoop of ice cream offers a delightful burst of flavors and textures in every bite. It's no wonder why this dessert holds a special place in the hearts of many. Whether it's served at home or in a fancy restaurant, Apple Pie a la mode remains a beloved dessert for all seasons. With recipe variations and personal twists, this dessert has managed to remain current and continue its reign as one of the most popular recipes around.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Bake time: 45-50 minutes
- How Popular is Apple Pie a la mode?
- Ingredients needed to make Apple Pie a la mode
- Pie Crust Ingredients:
- Pie Filling Ingredients:
- How to make Apple Pie a la mode
- Variations on the Apple Pie a la mode recipe
- Equipment used in making Apple Pie a la mode
- Storage for the Apple Pie a la mode
- Top tips for making Apple Pie a la mode
- The All-Time favorite Classic, Apple Pie a la Mode
Ingredients needed to make Apple Pie a la mode
Pie Crust Ingredients:
- 3 c. All-purpose flour
- 1 t. salt
- 1¼ c. vegetable shortening
- 7-12 T. Ice-cold water
Pie Filling Ingredients:
- 6 c. peeled and sliced apples
- ⅔ c. granulated sugar
- 1 t. ground cinnamon
- ⅛ t. ground nutmeg
- 2 T. unsalted butter, cut into 4 or 5 pieces
Note: To make a deep dish pie, double the filling ingredients and roll out the bottom crust to a 12-13 inch diameter.
How to make Apple Pie a la mode
- Place the top oven rack in the center position and preheat oven to 450°F.
- To prepare pie crust, add flour, salt, and vegetable shortening to a large bowl and mix with a hand mixer. Gradually add ice-cold water until the dough binds together and can form a ball. Place in the refrigerator and chill for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add sliced apples, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg to a large bowl and toss gently to combine.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and divide it into 2 even sections. Roll out each piece of dough into a 10-11 inch diameter for a 9-inch pie.
- Line a 9-inch pie pan with one of the crusts. Transfer the apple filling to the pie crust.
- Place the top crust over the pie and crimp the edges together. Cut 4-5 vents into the top crust with a sharp knife and place a small piece of butter in each. Cover edges with foil or a pie crust protector to prevent over-browning.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 450°F. Reduce temperature to 350°F and continue baking for another 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing and serving with some No Churn Vanilla Ice Cream, if desired. Enjoy!
Variations on the Apple Pie a la mode recipe
Apple Pie a la Mode is a classic dessert that is as comforting as ever. But have you ever thought about how it can be elevated to the next level? There are endless variations you can make to this already delicious treat.
One option is to swap out the traditional pie crust for a crumbly buttery streusel topping.
You can also experiment with different spices, such as adding a dash of cardamom or nutmeg for a unique twist on the classic cinnamon flavor.
Another option is to mix together different types of apples to add depth and variety to the filling.
Instead of vanilla ice cream, try a scoop of caramel or even maple pecan ice cream for a decadent twist. The possibilities are endless, and it's a fun and creative way to put your own spin on a timeless dessert.
Equipment used in making Apple Pie a la mode
Storage for the Apple Pie a la mode
Apple pie is a delicious treat that is perfect for any occasion. But what happens when you bake one and don't eat it all? Can you store it in the fridge and enjoy it later? The answer is yes, but for how long? According to experts, apple pie can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days. It is important to cover it with plastic wrap or aluminum foil to prevent it from drying out. When you're ready to enjoy it again, simply reheat it in the oven or microwave for a few minutes and savor the comfort food goodness. So go ahead and bake that apple pie to your heart's content- you can now enjoy it over the course of a few days without any worry.
Top tips for making Apple Pie a la mode
Making apple pie a la mode can be a delicious dessert to serve at any event. To ensure that your creation is the best it can be, there are a few tips you should keep in mind. First, choose the right apples. You want ones that are firm, tart, and juicy, such as Granny Smith or Honeycrisp. Next, add the right mix of spices, such as cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice, to create that perfect, cozy flavor. When making the pie crust, using cold butter and water will create a flaky, crispy crust that pairs perfectly with the warm, gooey filling. Finally, top it all off with a scoop of vanilla ice cream to balance out the sweetness of the pie. With these tips, you'll be sure to impress your guests with your delicious Apple Pie a la Mode.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]: