Banana Cream Pie is a classic dessert that will always bring a smile to people’s faces. The nice thing about this pie is that you can make it as simple or as complex as you want - top it with whipped cream, nuts, chocolate chips, or fresh fruit.
Desserts have always been the highlight of any meal, especially when it comes to a family dinner.
Banana Cream Pie is a classic dessert that will always bring a smile to people’s faces. Whether you’re baking it for your family on a special occasion or bringing it to a party, this dessert is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. The recipe is easy and most of the ingredients can be found in any kitchen pantry. No matter what, this delicious Banana Cream Pie is sure to satisfy everyone’s sweet tooth!
Prep time: 25 minutes (+ time to chill)
Baking time: 40 minutes
Yields 8 slices
Ingredients needed to make Banana Cream Pie
Pie Crust Ingredients:
- 1½ c. all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
- ½ t. salt
- ⅔ c. vegetable shortening
- 3-6 T. ice-cold water
Pie Filling Ingredients:
- 2 c. whole milk
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ c. granulated sugar
- ¼ t. salt
- ¼ c. cornstarch
- 1 oz. package unflavored gelatin
2 T. unsalted butter
- 2 t. real vanilla extract
- 4-6 ripe bananas, sliced
- Optional, to serve:
- Whipped cream and sliced bananas
Instructions for making the Banana Cream Pie recipe
- Place the top oven rack in the center position and preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Use a stand or hand-held mixer to prepare the pie crust. Add the flour, salt, and shortening in a medium-sized bowl and mix to combine.
- Add the ice-cold water a little at a time, until the dough clumps together and can form a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a 12-inch diameter. Fold the dough in half and then in half again and transfer to a 9-inch diameter deep-dish pie plate. Press the dough down into the pie pan. Trim if there is more than ½ inch of excess dough hanging over the edges. Fold the edges of the dough under, and then crimp together with your thumb or a fork.
- Line the pie crust with parchment paper and fill it with pie weights or dry beans. Blind bake (aka “pre-bake”) the crust in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove the crust from the oven and remove the dry beans or pie weights. Set aside.
- To make the filling, combine the milk, cream, eggs, sugar, salt, cornstarch, and gelatin in a large saucepan. Stir until well blended and heat over medium-low heat while whisking often. When the custard has thickened and becomes difficult to stir, turn the heat off and stir in the butter and vanilla. Set aside.
- Slice the bananas and line the bottom of the pie crust with two layers of sliced bananas. Pour the custard over the bananas and smooth the custard out throughout the pie.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- When the baking time finishes, remove the pie from the oven and cool it completely before transferring to the refrigerator. Chill for a few hours or overnight before serving.
- To serve, top with whipped cream and additional banana slices, if desired. Enjoy!
Variations on the Banana Cream Pie recipe
With just a couple of simple tweaks, you can make variations to the classic Banana Cream Pie recipe that will impress friends and family alike at your next get-together. Whether you choose to mix in fresh fruit like raspberries or blueberries to create a delicious tart-and-sweet combination, sprinkle on some chopped nuts for an extra crunch factor, or top it off with meringue instead of whipped cream for a special twist, your Banana Cream Pie is sure to be the hit of the party. So don't hesitate to get creative in the kitchen and experiment with different ideas—you just may come up with your own unique take on this timeless dessert.
Equipment used in making Banana Cream Pie
Storage for the Banana Cream Pie
Storing Banana Cream Pie in the fridge can provide the perfect cooling for this classic dessert. Though it might not last for weeks on end, if stored the right way, Banana Cream Pie can remain yummy and fresh for a few days. The trick? Make sure to wrap it well so nobody else in your family grabs a piece when they're looking for a snack or use it up while they are prepping something else in the kitchen. It's also great if you have any leftovers from a party - just pop it into the fridge and give it a few hours of chill time before digging in again! With proper storage techniques, this beloved recipe can bring delight to the table even after a day or two.
Top tips on making Banana Cream Pie
This delicious dessert is sure to satisfy everyone’s taste buds, but it can be tricky to make at times. Here are some top tips that can help ensure your Banana Cream Pie turns out perfectly every time. Start by making sure all your ingredients are at room temperature before baking since this will create a light and fluffy texture that makes for an excellent dessert. Additionally, when preparing pastry for the pie crust, work quickly with cold hands so that the dough doesn’t become too warm and sticky. Finally, use plenty of cream on top of the banana slices before layering them as doing this will leave you with a moist finish that is guaranteed to be mouth-wateringly delicious!
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]: