If you’re looking for a hearty, flavorful dinner to make that everyone will love, look no further than this Cajun Red Beans & Rice Skillet. It’s made with the “Cajun trinity” of celery, green bell peppers, and onions and filled with smoky bacon and red beans that are cooked in a savory tomato sauce.
This dish is sure to be an instant hit on any dinner table or gathering. It's perfect for entertaining as the flavor combinations come together perfectly in one skillet that won't leave you stuck in front of the stove all night. Give it a try and your taste buds won’t be disappointed!
Cajun Red Beans and Rice Skillet is a delicious and wholesome choice
If you're looking for an easy dinner option to please the entire family, or perhaps even an impressive meal when entertaining or gathering with friends, Cajun Red Beans and Rice Skillet is a delicious and wholesome choice. This one-skillet dish has all of the flavors of traditional southern cuisine - thanks to “the Cajun trinity” of celery, onion, and green pepper - that will bring spicy joy to any dinner table. Best of all, whether you crave a meatless meal or prefer to add sausage, shrimp, or chicken to the mix, this dish can be tailored to your individual tastes and preferences.
This hearty one-skillet meal is inspired by the flavors of the classic Louisiana dish. However, this version comes together in one pot, rather than served with cooked white rice on the side. Although this dish offers a distinctly different visual presentation from the classic version, the robust flavor profile makes for a very satisfying meal.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 35-40 minutes
Ingredients needed for making Cajun Red Beans & Rice Skillet
- Cajun Seasoning Ingredients:
- 1 T. garlic powder
- 1 T. smoked paprika
- ½ T. onion powder
- 2 t. dried oregano
- 1 t. dried thyme
- 2 t. cayenne pepper
- 1 t. ground white pepper
- 2 t. fine sea salt
- Skillet Ingredients:
- 3 3-oz. Cajun Andouille sausage links, sliced
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 c. chopped white onion
- 1 c. chopped celery
- 1 c. chopped green bell pepper
- ½ c. chopped red bell pepper
- 1-2 T. Cajun seasoning, divided
- 1 c. basmati rice*
- 2 c. chicken broth or water
- 2 15-oz. cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 T. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- *Recipe developed and tested with basmati rice. Cook time will vary if using different types of rice. Check package instructions and adjust accordingly.
Instructions for making Cajun Red Beans & Rice Skillet
- Prepare the Cajun seasoning by combining all ingredients together in a bowl. Stir to combine and transfer to an airtight container. Set aside.
- Add Andouille sausage to a large skillet set over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally until the sausage is browned on each side, approximately 4-5 minutes. Transfer browned sausage to a plate and set aside.
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet and increase to medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, green pepper, and red pepper. Sprinkle with one tablespoon Cajun seasoning and stir to combine. Cook, stirring frequently until the vegetables soften and develop some color, approximately 5-6 minutes.
- Add the remaining olive oil and the rice to the skillet. Toast the rice for 1-2 minutes, while stirring continually. Add the chicken broth and deglaze the skillet by lightly scraping the bottom with a spatula or wooden spoon to loosen any browned bits.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, then immediately reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the lid and add the browned Andouille sausage, kidney beans, and additional Cajun seasoning, if desired. Stir to combine and cover for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and add the fresh parsley. Fluff the rice with a fork while stirring the parsley into the mixture. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Adding variations to your Red Beans & Rice Skillet can give the classic Cajun meal a delicious twist. Start with the fundamental “Cajun trinity” of celery, bell pepper, and onion, then get creative by adding diced sausage, smoked ham hocks, or crumbled bacon to create an entrée packed with flavor. You can also add a spicy kick with some minced andouille sausage, or throw in some chopped kale for added nutrition. Spicing it up is easy too – explore variations of mild chili powder or cayenne pepper for more intense heat. Whether you're just making dinner for your family or entertaining a large gathering at home, this Cajun classic will be sure to satisfy everyone's taste buds!
Where to find Recommended Seasoning
Storing Cajun Red Beans and Rice Skillet is a breeze! This delicious dinner recipe can last you quite a while in the fridge. After cooking, simply scoop leftovers into an airtight storage container and keep it cool in the refrigerator. You'll be able to enjoy this flavorful dish made with the classic "Cajun trinity" of pepper, onion, and celery for up to four days. Not only is this one-pot meal perfect for weeknight dinners - it also makes a great side dish for gatherings and entertaining. Whether you're dining solo or hosting for friends and family, the storage capabilities of this dish make it too good to pass up.
Cooking up a delicious serving of Cajun Red Beans & Rice Skillet is easy with these top tips. First, make sure to get the right type of rice; long-grain rice works best. Ensure that you season your vegetables before adding them to the base sauce or else it will taste bland. Don't be stingy with those spices either; they really bring the dish together! Lastly, make sure to cook everything on medium heat and always keep an eye on it; Cajun Red Beans & Rice can turn out overcooked or burnt if not monitored properly! Follow these top tips, and you'll be enjoying this savory and spicy skillet in no time.
Note: Most commercially available Andouille sausage contains some sugar. If this is an issue, check out Niman Ranch (https://www.nimanranch.com/) for information on where to buy their sugar-free version.