This homemade chicken avocado salad is the perfect healthy recipe to bring to your next potluck! It's packed with protein from the chicken, and healthy fats from the avocados, and is tossed in a homemade vinaigrette.
Plus, it's easy to make ahead of time so you can enjoy spending time with your friends and family instead of being stuck in the kitchen. Simply combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl, then store in the fridge until you're ready to serve. When you're ready to eat, give the salad a good stir and enjoy!
How healthy is Chicken Avocado Salad with Homemade Vinaigrette?
Assuming the dressing is homemade with healthy ingredients and assuming you're not loading up the salad with a bunch of unhealthy toppings, this salad can be quite healthy. Chicken avocado salad with homemade vinaigrette can provide a good source of protein, healthy fats, and vitamins and minerals, depending on what else you include in the salad. For example, adding in some dark leafy greens like spinach or kale provides a good dose of vitamins A and C, while including tomatoes provides lycopene. This healthy salad is not only delicious but satisfying as well. chicken avocado salad with homemade vinaigrette can definitely be part of a healthy diet. Just be mindful of the ingredients you use and don't overdo it on the unhealthy toppings.
Ingredients needed to make Chicken Avocado Salad with Homemade Vinaigrette
2 T. honey, preferably local
1 T. whole grain mustard
1 T. Dijon mustard
3 T. extra virgin olive oil
2 T. white balsamic vinegar
1 T. shallots, finely minced
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
8 thick-cut slices bacon, diced
1½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
4 c. mixed salad greens (lettuce of choice)
2 c. grape or cherry tomatoes, diced
2 large avocados, pitted and sliced
2 T. fresh lime juice
Instructions for making Chicken Avocado Salad with Homemade Vinaigrette
- Combine honey, mustards, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and shallots in a small, non-reactive bowl. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and whisk to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired. Cover and set aside until ready to use.
- Cook bacon, stirring occasionally, in a large skillet over medium heat until just crispy, approximately 5-6 minutes. Remove bacon from the skillet with a slotted spatula and transfer to a bed of paper towels to drain. Blot off excess grease and set aside.
- Drain all but approximately one tablespoon of bacon grease from the skillet and return to medium heat. (Carefully wipe any grease off the side of the pan with a heavy, damp cloth before returning to heat to prevent flare-ups).
- Add chicken to skillet and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink, approximately 6-7 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add salad greens and tomatoes to a large salad bowl and top with the cooked bacon and chicken.
- Toss avocado slices with fresh lime juice to prevent browning and add to salad bowl. Drizzle with half the salad dressing and gently toss to combine. Serve immediately on chilled individual salad plates with the remaining dressing on the side. Enjoy!
Chicken avocado salad is a healthy and delicious dish that can be made in many different ways. One of the great things about this salad is that it is very versatile and can be customized to your liking. For example, you can use any type of lettuce or greens that you like. Arugula, spinach, and romaine lettuce all work well in this salad. In terms of the chicken, you can either use cooked chicken breast or shredded rotisserie chicken. As for the avocado, you can either leave it in chunks or slice it thin. Finally, the vinaigrette can be made with any type of vinegar and oil that you prefer.
The possibilities are endless! So go ahead and experiment until you find the perfect combination for you.
When it comes to storing Chicken Avocado Salad with Homemade Vinaigrette, the key is to keep it fresh. This dish is best enjoyed within two days of being made. Any longer and the avocado will start to brown and the chicken will dry out. To extend its shelf life, store the salad in an airtight container in the fridge. When properly stored, this salad will last for up to four days. After that, it's best to throw it out. So, when in doubt, err on the side of caution and enjoy your Chicken Avocado Salad while it's still at its best!
Making a delicious and healthy chicken avocado salad is easy with the right ingredients and a little bit of know-how. Here are the top tips for making a perfect chicken avocado salad:
- Start with high-quality chicken breast. Look for chicken that is organic, free-range, and hormone-free. If possible, opt for boneless, skinless chicken breast to make things easier.
- Cut the chicken into small bite-sized pieces so that it will be evenly distributed in the salad.
- Slice or dice the avocado, depending on your preference. Remember to remove the pit and skin from the avocado before adding it to the salad.
- Mix together all of the salad ingredients in a large bowl, being careful not to overmix. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and your favorite herbs or spices.
- For the vinaigrette, mix together olive oil, vinegar, mustard, honey, and garlic in a small bowl or jar. Season to taste with salt and pepper.6 Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss to coat evenly. Serve immediately or chilled, as desired. Enjoy!