This healthy, delicious Chicken & Broccoli Skillet is the perfect choice for a family-friendly recipe; it is ideal for even the busiest of households. The combination of healthy ingredients will give your whole family something to celebrate, especially if you're having a holiday get-together.
Not only is this dish healthy and low in calories, but it's also easy to make and packed with flavor! With just a few ingredients and minimal prep time, you can enjoy hearty meals with your friends & family.
Just how good is Chicken & Broccoli Skillet?
Chicken & Broccoli Skillet is the epitome of the goodness of a balanced diet. Packed with the perfect amount of protein and the right number of carbs, you can eat the meal guilt-free. Additionally, the combination of the two ingredients yields a flavor that starts off mild and then brings about a burst of flavor that will have your taste buds wanting more. Not to mention, the added texture from the steamed broccoli creates an amazing-tasting bite. All in all, the Chicken & Broccoli Skillet is certainly an excellent choice for anyone looking for a nutritious and delicious meal.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
Ingredients needed to make Chicken & Broccoli Skillet
- 5 T. unsalted, divided
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3-4 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 T. lemon juice
- ½ c. chicken broth or water
- 1 c. red cabbage, chopped small
- 2 c. fresh or frozen broccoli florets, chopped small*
- 3 T. fresh parsley, chopped
- * For best results, use fresh broccoli as it will provide better color in the finished dish. If using frozen, thaw and drain completely before adding to the hot skillet.
Instructions for making Chicken & Broccoli Skillet
- Add 3 tablespoons butter and two tablespoons olive oil to a large skillet set over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until golden brown, approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Add chicken and season with salt and black pepper, as desired. Cook, stirring occasionally until the chicken is nicely browned on all sides, approximately 7-8 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a platter and set aside.
- Add the lemon juice and chicken broth and deglaze the bottom of the skillet by gently scraping with a spatula. Simmer until the liquid is reduced by half, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Add the remaining butter and oil to the hot skillet. Add the red cabbage and broccoli to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are just tender, approximately 2-3 minutes. Do not overcook.
- Return the chicken to the skillet and stir to combine. Once chicken is heated through, remove from heat. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve immediately. Enjoy!
When making Chicken & Broccoli Skillet, variations can easily be added for personal preference and to make the dish even more flavorful. Dried herbs such as basil, oregano, and garlic powder are great options since they can help enhance the flavor of the chicken, or you could use fresh herbs if desired. You could also add extra vegetables like bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, and zucchini if you want more nutrient-rich options. If you are looking for a more savory skillet dish then try adding things like Parmesan cheese or bacon bits - both will bring an extra level of creaminess and richness to it. No matter what variations you choose to go with for your Chicken & Broccoli Skillet, one thing is for sure: it will always be mouthwatering!
With proper storage, the Chicken & Broccoli Skillet can remain fresh and delicious in the fridge for up to four days. To keep it good for that long, make sure to store it in an airtight container or wrap it. Additionally, you should aim to consume the skillet within two hours of cooking, allowing time for any leftovers to chill before being placed in the refrigerator. Eating food that is not stored correctly or has been out of the fridge too long can lead to food-borne illness so make sure to observe safe storage practices and enjoy your Chicken & Broccoli Skillet with peace of mind!
If you're looking for top tips to make the perfect Chicken & Broccoli Skillet, one suggestion might be to always preheat your pan with a generous splash of oil before adding any ingredients. Not only will this help all the flavors cook evenly and brown nicely, but it will also ensure that all your bits and pieces don't stick together. Another top tip is to try different herbs and spices to give your dish an extra level of flavor. Adding a spoonful of fresh-chopped garlic, or some dried Italian herb mix can turn this dinner staple into something truly special. Finally, be sure not to overcook the chicken as it can result in dry meat and an unpleasant texture overall. With these top tips in mind, you'll soon become a master at making Chicken & Broccoli Skillet!