Chicken Cordon Bleu is a classic dish that is perfect for any special occasion. Chicken breasts are stuffed with ham and Swiss cheese, then coated in a crispy breadcrumb crust. The dish is finished with a creamy butter sauce that brings all the flavors together.
This recipe is sure to impress your guests and leave them asking for more. Serve Chicken Cordon Bleu with a side of roasted veggies or a simple salad for a complete meal. Bon appetit!
What is Chicken Cordon Bleu
Chicken Cordon Bleu with Creamy Butter Sauce is one of the most popular dishes served in restaurants. The dish gets its name from the French words for "chicken" and "blue ribbon." Chicken Cordon Bleu is traditionally made with chicken breast, ham, and Swiss cheese. The meat is rolled up and then coated with bread crumbs before being baked.
A rich and flavorful dish
The dish is usually served with a creamy butter sauce. Chicken Cordon Bleu is a rich and flavorful dish that is sure to please any palate. The dish is also relatively easy to make, making it a great option for a weeknight meal. Whether you're looking for a new recipe to try or simply want to enjoy a classic dish, Chicken Cordon Bleu with Creamy Butter Sauce is a great option.
The Goodness of Chicken
Chicken is often touted as a healthy alternative to red meat, but what are the real health benefits of eating chicken? Chicken Cordon Bleu with Creamy Butter Sauce is packed with protein, which is essential for building and repairing tissues. It also contains niacin, which helps to keep the digestive system functioning properly.
Chicken also provides a good source of selenium, a mineral that plays an important role in protecting cells from damage. In addition, Chicken Cordon Bleu with Creamy Butter Sauce contains all of the essential amino acids needed by the body. So not only is Chicken Cordon Bleu with Creamy Butter Sauce a delicious meal, it's also good for you!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 slices of deli ham
- 8 slices of baby Swiss cheese
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- ¾ c.all-purpose flour
- 1 T. Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ c. water
- 1½ c. panko bread crumbs
- ¼ c. Parmesan cheese, grated
- Sauce Ingredients:
- 1½ c. chicken broth
- ¼ c. Greek yogurt
- ¼ c. heavy cream
- 2 T. Dijon mustard
- ¼ c. unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- ¼ c. all-purpose flour
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- ¼ Parmesan cheese, grated
- Place the top oven rack in the center position and preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat™ baking mat. Set aside.
- Place chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet or rolling pin until ¼” thick. Top each chicken breast with 2 slices of deli ham and 2 slices of Swiss cheese.
- Tightly jelly roll each chicken breast and secure with toothpicks. Season with salt and black pepper, as desired, and set aside.
- Add the flour, ½ tablespoon Italian seasoning, and garlic powder to a shallow bowl. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Add the eggs and water to a second bowl. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- Add the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, and remaining Italian seasoning to a third bowl. Lightly season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired, and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Dredge each chicken breast in the seasoned flour until covered on all sides. Then dip the floured breasts into the egg wash and roll until coated. Finally, roll the egg-covered breasts in the seasoned breadcrumb mixture until thoroughly coated.
- Transfer each breast to the prepared baking sheet and place in the pre-heated oven. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the chicken reaches a safe internal temperature of just below 165°F on an instant-read thermometer. (The temperature will continue rising several degrees while the chicken rests).
- When the chicken is almost ready to come out of the oven, combine the chicken broth, Greek yogurt, heavy cream, and Dijon mustard in a medium bowl. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Add the butter to a small skillet set over medium heat. Stir occasionally until melted. Slowly whisk the flour in a little at a time until completely blended into the butter without any lumps remaining.
- Stir in the yogurt mixture and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook for several minutes, whisking continually until the sauce thickens and is heated through. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Remove chicken from the oven and let cool for several minutes before slicing. Serve immediately topped with the butter sauce and your choice of sides. Enjoy!
Chicken Cordon Bleu is a classic dish that typically features chicken, ham, and cheese wrapped in breading and fried or baked. The dish is then usually finished with a creamy butter sauce. While this dish is delicious as is, there are a few substitutes that can be used in making Chicken Cordon Bleu with Creamy Butter Sauce.
- For the chicken, pork tenderloin or veal cutlets can be used.
- For the cheese, Gruyere or Swiss cheese are good substitutes for the more traditional - Gruyere or Swiss cheeses. Finally,
- For the breading, panko bread crumbs or crushed crackers can be used in place of the more traditional bread crumbs.
These substitutes will still give you a delicious and decadent dish that is sure to please.
Chicken Cordon Bleu with Creamy Butter Sauce is a classic dish that can be enjoyed any time of year. If you have leftovers, they can be stored in the fridge for up to three to four days. When storing the dish, make sure to cover it tightly so that the sauce does not dry out. When you are ready to enjoy the leftovers, simply reheat them in a covered dish until they are hot all the way through. Chicken Cordon Bleu with Creamy Butter Sauce is a delicious dish that is well worth the effort, and leftovers are a great way to enjoy it again and again.
Top 5 tips
Chicken Cordon Bleu is a classic dish that is sure to impress any dinner guest. While it may seem like a complicated dish to prepare, it is actually quite simple. Follow these top 5 tips and you'll be on your way to Chicken Cordon Bleu perfection!
- Start with high-quality ingredients. Chicken Cordon Bleu is only as good as the ingredients you use, so be sure to use fresh, high-quality chicken breast and ham.
- Pound the chicken breast thin. This will help the chicken cook evenly and prevent it from drying out.
- Season the chicken breast with salt, pepper, and herbs before breading it. This will give the chicken extra flavor.
- Be sure to use enough butter in the sauce. The sauce is what really makes this dish special, so don't be afraid to go heavy on the butter!
- Allow the Chicken Cordon Bleu to rest for a few minutes before serving. This will allow the flavors to meld and the sauce to thicken slightly. Serve immediately with a side of steamed vegetables or roasted potatoes. Enjoy!