Creamy Mushroom Alfredo is a delicious and healthy recipe that makes a great dinner option. The dish is made with mushrooms, garlic, butter, heavy cream, and Parmesan cheese. It is simple to make and can be easily tailored to your own taste.
For a healthier version of the dish, you can substitute the heavy cream for milk or use low-fat cheese. If you are looking for a more indulgent version, you can add bacon or extra cheese. Creamy Mushroom Alfredo is a versatile recipe that can be adapted to suit any taste. So why not give it a try tonight?
You'll never go back
Creamy Mushroom Alfredo is definitely one of those recipes that sounds and tastes a lot more complicated than it really is. You might be thinking to yourself, "Why bother when I can just order it at the restaurant?" But trust me, once you've made Creamy Mushroom Alfredo at home, you'll never go back to the pre-made stuff again. Not only is it infinitely more delicious, but it's also so satisfying to know that you made this amazing dish all by yourself.
The goodness of Creamy Mushroom Alfredo
So what is so special about Creamy Mushroom Alfredo? For starters, it's the perfect balance of creamy and slightly acidic sauce. The mushrooms add an earthy depth of flavor, while the Parmesan cheese and parsley give it a nice cheesy and herby finish. And of course, let's not forget the pasta itself. Creamy Mushroom Alfredo is best made with long, thin pasta like spaghetti or fettuccine. The sauce clings perfectly to these noodles, making every bite an absolute delight. So if you're looking for an impressive but easy dinner recipe, look no further than Creamy Mushroom Alfredo!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 1 lb. Pappardelle
- 2 T. Butter
- 1 small onion, diced (2 or shallots)
- 1 lb. mixed mushrooms of choice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ C. low-sodium chicken broth
- ¾ C. heavy cream
- Sea Salt, to taste
- Black Pepper, to taste
- Fresh Parmesan Cheese, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pappardelle for 8 minutes or according to package directions very al dente. Pasta should be slightly undercooked as it will continue to cook in the sauce during the final stages of the recipe. Before draining, reserve ½ cup of cooking liquid.
- Heat butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Sauté onion and mushrooms until their moisture has evaporated and they are nicely browned. Add minced garlic and continue to sauté until fragrant, taking care not to allow garlic to burn or it will become bitter.
- Add chicken broth, stirring to release brown bits of flavor that may have accumulated on the bottom of the pan while sauteing. Simmer
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add heavy cream. Simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes until the sauce thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Season with black pepper to taste.
- Add pasta to the sauce. Toss gently to coat. Continue cooking 2-3 minutes. Pasta will absorb some of the sauce as it cooks. If the pasta becomes too thick add reserved cooking water 2 tablespoons at a time to desired consistency.
- Add freshly grated parmesan cheese to taste.
- Remove from heat.
If you're in the mood for Creamy Mushroom Alfredo but don't have all the ingredients on hand, don't worry! There are several substitutions you can make and still end up with a delicious dish. For example, if you don't have heavy cream, you can use milk instead. Just be aware that the sauce may not be quite as thick and creamy. Alternatively, you can try using half-and-half or even evaporated milk. If you don't have any mushrooms on hand, you can substitute another type of vegetables, such as broccoli or spinach. And if you're out of Parmesan cheese, you can use another type of hard cheese, such as cheddar or Swiss. With a little creativity, you can make Creamy Mushroom Alfredo even when you don't have all the ingredients!
Creamy Mushroom Alfredo can last in the fridge for 3-4 days. Be sure to store it in an airtight container or zip-lock bag. When reheating, be sure to heat until steaming hot throughout.
Do not microwave Creamy Mushroom Alfredo for more than 2 minutes at a time. Enjoy!
Top 5 tips
Creamy Mushroom Alfredo is a delicious and easy-to-make pasta dish that can be enjoyed any night of the week. Here are five top tips for making Creamy Mushroom Alfredo:
- Use a variety of mushrooms for maximum flavor. Button mushrooms are a classic choice, but feel free to mix it up with shiitake, oyster, or portobello mushrooms.
- Sauté the mushrooms until they are golden brown and fragrant. This will help to bring out their natural flavors.
- Be sure to use a good quality Alfredo sauce. Pre-made sauces can be convenient, but they can also be quite bland. For a truly Creamy Mushroom Alfredo, opt for a homemade sauce made with cream, Parmesan cheese, and fresh herbs.
- Don't forget the garlic! Garlic adds a wonderful depth of flavor to Creamy Mushroom Alfredo, so be sure to add it in early on when sautéing the mushrooms.
- Serve Creamy Mushroom Alfredo with a green salad and crusty bread for a complete meal. Enjoy!