We're bringing together two beloved favorites—waffles and ice cream—to create a dessert that is not only delicious but also a fun and creative project for the whole family. These irresistible waffle ice cream sandwiches combine the warm, fluffy goodness of homemade waffles with the cool, creamy sweetness of ice cream, making them a delightful treat for any occasion.
Whether you're planning a special birthday celebration, a summertime gathering, or simply looking to satisfy your sweet tooth, these waffle ice cream sandwiches are sure to bring smiles to everyone's faces
And the best part? You can customize them to suit your family's preferences, allowing each member to create their own unique flavor combinations.
In this blog post, we'll guide you through the step-by-step process of making these delightful treats.
In this blog post, we'll guide you through the step-by-step process of making these delightful treats. From preparing the perfect waffle batter and cooking golden, crispy waffles to selecting and layering your favorite ice cream flavors, we'll provide all the tips and tricks you need to create a memorable dessert experience.
We'll also share some creative ideas for toppings and add-ons to take your waffle ice cream sandwiches to the next level. From sprinkles, chocolate chips, and crushed cookies to drizzles of caramel or chocolate sauce, the possibilities are endless. These treats are not only delicious but also a canvas for creativity, allowing kids to let their imaginations run wild.
So, gather your little chefs, put on your aprons, and get ready for a delightful adventure in the kitchen. Together, we'll create Kid-Friendly Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches that will have everyone asking for seconds. Let's dive into this sweet, playful, and utterly irresistible recipe that will surely become a family favorite. Get ready to indulge in a delightful combination of crispy waffles and creamy ice cream—this is a treat that's sure to make lasting memories!
Prep time: 5 minutes (+ time to chill sandwiches)
Cook time: 10-12 minutes
Yields 4 ice cream sandwiches
- In this blog post, we'll guide you through the step-by-step process of making these delightful treats.
- Ingredients needed to make waffle ice cream sandwiches
- How to make waffle ice cream sandwiches
- Variations on the waffle ice cream sandwiches recipe
- Equipment used to make the waffle ice cream sandwiches
- Storage for the waffle ice cream sandwiches
- Top tips for making waffle ice cream sandwiches
- Kid-Friendly Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches
Ingredients needed to make waffle ice cream sandwiches
4 square waffles, cut into 8 rectangles (or 8 Eggo® Wafflers)
Vanilla bean ice cream
Chocolate Syrup Ingredients:
½ c. water
½ c. white sugar
⅓ c. unsweetened dark cocoa powder
1 t. real vanilla extract
⅛ t. salt
Optional topping ideas:
How to make waffle ice cream sandwiches
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and arrange the waffles on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Remove ice cream from the freezer to soften slightly.
- Place baking sheet in preheated oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, flipping the waffles halfway through. Once the waffles are golden brown, remove the baking sheet from the oven and set aside to cool for several minutes.
- Prepare the chocolate syrup by combining the water, sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and salt in a small skillet set over medium heat. Whisk vigorously until the sugar is dissolved and the cocoa powder is thoroughly incorporated into the mixture, approximately 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Add a scoop of ice cream to four of the waffles and spread into an even layer. Top each with one of the remaining toasted waffles to create a “sandwich.”
- Place the ice cream sandwiches back on the baking tray and place them in the freezer for 30 minutes to firm up. Remove the baking sheet from the freezer and top with the chocolate sauce, plus sprinkles and/or chopped nuts, if desired, before serving. Enjoy!
Variations on the waffle ice cream sandwiches recipe
the beauty of this recipe lies in its versatility and the opportunity to experiment with different flavors and combinations. Let your imagination run wild and customize your waffle ice cream sandwiches to suit your preferences and taste preferences. Enjoy the process of creating unique and delicious treats that will be a hit with both kids and adults alike!
1- Flavored Waffles: Experiment with different flavored waffles to enhance the taste and create exciting combinations. Add a hint of cinnamon or vanilla extract to the waffle batter for a warm and aromatic touch. You can also try using chocolate or pumpkin waffle recipes for a rich and indulgent experience.
2- Cookie Crust: Before assembling the ice cream sandwiches, roll the sides of the waffles in crushed cookies or graham crackers to create a delightful crust. It adds an extra layer of texture and flavor to the sandwiches. Choose your favorite cookies, such as chocolate chip, Oreo, or gingersnap, and give your ice cream sandwiches a delightful twist.
3-Ice Cream Flavors: Get creative with the ice cream flavors you choose. Opt for classic choices like vanilla, chocolate, or strawberry, or explore more adventurous options like mint chocolate chip, cookies, and cream, or salted caramel. Consider mixing and matching different flavors within a single sandwich for an exciting taste experience.
4- Toppings and Fillings: Enhance your waffle ice cream sandwiches with various toppings and fillings. Add a layer of sliced fresh fruits like strawberries, bananas, or raspberries between the waffles and ice cream for a burst of freshness. You can also sprinkle crushed nuts, toasted coconut, or mini chocolate chips on the exposed ice cream edges for added texture and flavor.
5- Ice Cream Alternatives: If you prefer a lighter or dairy-free option, consider using frozen yogurt, sorbet, or vegan ice cream as alternatives to traditional dairy-based ice cream. These options offer a wide range of flavors and can accommodate dietary preferences or restrictions.
Equipment used to make the waffle ice cream sandwiches
Storage for the waffle ice cream sandwiches
While it is possible to store Kid-Friendly Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches in the fridge, it's important to note that they are best enjoyed when freshly assembled and frozen. The waffles can become soft and lose their crispness when refrigerated, and the ice cream can melt and affect the overall texture.
If you need to store the ice cream sandwiches for a short period, you can wrap each sandwich tightly in plastic wrap or place them in an airtight container and refrigerate them for up to 1-2 days. However, keep in mind that the longer they are refrigerated, the more the waffles may lose their desired texture.
For longer storage, it is recommended to freeze the Kid-Friendly Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches. After assembling the sandwiches, place them in an airtight container or wrap them individually in plastic wrap or parchment paper. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 2-3 weeks.
Before serving, allow the sandwiches to thaw slightly for a few minutes to make them easier to bite into. However, keep in mind that the ice cream may still be firm, so it's best to monitor the texture and adjust the thawing time accordingly.
Remember, the fresher the ice cream sandwiches, the better the taste and texture. It's recommended to enjoy them shortly after assembly or within a few days if stored properly in the freezer.
Top tips for making waffle ice cream sandwiches
Here are some top tips to keep in mind when making Kid-Friendly Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches:
- Preheat and Grease the Waffle Iron: Ensure that your waffle iron is preheated to the proper temperature before pouring the batter. This helps achieve evenly cooked waffles with a crispy exterior. Additionally, make sure to grease the waffle iron with cooking spray or melted butter to prevent sticking.
- Optimal Waffle Thickness: Aim for waffles that are not too thick or too thin. Thicker waffles may make it difficult to bite through the sandwich, while thinner ones might become too fragile and break. Adjust the amount of batter poured into the waffle iron to achieve a golden-brown waffle that holds its shape.
- Allow Waffles to Cool: After cooking the waffles, allow them to cool completely before assembling the ice cream sandwiches. Cooling the waffles helps prevent the ice cream from melting too quickly and maintains a better structure for the sandwiches.
- Soften the Ice Cream: For easier assembly, allow the ice cream to soften slightly at room temperature. It should be soft enough to spread, but not melted. This makes it easier to evenly distribute the ice cream between the waffle layers.
- Freeze Before Serving: After assembling the waffle ice cream sandwiches, place them in the freezer for at least 1-2 hours, or until firm. Freezing allows the ice cream to set and adhere to the waffles, making the sandwiches easier to handle and preventing them from falling apart.
- Wrap Individually: To store the ice cream sandwiches or transport them for a picnic or gathering, wrap each sandwich individually in plastic wrap or parchment paper. This prevents them from sticking together and makes it easier to grab and enjoy whenever desired.
- Get Creative with Shapes: Use different shapes for your waffles to add a fun element to the ice cream sandwiches. Try heart-shaped waffles for Valentine's Day or star-shaped waffles for Independence Day. Kids will love the playful and festive touch.
- Personalize with Toppings: Encourage your kids to personalize their ice cream sandwiches with their favorite toppings. Set up a topping station with sprinkles, crushed cookies, mini chocolate chips, or caramel sauce, and let them decorate their own sandwiches.
With these tips in mind, you're ready to embark on a delicious and fun-filled adventure of making Kid-Friendly Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches. Enjoy the process, get creative, and savor the delightful combination of waffles and ice cream!
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]: