There's nothing better than a delicious breakfast casserole to start your day! Combining three unique yet complementary flavors, pea, mushroom, and goat cheese breakfast casserole is sure to please brunch lovers everywhere and can be easily modified for any dietary restrictions.
For an extra kick of flavor, sprinkle some paprika or parsley over the top before serving. Best of all, once prepared in advanced it's a one-and-done breakfast dish that will feed the whole family with minimal hassle and maximum deliciousness - perfect for a weekend brunch!
The goodness of Pea, Mushroom, and Goat Cheese Breakfast Casserole
Pea, Mushroom, and Goat Cheese Breakfast Casserole is the perfect way to start the day right. This dish is overflowing with the goodness of protein and nutrients. Peas are a great source of vitamin A and C, mushrooms contain plenty of minerals like selenium, potassium and riboflavin and the goat cheese provides plenty of calories and healthy fats. Not to mention the fact that the combination of all these ingredients together makes a delicious meal that can really jumpstart your morning. All in all this breakfast casserole is excellent for anyone looking for a filling but healthy start to the day.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Ingredients needed to make Pea, Mushroom, & Goat Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 12 oz. mushrooms, chopped sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 c. frozen peas
- 12 eggs
- ½ c. milk
- 1 c. cottage cheese (or sour cream)
- 5 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 c. mozzarella cheese, shredded
Instructions for making Pea, Mushroom, & Goat Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray or lightly grease it with olive oil.
- Add olive oil to a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Add onion, green pepper, red pepper, and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables become soft and develop a bit of color, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in peas and remove skillet from heat.
- Add eggs, milk, and cottage cheese to a large mixing bowl. Whisk until combined. Add crumbled goat cheese and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the vegetable mixture to the egg mixture and stir to combine. Transfer to a prepared casserole dish and top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the edges are nicely golden-brown and the center is set. Cool 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
There are many variations you can use when making a Pea, Mushroom, & Goat Cheese Breakfast Casserole. You can add in different vegetables such as asparagus or roasted red peppers to give it an extra crunch. To make it even more protein-packed and healthy, you can also substitute the eggs for tofu scramble. If you like your breakfast dishes on the sweeter side, apples and pears make a great addition. For something savory and creamy, try substituting the goat cheese with Boursin cheese - it will keep all of the flavors intact while adding extra richness to the dish. The variations are truly endless - so don't be afraid to get creative and experiment!
An amazing breakfast casserole dish containing pea, mushroom and goat cheese can be made in advance and stored in the fridge for up to four days. Before storage, be sure to cool the casserole down to just above room temperature, wrap it with airtight plastic wrap or aluminum foil, and tightly seal it before placing it into storage. In order to keep food safe during storage, perishable items like this casserole should not stay refrigerated any longer than three to four days. After that, the safety of eating the dish can no longer be guaranteed.
Preparing the Pea, Mushroom and Goat Cheese Breakfast Casserole is easier than ever with these top tips! Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spread a layer of cooked, cubed potatoes evenly in the bottom of an oven-safe baking dish. Top with a layer of cooked mushrooms, followed by an even layer of thawed frozen peas. Beat eggs together with salt and pepper, pour over top and sprinkle goat cheese throughout. Bake for 45 minutes or until the top looks golden brown. Serve warm with toast or your favorite breakfast sides! Enjoy!