Have you ever had a dish that was so good, you just can't stop thinking about it? That's how I feel about skillet chicken. A classic dish that is easy to make and always a hit! This skillet chicken has Bella mushrooms, juicy tomatoes, and white wine. It's perfect for a quick and hearty weeknight meal.
This dish is simple to make, but the flavors are out of this world. If you're looking for an easy weeknight meal that will please the whole family, then you need to try this recipe. So gather your ingredients and get cooking!
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into
1 Tbsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. Himalayan salt, divided
1 tsp. black pepper, ( for a more intense flavor try Tellicherry PepperCorns )
½ cup all-purpose flour, plus 2 tsp.
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra as needed
8 oz. baby Bella mushrooms, cleaned, trimmed, and sliced
14 oz. grape tomatoes halved
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh garlic
½ cup white wine
1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
¾ cup chicken broth
12 green olives
6-8 sun-dried tomato halves
Handful baby spinach
- Place the chicken between two sheets of cling wrap and pound to ¼ inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- Dredge the chicken cutlets in flour, shaking off excess. Season both sides with half of salt and pepper
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium high heat in an oven-proof skillet (preferably cast iron) and cook chicken until golden brown on both sides, about 4 minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken and set it aside.
- Add extra oil to pan if needed and saute mushrooms until cooked through, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and garlic and season with remaining salt and pepper. Season with remaining oregano and cook until tomatoes start to break down, about 2 minutes.
- Add the white wine and lemon juice and deglaze the pan, scraping up all of those brown bits (flavor!) from the bottom of the pan. Simmer until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and olives to the skillet, stirring again to combine.
- Return the chicken cutlets to the pan, placing them on top of the tomato mixture. Spoon some of the sauce over top. Cover with lid or foil and place in oven for 10 minutes until cooked through (juices will run clear).
- While chicken is cooking, bring a medium sized pot of water to a boil and blanch the spinach for 30 seconds. Remove with slotted spoon or spider strainer and immediately submerge in bowl of cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain well before serving on top of chicken.
- Before serving drizzle with some olive oil and pass warm lemon wedges.
Serves 4 (one chicken breast each)
Prep Time: 10 minutes - Cook Time: 20 minutes - Total Time: 30 minutes
Health Benefits of eating Chicken
The health benefits of eating chicken are endless. Chicken has protein, iron, and vitamin D as well as being low in fat with a good source for B vitamins including niacin (which helps keep your skin healthy), riboflavin( responsible for energy production)pantothenic acid(needed to produce emotions). It also contains choline which helps the brain function!