Risotto Primavera is a one-skillet recipe that makes for a flavorful, healthy dinner option. Packed with colorful vegetables, Risotto Primavera combines risotto rice with asparagus and bell peppers.
An easy preparation process, Risotto Primavera includes layering vegetables over the top of the cooked risotto and letting them steam as it simmers away on low heat - resulting in an irresistible, creamy dish made with minimal effort!
Risotto Primavera is the perfect one skillet healthy dinner!
Risotto Primavera is the perfect one skillet healthy dinner! It contains a variety of healthy and tasty ingredients like asparagus, carrots, and peas. Not only is it healthy, but it's also delicious - this healthy risotto uses a light broth made with vegetable stock, white wine, and Parmesan cheese to make it creamy, flavorful, and oh-so-satisfying. All these healthy ingredients come together to make Risotto Primavera, not just an innovative healthy dinner option, but also an incredibly delicious one.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 45-50 minutes
- Risotto Primavera is the perfect one skillet healthy dinner!
- Ingredients needed to make Risotto Primavera
- Instructions for making Risotto Primavera
- Variations on the Risotto Primavera recipe
- Equipment used to make Risotto Primavera
- Storage for the Risotto Primavera
- Top tips on the Risotto Primavera recipe
- Risotto Primavera
Ingredients needed to make Risotto Primavera
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ c. white onion, chopped small
- ½ c. frozen peas
- ½ c. carrots, chopped small
- ⅓ c. asparagus, chopped into 1” pieces
- ⅓ c. yellow squash, chopped small
- ⅓ c. zucchini, chopped small
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 c. arborio rice
- ½ c. dry white wine
- 4-5 c. warm chicken or vegetable, divided*
- 1 c. Parmesan cheese, grated + more for serving
- 2 t. fresh lemon zest
- 3 T. fresh parsley, chopped
*For the creamier risotto, add additional broth, one-half cup at a time, until the desired consistency is reached.
Instructions for making Risotto Primavera
- Add one tablespoon of olive oil to a large high-sided skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the onion, peas, carrots, asparagus, squash, and zucchini and season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Cook, stirring frequently until the vegetables are crisp-tender and start to develop some color, approximately 4-5 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the remaining olive oil and the Arborio rice to the skillet. Toast the rice for 1-2 minutes while stirring continually.
- Reduce heat to medium and pour in the white wine. Deglaze the skillet by gently scraping the bottom with a spatula or wooden spoon to loosen any browned bits.
- When the wine is completely absorbed, add one-half cup of warm broth to the skillet and cook, stirring continually, until absorbed, approximately 4-5 minutes. Repeat this process with the remaining broth, one-half cup at a time, until the rice is tender and creamy.
- Stir in the sautéed vegetables, Parmesan cheese, and lemon zest. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or just until heated through. Remove from heat and stir in the fresh parsley. Season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired, and serve immediately with additional Parmesan cheese on the side. Enjoy!
Variations on the Risotto Primavera recipe
If healthy one-skillet dinner recipes are your thing, the Risotto Primavera is a great option! This easy dinner dish is packed with healthy veggies and can be customized to fit whatever you have available in your pantry. Depending on what type of vegetables or herbs you're in the mood for, you can substitute any of them for the classics on the recipe list. You could throw in some cherry tomatoes, spinach or even zucchini for a zesty twist. And if your preferences lean towards something more fragrant, add some fresh cut basil and tarragon. With just a few simple changes to this delicious dinner staple, you can have a healthy Risotto Primavera that's been tailored to your taste buds!
Equipment used to make Risotto Primavera
Storage for the Risotto Primavera
Storing Risotto Primavera is a breeze since it's a one-skillet dinner recipe that's healthy and delicious. When stored in the fridge, it can last up to three days in an airtight storage container. This storage time allows you to cook once and enjoy leftovers for the next few days without worrying about food going bad. Plus, the flavors of Risotto Primavera tend to develop with time – so storage might just be part of making this dish taste even better!
Top tips on the Risotto Primavera recipe
There are a few things to keep in mind when making Risotto Primavera, a healthy and flavorful one-skillet recipe. First, make sure to use a good quality broth - it will make a big difference in the overall taste of the dish. Second, be patient when stirring the rice - it's important to take your time so that the risotto turns out creamy and smooth. Finally, top it off with your favorite fresh vegetables for a pop of color and flavor. With these top tips in mind, you'll be able to create a delicious and impressive Risotto Primavera that's perfect for any dinner occasion.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]: