Everyone loves a warm, delicious dessert after dinner, but not everyone has the time or skill to make complicated sugar-laden recipes. That's why a sugar-free black cherry crisp is so great - it's easy enough for the novice baker to make and is still an old favorite. It's the perfect solution for anyone looking for something sweet that isn't too over the top.
And, with just a few simple ingredients and a few minutes of prep work, you'll have a delicious, sugar-free black cherry crisp that all your family members will love!
Savory warm black cherry crisp is a recipe that will be loved by everyone!
Savory warm black cherry crisp is a recipe that will be loved by everyone! It's an easy recipe to throw together and the result is simply delicious. From the crunchy oat topping to the sweet filling, this recipe is sure to be an old favorite in your house. So grab a few ingredients and have at it! You won't regret treating your family to this tasty recipe.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Ingredients needed to make Warm Black Cherry Crisp
4½ c. frozen black cherries, thawed and chopped
¼ c. honey, preferably local
½ t. ground cinnamon
½ t. ground allspice
¼ t. ground cloves
1 T. fresh thyme leaves
1 c. old-fashioned rolled oats
½ c. almond flour
½ c. pecans, chopped
⅓ c. honey, preferably local
3 T. unsalted butter, melted
⅛ t. table salt
2 T. melted coconut oil (or olive oil)
Optional, to Serve:
Greek yogurt, homemade whipped cream, or sugar-free ice cream.
Fresh thyme sprigs, for garnish
Instructions for making Warm Black Cherry Crisp
- Place the top oven rack in the center position and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine thawed chopped cherries, honey, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and thyme leaves in a bowl. Toss to combine and set aside.
- Combine the topping ingredients in a separate bowl and stir until oats are thoroughly coated and all ingredients are well combined. Set aside.
- Lightly grease the four 9-oz. oval cast iron baking dishes (or the 10” cast iron skillet) with coconut oil.
- Divide the cherry mixture equally among the cast iron mini-servers and spread it into an even layer. Divide the topping between the 4 mini-servers, as well, and spread it into a thin layer on top.
- Place into the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until the top is nicely browned and the cherry mixture is nice and bubbly.
Tip: If using a 10” skillet, cover loosely with aluminum foil after 30 minutes and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving plain or topped with some Greek yogurt, whipped cream, and/or sugar-free ice cream. Garnish with a couple of sprigs of fresh thyme, if desired. Enjoy!
When it comes to storage for delicious Warm Black Cherry Crisp, the answer is fairly straightforward! This heavenly dessert can be stored in the refrigerator for up to five days in an airtight container or plastic wrap. Its delicious aroma and flavor will last just long enough for you to savor every bite. Swap out your usual store-bought treats with a freshly made homemade version of a warm black cherry crisp, and you’ll surely be impressed by the difference. It makes storage easy when you don’t have to worry about consuming your sweet delicacy right away; simply save some for tomorrow’s delectable treat!
If you're an ardent baker or someone just starting out, making Warm Black Cherry Crisp is a tasty and enjoyable experience. The top tip is to be sure to prepare your baking dish before adding the dark pitted cherries. Next, ensure that the top layer of crisp ingredients are spread evenly across the top of the cherries before baking. Furthermore, make sure you bake it in a 350F oven for 40 minutes or until a light golden brown color forms on top layer. Finally, opt for a vanilla ice cream to top off this scrumptious dessert as it will compliment the sweet cherry filling perfectly!