Braised beef Burgundy stew is an easy yet delectable dinner recipe. This healthy and hearty dish is sure to satisfy any appetite. All you need is a dutch oven, some fresh ingredients, and an hour of free time.
This meal has a complex flavor with just the right amount of sweetness thanks to the red wine and mushrooms that are added in. With just a bit of preparation, you can make this delicious stew in a jiffy for your friends or family. Enjoy the amazing aromas it will be giving off as it cooks!
Braised Beef Burgundy Stew is a delicious, hearty option for dinner.
Braised Beef Burgundy Stew is a delicious, hearty option for dinner. It's packed with tender, slow-cooked beef chunks in a savory red wine sauce, which makes it healthy and satisfying at the same time.
The end result is ultra-comforting and warms your soul after a long day. On top of that, most of the ingredients for this dish can be found in any grocery store making it an inexpensive yet extremely tasty dinner choice.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 3 - 3½ hours
Ingredients needed to make Braised Beef Burgundy Stew
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon, diced
- 2 lbs. beef chuck, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions
- 2 large carrots, sliced diagonally
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 oz. white mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 3 T. almond flour
- 1 T. tomato paste
- 3 c. dry red wine
- 1½ c. beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- ¼ c. fresh parsley, chopped
Instructions for making Braised Beef Burgundy Stew
- Place the top oven rack in the center position and preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until crispy, approximately 4-5 minutes. Transfer bacon to a plate lined with paper towels and blot off excess grease. Set aside.
- Drain and discard all but 1 tablespoon of bacon grease from the Dutch oven. Add beef chunks and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally until browned on all sides, approximately 4-5 minutes. Remove the beef and transfer to the same plate with the bacon. Set aside.
- Add red onion, pearl onions, carrots, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies become fragrant and translucent, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and sprinkle with almond flour. Cook, stirring frequently, for 1-2 minutes or until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Return bacon and beef to the Dutch oven. Add tomato paste, red wine, beef broth, bay leaves, and fresh thyme. Season with additional salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine.
- Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a gentle boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, cover, and transfer the Dutch oven to the preheated oven. Cook for 2½ to 3 hours, stirring every 40-50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and discard bay leaves and thyme sprigs. Serve immediately topped with fresh chopped parsley, if desired. Enjoy!
When making Braised Beef Burgundy Stew, there are some variations you could consider to put your own spin on the classic recipe. If you want a healthier meal, try omitting the bacon and using lean beef cuts. On the other hand, if you're looking for more of a hearty stew to serve during colder months, add more potatoes and carrots for added texture and flavor. You can also consider adding garlic or herbs to your stew if you'd like extra flavor. No matter what variations you choose, cooking this delicious meal in a dutch oven will bring out its savory aromas and make it even more inviting. Braised Beef Burgundy Stew is sure to be a hit with everyone as it's an easy but effortless dinner recipe!
Braised Beef Burgundy Stew is a hearty and delicious dinner recipe that can be easily prepared in a dutch oven. Not only is it incredibly tasty, but it also can store well in the fridge for up to four days when stored properly! To ensure you’re making the most of your storage time and eating healthy, we highly recommend transferring your leftovers into an airtight container after each meal and storing them in the refrigerator. Enjoy your creamy, beefy stew every night of the week!
Start with choosing lean cuts of beef that are packed with flavor, like a top sirloin. This will give the stew a healthy boost.
Next, remember to brown the beef in batches and use a dutch oven to braise it - this will bring out its wonderful flavors and make the beef nice and tender.
Lastly, don't be afraid to experiment with spices and herbs- this will bring out even more details to your yummy dinner recipe. With these top tips in mind, your family is sure to love this tasty Braised Beef Burgundy Stew!
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]: