Caramelized Onion Dip is one of my family's favorite snacks. This delicious treat is perfect for any family gathering or party. The best part about it is that it only takes a few minutes to make.
To caramelize the onions, simply slice them thin and cook them over low heat until they turn a golden brown color. Then, add the onions to your favorite dip recipe. This dip is always a hit with family and friends, and it's sure to be a crowd-pleaser at your next party. Give it a try today!
What is so good about Caramelized Onion Dip?
Caramelized Onion Dip is the perfect party food - it's easy to make, and even easier to eat! The key to making the perfect Caramelized Onion Dip is in the caramelization of the onions. This process brings out the natural sweetness of the onions and gives the dip a rich, flavorful depth of flavor. Once the onions are caramelized, they are combined with sour cream, mayonnaise, and garlic to create a smooth, creamy dip that is absolutely irresistible. And best of all, Caramelized Onion Dip gets even better with time - so be sure to make extra, and enjoy it all week long!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Ingredients needed to make Caramelized Onion Dip
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 T. unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, ends removed and sliced root to tip ¼” thick
- 2 t. dried rosemary
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 T. apple cider vinegar
- 2 T. real maple syrup
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- ½ c. sour cream
- 2 T. fresh chives, finely chopped, divided
- To serve:
- Vegetable crudités and/or gluten-free crackers
Instructions for making Caramelized Onion Dip
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the
onion and rosemary and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook,
stirring occasionally until the onions are golden-brown, approximately 25-30
- Deglaze the skillet by adding the apple cider vinegar and gently scraping up
any brown bits off the bottom with a spatula. Drizzle the maple syrup on top
and stir to combine. Remove from heat and cool for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the onions to a mixing bowl and add the cream cheese, sour cream,
and one tablespoon of fresh chives. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste,
and stir to combine.
- Transfer the dip to a serving bowl and garnish with the remaining fresh chives.
Serve immediately with an assortment of vegetable crudités and/or gluten-free
Caramelized onion dip is a classic party food that is always a hit with guests. While the traditional recipe is delicious, there are many variations that you can use to give the dip a unique twist. For example, try adding crumbled blue cheese or diced avocado to the mix. You can also swap out the sour cream for Greek yogurt or use a mixture of both. If you're looking for a bit of extra flavor, try roasting the onions before adding them to the dip. No matter which variations you choose, your guests are sure to enjoy this crowd-pleasing favorite.
When it comes to storage, caramelized onion dip is best kept in the fridge. This will help to keep the onions from going bad and prevent the dip from spoiling. However, you should only keep the dip in the fridge for a few days. After this, it is best to either freeze the dip or throw it out. If you do choose to freeze the dip, make sure to place it in a well-sealed container. This will help to prevent freezer burn and ensure that the dip tastes fresh when you are ready to eat it.
If you're looking for a delicious and easy-to-make appetizer, look no further than caramelized onion dip. This rich and flavorful dip is perfect for any occasion, and it only takes minutes to prepare. Here are some top tips for making the perfect Caramelized Onion Dip:
- Start by slowly cooking your onions over low heat until they turn a deep golden brown. This process can take up to an hour, but it's worth the wait!
- Once your onions are caramelized, add them to a blender or food processor along with some cream cheese, sour cream, and your favorite seasonings. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer the dip to a serving bowl and refrigerate for at least an hour, or until chilled. Serve with crackers, chips, or veggies, and enjoy!