When it comes to appetizers, there's nothing quite as satisfying as a cheesy potato croquette. Not only are they delicious, but they're also super easy to make. Simply take a potato, stuff it with mozzarella cheese, and then deep fry it until it's golden brown and crispy.Follow Me
Perfect for parties or family gatherings, these croquettes are guaranteed to be a hit with both kids and adults alike. So go ahead and give them a try - you won't be disappointed!
Why are Cheesy Mozzarella Stuffed Potato Croquettes such a Hit?
There are many reasons why Cheesy Mozzarella Stuffed Potato Croquettes are such favorite appetizers. For one, they are bite-sized and easy to eat. They are also packed with flavor, thanks to the cheesy mozzarella filling. Additionally, the crispy potato exterior provides a nice contrast to the soft interior. And last but not least, they are always a hit at parties and gatherings. Whether you're serving them as an appetizer or a main course, these croquettes are sure to please.
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Ingredients needed to make Cheesy Mozzarella Stuffed Potato Croquettes
- 1 lb. russet potatoes
1 large egg yolk
½ c. fresh parsley, chopped
¼ c. parmesan cheese, finely grated
5 oz. mozzarella cheese, diced in ¼” cubes
2 large eggs
1 c. breadcrumbs
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Optional for Serving:
- Marinara Sauce, Garlic Aioli, and/or Sour Cream – For Dipping
Instructions for making Cheesy Mozzarella Stuffed Potato Croquettes
- Place unpeeled potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Generously season the water with salt and bring to a boil. Cook until potatoes are fork-tender, 25-35 minutes, depending on size.
- Drain potatoes and cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, peel the potatoes and pass through a ricer into a large mixing bowl. Alternatively, potatoes may be mashed with a potato masher. Note the texture may not be as smooth.
- Add egg yolk. Mix and add fresh parsley, parmesan, and cubed mozzarella. Mix well and shape into 8 oval croquettes. Arrange the croquettes on a small baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, heat one inch of vegetable oil to 350˚F.
- Prepare a breading station: In one shallow dish beat two eggs. Place breadcrumbs in a second shallow dish.
- Generously, season the eggs and the breadcrumbs with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Roll each croquette into the beaten eggs. Let excess egg drip off and then dredge in the breadcrumbs, pressing lightly so the breadcrumbs will stick to the croquettes.
- Fry the croquettes, a few at a time, in the hot oil until golden-brown and crisp on all sides, approximately 3-4 minutes. Do not crowd the oil. Allow oil to return to 350˚F before adding next batch of croquettes.
- Remove from oil as they are ready and place on paper towel.
- Serve immediately with desired dipping sauces. Enjoy!
Variations of Cheesy Mozzarella Stuffed Potato Croquettes can be made using different types of cheese, such as cheddar or Swiss. Adding bacon or ham can also be a delicious way to change up the flavor. For a vegetarian option, sautéed mushrooms or onions would be a great addition. Another way to vary is to use different seasonings in the breadcrumb mixture, such as garlic powder or Italian seasoning. You could also add some heat with a bit of cayenne pepper. The possibilities are endless when it comes to variations of Cheesy Mozzarella Stuffed Potato Croquettes, so get creative and have fun!
Cheesy Mozzarella Stuffed Potato Croquettes are a delicious and easy snack or side dish. They can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for up to four days.
When it comes to cheesy goodness, these Mozzarella Stuffed Potato Croquettes are hard to top! Here are some top tips to ensure your Croquettes are truly drool-worthy:
- First, start with good-quality potatoes. Buying organic will ensure they're free of any nasties and that they're packed full of flavor.
- Second, when it comes to stuffing, don't be afraid to get creative! While mozzarella is always a classic, why not try mixing in some cheddar, Parmesan, or even feta for an extra zing?
- Finally, make sure the oil you're frying your Croquettes in is piping hot before adding them in. This will help to create a crispy outer shell that'll seal in all that ooey-gooey goodness.
Follow these tips and you'll be sure to impress with your next batch of Cheesy Mozzarella Stuffed Potato Croquettes!