Decadent Chocolate Layer Cake is one of the best holiday desserts around. It's perfect for any family gathering, and the kids will love it too. This cake is made with three layers of rich chocolate cake, separated by layers of creamy chocolate frosting.
The top layer is decorated with chocolate shavings and a festive holiday message. Decadent Chocolate Layer Cake is sure to make any holiday gathering more special.
What is so special about Decadent Chocolate Layer Cake?
Decadent Chocolate Layer Cake is a special cake because it has a rich chocolate flavor. The cake is made with cocoa powder, which gives it a deep chocolate flavor. The cake is also layered with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting, which makes it even more rich and more delicious. Decadent Chocolate Layer Cake is perfect for any chocolate lover, and it is sure to please even the most discerning palate. If you are looking for a truly decadent dessert, Decadent Chocolate Layer Cake is a perfect choice.
Prep time: 20 minutes + 20-25 minutes for cakes to cool before frosting
Baking time: 22-28 minutes
Yields 12 servings
- What is so special about Decadent Chocolate Layer Cake?
- Ingredients needed to make a Decadent Chocolate Layer Cake
- Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Instructions for making a Decadent Chocolate Layer Cake
- Instructions for making Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Top tip
- Decadent Chocolate Layer Cake
- Food safety
- To do:
Ingredients needed to make a Decadent Chocolate Layer Cake
- 1 c. unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2½ c. granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 t. real vanilla extract
- 3 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 t. baking soda
- 1 t. baking powder
- ½ t. salt
- 1 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2¼ c. boiling water
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: n/a
Yield: Frosting for Decadent Chocolate Layer Cake
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1 c. unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ c. cocoa powder
- 16-oz. powdered sugar
- 1-2 T. whole milk
- 1 t. real vanilla extract
Instructions for making a Decadent Chocolate Layer Cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 3 8” round cake pans, then line the bottom with round parchment paper. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugars in a large mixing bowl. Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix until well blended.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix the cocoa powder and boiling water in a medium bowl until well combined and no lumps remain.
- Alternating between the two, slowly add dry ingredients and chocolate mixture to the bowl with the butter and sugar. Mix on low speed to incorporate ingredients.
- Divide the cake batter evenly between the three cake pans and place in the preheated oven. Bake 22-28 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool for approximately 10 minutes before transferring the cakes from the pans to a wire rack to cool completely, approximately 10-15 more minutes. (Cakes should no longer be warm to the touch before frosting).
- To assemble the cake, place the first layer top-side down on a cake plate. Add ⅓ of the frosting to the top of the cake layer and spread it out evenly. Take the second layer and level off the rounded top with a knife or cake leveler. Place the second layer on top of the first layer, top-side down. Add frosting to this layer and spread out evenly. Repeat this with the 3rd layer, and spread the remaining frosting out on the top layer. Slice and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Instructions for making Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Mix the butter and cocoa powder in a large bowl until well blended.
- Add the powdered sugar and mix on low-speed until all of the sugar is combined.
- Stir in milk and vanilla extract, if using, to reach desired consistency.
Decadent Chocolate Layer Cake is a classic dessert that can be made with a variety of different variations. The cake itself is typically made with a chocolate cake mix, but variations can include adding espresso powder, instant coffee, or even Guinness stout. For the filling, ganache is the traditional choice, but buttercream, whipped cream, or even marshmallow fluff can be used.
To decorate the cake, anything from simple chocolate shavings to an elaborately piped design can be used. The beauty of Decadent Chocolate Layer Cake is that it can be customized to suit any taste. So whether you like your cake rich and Decadent or light and airy, there's a variation that will be perfect for you.
Essential tools for making this cake can be found HERE
Decadent Chocolate Layer Cake can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. If you want to extend the shelf life of your cake, you can store it in the fridge for up to 1 week. For best results, wrap the cake in plastic wrap or store it in a resealable freezer bag before placing it in the fridge. When you're ready to enjoy your cake again, allow it to come to room temperature or microwave it for a few seconds. Decadent Chocolate Layer Cake is best enjoyed fresh, but with proper storage, you can enjoy it for days (or even weeks) after baking.
Decadent Chocolate Layer Cake is a chocolate lover's dream come true. The rich, moist cake is made with three layers of dark chocolate cake, filled and frosted with a decadent chocolate ganache. For the ultimate chocolate experience, top the cake with a scattering of chocolate shavings. Here are some tips to help you create the perfect Decadent Chocolate Layer Cake:
- Use high-quality ingredients. When it comes to chocolate, go for the best you can afford. You'll be able to taste the difference in the final product.
- Preheat your oven before you begin baking the cake. This will ensure that your cake cooks evenly throughout.
- When measuring the ingredients, be precise. Baking is a science, so making sure the ingredients are correctly measured is crucial in ensuring a successful outcome.
- Don't overmix the batter. Overmixing can result in a tough cake. Instead, mix until just combined.
With these tips in mind, you're on your way to creating a delicious Decadent Chocolate Layer Cake that is sure to impress!
Visit the search results to see which questions come up under the "People also ask" section for your primary keyword, and answer them here
Remove this block, and replace it with the recipe card here
We sometimes take for a granted that we have years (or decades) of cooking experience, that the average visitor may not. Add to, or remove from, the list below with health and safety tips.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
Before publishing, complete this checklist, deleting the list items as you complete them:
- All images have alt tags
- Content is on-topic (minimal or no personal stories)
- You've manually linked to related posts in the content (try to do this naturally, not as a separate list of links)
- Yoast meta description filled out (best practice)
- Featured image has been set (1200x1200, JPG)
- Hidden pin has been set
- Check your recipe schema has been fully filled out at https://search.google.com/test/rich-results (after publishing)
- Check https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/ to make sure this recipe has enough content above-the-fold to cause images to lazyload (after publishing)
- Clarify any intermediate or advanced cooking techniques - not everybody has your experience and knows how to mash garlic, mince onions, or dice potatoes