Get ready to savor the exquisite blend of flavors in our Ham, Brie, and Homemade Cherry Chutney Croissants. These delectable creations marry the richness of ham and brie with the sweet and tangy allure of our homemade cherry chutney. Nestled with buttery, flaky croissants, these sandwiches are a testament to the delightful combination of savory and sweet.
Whether treating yourself to a leisurely brunch or grabbing a quick gourmet snack, these croissants promise a mouthwatering adventure in every bite.
These Homemade Cherry Chutney Croissants are not just a meal.
The velvety, slightly nutty notes of the brie complement the savory, smoky essence of the ham, while the cherry chutney adds a burst of fruity goodness with a hint of zing. Each bite is a journey through a medley of tastes and textures, from the crisp, golden exterior of the croissant to the tender, melt-in-your-mouth core. These croissants are not just a meal; they're a flavorful experience that turns any ordinary moment into a gourmet delight. Whether you're enjoying them on a sunny picnic or treating yourself to a cozy afternoon at home, our Ham, Brie, and Homemade Cherry Chutney Croissants are a culinary masterpiece that will leave your taste buds longing for more.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Active cook time: 3 minutes (+ time to come to pressure)
Natural release: 0 minutes
Oven time: 5-7 minutes
Yields: 2 croissant sandwiches + approximately 1¾ cups cherry chutney
Ingredients needed to make Ham, Brie, and Homemade Cherry Chutney Croissants.
Cherry Chutney Ingredients:
1 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 c. red onion (approximately
½ medium), chopped
½ t. ground cinnamon
¼ t. ground nutmeg
1 t. dried rosemary
1 t. dried thyme
½ t. crushed red pepper flakes*
1 T. fresh ginger, peeled and finely minced
¼ t. salt
¼ c. balsamic vinegar
⅓ c. brown sugar, packed
1 T fresh orange zest, preferably organic
1 large orange, peeled and cut into chunks
12 oz. frozen cherries, thawed with juice, roughly chopped
2 t. cornstarch
2 t. water
*Adjust the amount of red pepper according to personal preference
2 croissants, cut in half lengthwise
4 slices Canadian bacon or breakfast ham
3 oz. Brie, cut into thin slices and rind trimmed
¼ c. cherry chutney
Optional: Fresh baby arugula
How to make Ham, Brie, and Homemade Cherry Chutney Croissants.
- Select the “Sauté” function on the Instant Pot™ and set to “High.”
- Add the olive oil and onion to the pot. Sauté, stirring frequently, until the onion softens and develops a bit of color, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, rosemary, thyme, crushed red pepper flakes, and fresh ginger. Stir to combine and cook, stirring occasionally, until nicely browned and the spices are fragrant, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Deglaze the pot by adding the balsamic vinegar and gently scraping the bottom of the unit to incorporate the brown bits into onion mixture.
- Add the brown sugar, orange zest, orange chunks, and cherries to the Instant Pot™. Stir to combine and turn the unit off.
- Add the lid and lock it into place, then set the release valve to “Sealing.” Select the “Manual” function and adjust the cook time to 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
- Arrange the croissant halves onto a rimmed baking sheet lined with a Silpat™ baking mat or parchment paper. Top the bottom half of each croissant with 2 slices of Canadian bacon (or breakfast ham), and several thin slices of Brie, as shown. Set aside.
- When the Instant Pot™ cook time is complete, immediately switch the pressure release valve to “Venting.” Once the steam is fully released and the pin drops, carefully remove the lid.
- Combine the cornstarch and water in a small bowl and stir into the chutney to thicken.
- Transfer ⅔ of the chutney mixture to a blender and pulse several times until blended but not completely smooth. Stir the blended chutney back into the Instant Pot™ and simmer for a couple of minutes until the desired consistency is reached. Turn off the unit.
- Spread two tablespoons of the warm chutney onto the top half of each croissant, as shown. Place the baking sheet in the oven and heat for 5-7 minutes, or just until the Brie is nicely melted but not running off the sandwiches.
- Remove from oven and add the baby arugula to each sandwich, if using, and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Variations on the Ham, Brie, and Homemade Cherry Chutney Croissants recipe
Here are ten different variations you can apply to your Homemade Cherry Chutney Croissants recipe to add a creative twist:
- Cheese-Stuffed Croissants: Slice them in half and stuff them with a mild cheese like brie or goat cheese before adding the cherry chutney.
- Almond-Crusted Croissants: Sprinkle sliced almonds on top of the croissants after spreading the cherry chutney for a delightful crunch.
- Prosciutto Croissants: Wrap a slice of prosciutto around the cherry chutney croissant for a sweet and salty combination.
- Cream Cheese Filling: Mix cream cheese with the cherry chutney and spread it inside the croissants for a creamy, tangy twist.
- Balsamic Glaze: Drizzle a balsamic reduction over the croissants to add a rich, sweet, and tangy flavor.
- Arugula and Goat Cheese: Layer fresh arugula and goat cheese with the cherry chutney for a gourmet touch.
- Bacon and Gouda Croissants: Add crispy bacon and gouda cheese slices for a savory and smoky contrast to the sweet chutney.
- Cinnamon-Sugar Croissants: Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top of the croissants before baking for a sweet and spiced flavor.
- Fresh Basil Croissants: Top the chutney with fresh basil leaves for a fragrant and herbaceous element.
- Nuts and Honey: Drizzle honey and sprinkle chopped nuts like pecans or walnuts on the croissants for a delightful crunch and sweetness.
Mix and match these variations to create a diverse selection of cherry chutney croissants for different occasions and tastes. Enjoy experimenting in the kitchen! 🥐🍒🍴
Storage for the Ham, Brie, and Homemade Cherry Chutney Croissants.
Homemade Cherry Chutney Croissants can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 to 4 days. To maximize their freshness and prevent them from becoming soggy or stale, it's a good practice to store them in an airtight container or wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. If you want to enjoy them beyond this time frame, consider freezing them.
Top Tips to know when making Ham, Brie, and Homemade Cherry Chutney Croissants.
Here are 10 top tips to keep in mind when making Homemade Cherry Chutney Croissants:
- Quality Croissants: Start with high-quality croissants. Freshly baked or premium store-bought croissants will provide the best base for your recipe.
- Cherry Chutney Consistency: Ensure your cherry chutney is the right consistency - not too runny. Simmer it until it thickens to prevent soggy croissants.
- Even Spreading: Spread the cherry chutney evenly over the croissant to ensure each bite has a balanced flavor.
- Filling Quantity: Don't overfill the croissants, as this can lead to a messy experience when eating. A moderate amount of chutney is perfect.
- Add Cheese: Consider adding a layer of cheese for extra richness. Brie, goat cheese, or cream cheese work well.
- Baking Time and Temperature: Follow the recommended baking time and temperature for the croissants you're using. Typically, it's around 350-375°F (175-190°C).
- Egg Wash: For a golden and glossy finish, brush the croissants with an egg wash (one beaten egg with a little water) before baking.
- Watch for Burning: Keep an eye on the croissants while baking to prevent them from burning. Cover with foil if they're browning too quickly.
- Cooling Time: Allow the croissants to cool slightly before serving. The filling can be very hot and might burn your mouth.
- Variations: Get creative! Experiment with different cheeses, nuts, or herbs to create unique variations of your Cherry Chutney Croissants.
Enjoy the process of making these delicious treats and don't be afraid to put your own twist on the recipe. Happy baking! 🥐🍒👩🍳Print