One Instant Pot® meal that has become a go-to in my house is this French Onion Chicken. Not only is it simple to make, but it's also a one-pot meal that is perfect for a weeknight dinner.
Impress your guests with a home-cooked meal
And, if you're having a family gathering, this dish can easily be doubled or tripled. Instant Pot® French Onion Chicken is a versatile recipe that can be served as is, or over a bed of rice, pasta, or salad. So, whether you're looking for a quick and easy dinner option, or want to impress your guests with a home-cooked meal, Instant Pot® French Onion Chicken is the perfect recipe.
Healthh Benefits from eating Onions
Onions are not only a tasty addition to many dishes, but they also offer a number of health benefits. For centuries, onions have been used as a natural remedy for a variety of ailments. Today, onion is most commonly revered for its ability to improve cardiovascular health. onion contains quercetin, an antioxidant that has been shown to reduce inflammation and lower blood pressure. onion is also a good source of chromium, a trace mineral that helps to regulate blood sugar levels.
Onion has antibacterial properties
In addition, onion has antibacterial properties that make it effective against the common cold and other respiratory infections. So next time you're looking for a way to add some flavor to your meal, don't forget about the health benefits of onion.
This was inspired by my other recipe on this site, and pairs well with this amazing sidedish recipe.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Sauté time: 10-15 minutes
Active cook time: 6 minutes (+ time to come to pressure)
Natural release: 5 minutes
- 2 T. unsalted butter
- 1 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. yellow onions, sliced root to tip
- 1 t. garlic powder
- ½ t. Italian seasoning
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 T. balsamic vinegar
- ½ c. dry red wine
- Optional: 2 t. Worcestershire sauce*
- 1¼ c. beef broth, preferably organic
- 2 bay leaves
- 4-5 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1¼ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded ½” thick
- 6-8 thin mild (non-smoked) Provolone cheese slices
- Select the “Sauté” function and adjust to the medium setting. Add the butter and olive oil and stir until the butter is melted and evenly distributed across the bottom.
- Add onions and sprinkle with the garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and develop some color, approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and red wine, then deglaze the bottom of the pot with a spatula to release any browned bits. Once the liquid is reduced by one-half, stir in the Worcestershire sauce, if using, and the beef broth. Push the “Cancel” button to turn the unit off.
- Generously season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and black pepper, before adding to the Instant Pot®. Top with the bay leaves and fresh thyme sprigs.
- Add the lid and lock it into place, making sure the pressure release valve is set to “Sealing.” Select the “Manual” button on the highest setting and adjust the cooking time to 6 minutes.
- When the cooking time is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes, then do a quick release for any remaining pressure. Once the pin drops and the steam is no longer coming out, carefully remove the lid and discard the bay leaves and woody thyme stems.
- Place the mild Provolone slices on top of the chicken breasts and cover the unit with the lid for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the cheese is thoroughly melted. Remove lid and serve immediately with your choice of sides. Enjoy!
Remember that image SEO is important: file names should reflect the recipe + step they represent. Only use alt text as a screen reader description. Do not use captions.
Hint: leave a useful hint here, like let the grill run for 4-5 minutes to burn off any remnants, then clean it. I like to use this bristle-free barbecue brush (affiliate link) for cleaning the grill.
Instant Pot® French Onion Chicken is a quick and easy weeknight meal that the whole family will love. This dish is traditionally made with chicken breasts, onions. However, there are a few substitutes that can be used in a pinch. For example, if you don't have chicken breasts on hand, you can use chicken thighs or drumsticks.
Additionally, you could experiment with different kinds of cheese, such as Gruyere or Swiss.
And of course, you can always mix up the vegetables you use in the dish. So don't be afraid to get creative! With a few simple substitutions, you can Instant Pot® French Onion Chicken that's entirely your own.
Instant Pot® French Onion Chicken is a quick and easy way to get a delicious meal on the table. And, if you have leftovers, they'll keep in the fridge for up to four days. Simply place the Instant Pot® French Onion Chicken in an airtight container and store it in the fridge. When you're ready to enjoy it again, simply reheat it in the Instant Pot® or in the microwave. Instant Pot® French Onion Chicken is a versatile dish that can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. So, whether you're looking for a quick weeknight meal or a weekend feast, Instant Pot® French Onion Chicken is sure to please.
Top 5 tips
French Onion Chicken is a delicious and easy Instant Pot® recipe that is perfect for a weeknight meal. Here are the top 5 tips for making the best Instant Pot® French Onion Chicken:
- Use a good quality Instant Pot®. This will ensure that your chicken cooks evenly and quickly.
- Cut the onions into thin slices so they will caramelize well.
- Cook the chicken on high pressure for just 6 minutes. This will ensure that it is cooked through but still juicy.
- Use fresh thyme for the best flavor.
- Serve with rice or potatoes to absorb all the delicious juices from the chicken. Enjoy!