Homemade Italian Meatball Soup is a recipe that is sure to please the whole family. It combines healthy ingredients like ground beef, celery, onions, and tomatoes for a delicious recipe that can be ready for dinner in no time.
This hearty Italian soup is an easy recipe to adapt and can easily be spiced up or down depending on the preferences of your family. Whether you are looking to make something special on a busy weeknight or simply add some variety to your meal rotation, this recipe is sure to hit the spot and won't take too much effort!
This recipe is sure to make everyone happy at dinner time.
Homemade Italian Meatball Soup is a great way to feed the whole family without breaking the bank or spending too much time in front of the stove. Homemade Italian Meatball Soup is a tasty recipe that can make for a healthy dinner option for any family. It packs just the right amount of protein, and carbs in one pot. Plus, you get to customize the recipe according to your dietary needs! It's easy to adjust the recipe to include fewer pasta or low-sodium ingredients - all while keeping it delicious and hearty. This recipe is sure to make everyone happy at dinner time and as an added bonus, it's also a great way to make use of leftovers!
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 35 min
Serves: 4 – 6
- This recipe is sure to make everyone happy at dinner time.
- Ingredients needed to make Homemade Italian Meatball Soup
- Instructions for making Homemade Italian Meatball Soup
- Variations on the Homemade Italian Meatball Soup recipe
- Equipment needed to make Homemade Italian Meatball Soup
- Storage for the Homemade Italian Meatball Soup
- Top tips for the Homemade Italian Meatball Soup
- How to make Homemade Italian Meatball Soup
Ingredients needed to make Homemade Italian Meatball Soup
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-½ t. Italian seasoning, preferably homemade*
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ⅓ c. Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- ⅓ c. flour
- ¼ t. Sea salt
- ¼ t. Black pepper
- 2 t. olive oil
- ½ c. onion, diced
- 2-3 medium carrots, diced
- 1 15 oz. can crush or diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 15 oz. can of Italian tomato sauce
- 6 c. low-sodium beef broth
- 1 t. Italian seasoning, preferably homemade*
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- ¾ c. small dry pasta shape (like small shells or ditalini)
- 2 T. fresh parsley, chopped
- Parmesan cheese for serving (optional)
Instructions for making Homemade Italian Meatball Soup
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add ground beef, garlic, and 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning,
- Make a well in the center and the beaten egg.
- Sprinkle the mixture with cheese, flour, salt, and pepper.
- Mix to combine ingredients. Avoid overmixing.
- With your hands or a small scoop, shape the meat mixture into small balls (½ inch to ¾ inch in size).
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until meatballs are lightly browned.
- While the meatballs are baking, heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, and carrots.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once carrots are slightly softened, add the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, Italian seasoning, salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Bring to a simmer. Add meatballs and pasta. Simmer uncovered 10-12 minutes or until pasta and vegetables are tender.
- Top with parsley. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese if desired.
Variations on the Homemade Italian Meatball Soup recipe
The variations you can apply to this classic recipe are endless. You can go for a lighter version by using ground turkey instead of beef and vegetable broth instead of beef broth. If you want something more hearty, try adding potatoes or different vegetables that your family enjoys. Don't forget the herbs! There's nothing better than adding fresh oregano and basil to elevate this comforting dish. Whether you're looking for an easy weeknight dinner or planning ahead for a holiday gathering, variations applied to the Homemade Italian Meatball Soup recipe is sure to be a hit with any crowd!
Equipment needed to make Homemade Italian Meatball Soup
Storage for the Homemade Italian Meatball Soup
This storage-friendly soup can stay in the fridge for up to four days, making it an easy go-to for healthy dinners for the entire week. Bond over the recipe with your family and serve up delicious, flavored soup in no time. Just give your soup a quick taste before re-serving just to make sure all ingredients are at their peak.
Top tips for the Homemade Italian Meatball Soup
If you want to make the perfect homemade Italian Meatball Soup for dinner with the family, there are some top tips to keep in mind. First of all, make sure you use lean ground beef for a healthier version of the dish. Secondly, it's very important to use tomato paste because this ingredient adds flavor and richness that creates a more authentic Italian taste. Thirdly, onions play an important role in this recipe and should be added in copious amounts to balance out the flavors. Finally, be creative with other ingredients like parsley and peppers to take your dish up a notch and impress your family!
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]: