Shrimp Saganaki is a classic Greek appetizer that is simple to make and always a hit with guests. The dish consists of shrimp that are sauteed in olive oil and then simmered in a tomato-based sauce
. A variety of herbs and spices are used to flavor the sauce, including oregano, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Shrimp Saganaki is typically served with a slice of lemon and a piece of bread for dipping. This recipe can be easily doubled or tripled to accommodate a larger crowd.
A dish that is perfect for any occasion
Shrimp Saganaki is a greek appetizer that is made with shrimp, tomato sauce, and cheese. It is a dish that is full of flavor and very satisfying. The Shrimp Saganaki is a dish that is perfect for any occasion, whether it be a casual dinner party or a more formal event. It can be served as an appetizer or main course.
The dish is also very easy to make, which makes it even more appealing to those who are looking for a quick and delicious meal. Shrimp Saganaki is a dish that is sure to please everyone at the table.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ c. dry white wine
- 1 15-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- ½ c. Kalamata olives, chopped
- 1 t. dried dill
- 1 t. dried Greek oregano
- ½ t. crushed red chili flakes
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. large (16/20 ct.) shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 3 T. fresh parsley leaves, chopped and divided
- 4 oz. Feta cheese, crumbled
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and red onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes, or until the onion softens and starts to turn golden brown.
Add white wine to deglaze the bottom of the skillet, scraping up any brown bits with a spatula.
Reduce heat to medium and add crushed tomatoes, olives, dill, oregano, and red chili flakes. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine.
Simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add shrimp and 2 tablespoons of the parsley. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until shrimp just turns pink. Do not overcook the shrimp.
Remove from heat and adjust seasonings, to taste. To serve, transfer to a serving dish and top with remaining fresh parsley and crumbled Feta cheese. Enjoy!
Shrimp Saganaki is a classic Greek appetizer that typically features shrimp, tomatoes, and feta cheese. While the dish is delicious as is, there are some ingredients that can be substituted to give it a different flavor profile. For example, instead of shrimp, you could use scallops or lobster.
Similarly, you could substitute white fish for shrimp. If you're looking for a vegetarian option, you could omit the seafood altogether and focus on the tomatoes and feta cheese. And of course, there are endless possibilities when it comes to choosing the right cheese. Whether you stick to traditional feta or experiment with something like goat cheese, Shrimp Saganaki is sure to please.
Shrimp Saganaki is a delicious Greek appetizer that can be enjoyed hot or cold. If you have leftovers, they can be stored in the fridge for up to two days. To reheat, simply place the shrimp in a baking dish and bake at a moderate temperature until warmed through. Enjoy your Shrimp Saganaki!
Top 5 tips
Shrimp Saganaki is a delicious Greek appetizer that is perfect for any occasion. If you're looking to impress your guests with a mouth-watering dish, Shrimp Saganaki is the way to go. Here are the top 5 tips for making the perfect Shrimp Saganaki:
- The first tip is to use large shrimp. This will ensure that your Shrimp Saganaki is packed with flavor.
- The second tip is to use fresh shrimp. Frozen shrimp will not taste as good and will result in a less flavorful dish.
- The third tip is to cook the shrimp just until they are pink. Overcooked shrimp will be tough and rubbery.
- The fourth tip is to use good quality feta cheese. This will make all the difference in the taste of your Shrimp Saganaki.
- The fifth and final tip is to garnish your Shrimp Saganaki with fresh parsley and lemon wedges. This will give it a beautiful presentation and brighten up the flavors. following these simple tips, you'll be sure to make the perfect Shrimp Saganaki every time!