Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but that doesn't mean it has to be complicated. This quick and healthy recipe for Slow Cooker Southwestern Breakfast Casserole is the perfect solution for busy mornings.
Just throw everything into the crockpot before you go to bed and wake up to a hot and hearty breakfast that's ready to eat. And cleanup is a breeze since there's only one dish to wash. Whether you're feeding a family or looking for a quick and easy breakfast option for yourself, this casserole is sure to please.
The goodness of Slow Cooker Southwestern Breakfast Casserole
The Slow Cooker Southwestern Breakfast Casserole is very good. I love the fact that I can put all the ingredients in the slow cooker the night before and then just wake up to a delicious and healthy breakfast. The casserole is packed with flavors from the green chilies, onions, tomatoes, red peppers, and black beans. It is also a great source of protein and fiber. I highly recommend this casserole to anyone looking for a healthy and delicious breakfast option.
Prep time: 10 minutes (+ 10 minutes to brown sausage)
Cook time: 4-6 hours low
Ingredients needed to make Slow Cooker Southwestern Breakfast Casserole
- Non-stick cooking spray (or melted butter or coconut oil)
- 16 oz. mild bulk sausage (no casings)
- 1 20-oz. bag hash browns, shredded
- ½ t. ground cumin
- ½ t. garlic powder
- 1 medium red pepper, finely chopped
- 8 large eggs
- ½ c. water
- ¼ t. chipotle powder
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 c. sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- 1 c. Monterey Jack (or other mild white) cheese, finely shredded
Chopped green onions, red pepper, fresh cilantro, and/or additional shredded cheese
Instructions for making Slow Cooker Southwestern Breakfast Casserole
- • Spray a 6-quart or larger slow cooker crock with non-stick cooking spray (or grease with melted butter or coconut oil).
- Cook sausage in a large skillet until nicely browned, approximately 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and carefully drain excess grease from the skillet. Set aside.
- Spread hash browns in an even layer across the bottom of the slow cooker crock. Add the browned sausage and sprinkle the ground cumin and garlic powder on top.
- Add the chopped red pepper and season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Whisk the eggs and water together in a large bowl and pour evenly across the top of the other ingredients before topping with the shredded cheese.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours. Serve immediately topped with green onion, red pepper, fresh cilantro, and/or additional shredded cheese, if desired. Enjoy!
There are many variations of Slow Cooker Southwestern Breakfast Casserole, each with its own unique flavor. One popular variation is the Tex-Mex version, which includes black beans, cheese, and salsa. Another popular variation is the Southwest version, which includes corn, green chilies, and cumin. And for those who like it spicy, there's the jalapeno and pepper jack cheese version. No matter what your preference is, there's a Slow Cooker Southwestern Breakfast Casserole that's sure to please.
So why not give one of these delicious variations a try today?
When it comes to storage, it is important to know how long different food items can be stored for. This is especially true for breakfast casseroles, as they often contain eggs, which can spoil quickly. So how long can Slow Cooker Southwestern Breakfast Casserole be stored for? The answer is up to four days in the refrigerator. This means that you can make a batch on Sunday and enjoy it all week long. Simply reheat a portion in the microwave when you are ready to eat. Breakfast casserole is the perfect solution for those mornings when you don't have time to cook a full breakfast. It is also a great option for entertaining, as it can be made ahead of time and then reheated when guests arrive. So next time you are looking for an easy and delicious breakfast option, remember that Slow Cooker Southwestern Breakfast Casserole can be stored in the fridge for up to four days.
If you're looking for a hearty and flavorful breakfast casserole that's sure to please, look no further than this Slow Cooker Southwestern Breakfast Casserole. Packed with eggs, sausage, cheese, and your favorite southwestern flavors, this casserole is perfect for a crowd. And the best part? It can be made ahead of time in your slow cooker. Simply follow these top tips and you'll have a delicious breakfast casserole that everyone will love:
- Choose the right sausage. For maximum flavor, go for a sausage with a bold flavor profile. Spicy chorizo or Italian sausage are both great choices.
- Don't skimp on the cheese. A good quality sharp cheddar cheese will really elevate the flavor of this casserole.
- Use freshly cooked eggs. This will ensure that your casserole is nice and fluffy.
- Add some spice. A little bit of heat goes a long way in this casserole. Add a pinch of red pepper flakes or use hot salsa in place of regular salsa.
- Let it sit. After cooking, allow the casserole to sit for 5-10 minutes so that it can firm up before serving. This will make it easier to cut into neat slices.