This Cod Caponata recipe is healthy and delicious - perfect for a weeknight dinner! The Cod is baked in the oven until flakey, then simmered in a homemade tomato sauce with olives, capers, and eggplant. Serve over some hearty whole wheat bread or pasta for a complete meal.
A great source of protein and omega-3
Cod is a great source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids, making it a healthy choice for dinner. This Cod Caponata recipe is also relatively easy to make, so it's perfect for busy weeknights. Plus, it's a one-pot meal, so clean-up is a breeze! So go ahead and give this Cod Caponata recipe a try - your family will thank you.
What is so special about Cod Caponata
Cod Caponata is a recipe that is healthy and easy to make. It is a great dinner recipe for those who are looking for something different than the usual fare. The Cod Caponata recipe is simple, but the dish is full of flavor. The dish is made with Cod, which is a type of fish that is high in protein and low in fat. The Cod is cooked in a tomato sauce, and the dish is served with a side of bread. The Cod Caponata recipe is a healthy and delicious dish that can be enjoyed by everyone.
Tip: Substitute strained tomatoes if passata is not available.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35-40 minutes
- ¼ c. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 2 large celery stalks, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 T. tomato paste
- 1 c. tomato passata
- 3 T. red wine vinegar
- 2 T. capers
- ¼ c. green olives, pitted and sliced
- ¼ c. raisins
- 4 6-oz. cod fillets
- 3 T. fresh parsley leaves, chopped, divided
- 3 T. sliced almonds, toasted, divided
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 Preheat oven to 400°F and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat® baking mat. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and celery, and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and translucent, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet, along with the garlic and eggplant. Cook, stirring occasionally until the eggplant begins to cook down, around 6-7 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, passata, vinegar, capers, green olives, and raisins. Stir to combine and cover skillet with a lid. Reduce heat to low and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, lightly brush each cod fillet with the remaining olive oil and season with salt and black pepper on both sides. Place the fillets on the prepared baking sheet and place in the preheated oven to roast until the fish turns opaque and flakes easily with a fork, approximately 12-13 minutes. (Test after 10 minutes. Do not overcook)
- Remove lid and stir in two tablespoons each of the fresh parsley and the toasted almonds into the caponata. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired.
- Transfer to individual serving plates and garnish with remaining parsley and
almonds. Serve immediately with the cod fillets. Enjoy!
Substitutions for Cod Caponata recipe
If you're looking for substitutes for Cod Caponata, there are plenty of options to choose from. One easy substitute is to use another type of fish in the recipe. For example, salmon or halibut would both work well. You could also try a different vegetable in the dish, such as zucchini or eggplant. If you want to keep the dish vegetarian, you could try using tofu or tempeh as a protein source. Whatever substitutes you choose, the important thing is to make sure that the dish is still tasty and satisfying. With a little creativity, you can easily adapt the recipe to fit your needs.
There's nothing better than a home-cooked meal. But what do you do with the leftovers? Storing them properly will help ensure that they taste just as good the second time around. Here's how to store Cod Caponata for leftovers:
- Let the dish cool completely before transferring to a storage container.
- If you're using a glass or ceramic container, make sure it has a tight-fitting lid.
- For best results, eat within three days.