Creamy red potato salad with fresh herbs is a delicious and refreshing dish. It's a popular side dish, perfect for picnics, barbecues, or any gathering. The combination of creamy dressing, tender red potatoes, and fragrant herbs creates a flavorful and satisfying salad.
Creamy red potato salad with fresh herbs is a popular and well-loved dish, especially during the spring and summer seasons. It is a classic side dish that is often served at picnics, barbecues, potlucks, and other outdoor gatherings. The creamy texture, tangy flavors, and the freshness of the herbs make it a crowd-pleaser.
This dish is particularly popular in North America, where potato salads are commonly enjoyed as a side dish with grilled meats, sandwiches, or as part of a larger salad spread. However, its popularity is not limited to North America, as potato salads are also enjoyed in various forms in many other parts of the world.
The versatility of the dish is another reason for its popularity.
The versatility of the dish is another reason for its popularity. While the basic recipe includes red potatoes, mayonnaise, fresh herbs, and seasonings, there are numerous variations and additions you can make to suit your taste. Some people like to add crispy bacon, chopped pickles, or diced celery for extra crunch and flavor. Others may incorporate ingredients like hard-boiled eggs, chopped onions, or even a hint of mustard for added depth.
Overall, creamy red potato salad with fresh herbs remains a favorite choice for many people, offering a delicious and satisfying side dish option for various occasions.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 3-5 minutes
- The versatility of the dish is another reason for its popularity.
- Ingredients needed to make Creamy red potato salad with fresh herbs
- How to make Creamy red potato salad with fresh herbs
- Variations on the Creamy red potato salad with fresh herbs recipe
- Equipment used in making Creamy red potato salad with fresh herbs
- Storage for the Creamy red potato salad with fresh herbs
- Top tips for making Creamy red potato salad with fresh herbs
- Creamy Red Potato Salad with Fresh Herbs
Ingredients needed to make Creamy red potato salad with fresh herbs
- 3 pounds red potatoes, quartered
- 2 T. water
- ¾ c. mayonnaise
- ¾ c. plain Greek yogurt
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 3 T. Dijon mustard
- ¼ c. fresh dill chopped
- ¼ c. fresh parsley chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
Note: This recipe goes other with
HONEY MUSTARD CHICKEN WINGS
How to make Creamy red potato salad with fresh herbs
- Place potatoes in a large microwave-safe dish and add 2 tablespoons of water. Cover and microwave for 2-3 minutes or until fork tender. (Cooking time will vary by microwave, so check after 2 minutes. Potatoes should be tender enough to split with a fork, but still firm).
- Remove potatoes from the dish and drain. Spread in a single layer on a large baking sheet to dry completely. Blot gently with a paper towel, if needed.
- Add mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, shallot, mustard, and fresh herbs in a small glass bowl. Stir to combine thoroughly. Add potatoes to a separate bowl, gradually add the mayonnaise mixture, and toss to coat. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine.
Tip: Don’t add all the mayonnaise mixture at once so you have more control over how much is added to your potato salad.
- Serve immediately or cover and store in the refrigerator for 1-3 days. Enjoy!
Variations on the Creamy red potato salad with fresh herbs recipe
There are several variations you can make to the classic Creamy Red Potato Salad with Fresh Herbs recipe to add different flavors and textures. Here are a few ideas:
- Add bacon: Cook some bacon until crispy, then crumble it and mix it into the salad. The smoky and savory flavor of bacon adds a delicious twist to the dish.
- Pickle relish: For a tangy and slightly sweet flavor, add some pickle relish to the dressing. It complements the creaminess of the salad and adds a bit of crunch.
- Celery and onion: Finely chop some celery and red onion and add them to the salad for extra crunch and a mild onion flavor. They also add a refreshing element to the dish.
- Hard-boiled eggs: Slice or chop some hard-boiled eggs and mix them into the salad. They add protein and a rich, creamy texture to the dish.
- Mustard: Add a teaspoon or two of your favorite mustard to the dressing for a tangy kick. Dijon mustard or whole grain mustard work well.
- Fresh vegetables: Include other fresh vegetables such as bell peppers, cucumbers, or cherry tomatoes for added color, crunch, and freshness. Make sure to chop them into small pieces for easy mixing.
- Herbs variations: Experiment with different herbs to customize the flavor. Besides dill and parsley, you can try adding basil, chives, tarragon, or cilantro for a unique taste.
- Vinegar: If you prefer a slightly tangier salad, you can add a splash of vinegar, such as apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar, to the dressing.
Remember to adjust the quantities of the additional ingredients based on your personal preferences. These variations offer a range of flavor profiles and textures, allowing you to create a Creamy Red Potato Salad with Fresh Herbs that suits your taste preferences and complements the overall menu of your meal.
Equipment used in making Creamy red potato salad with fresh herbs
large baking sheet
Storage for the Creamy red potato salad with fresh herbs
Creamy Red Potato Salad with Fresh Herbs can be stored in the refrigerator for about 1 to 3 days. However, it's important to note that the texture and quality of the salad may change slightly over time.
To store the potato salad properly, follow these guidelines:
- Allow the potato salad to cool completely before refrigerating it. Leaving it at room temperature for more than two hours can promote bacterial growth.
- Transfer the salad to an airtight container or cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap. This helps prevent any odors from permeating the salad and keeps it fresh.
- Place the container or bowl in the refrigerator and make sure the temperature is set below 40°F (4°C). The cooler temperature helps inhibit bacterial growth.
- Before serving leftovers, give the potato salad a good stir to redistribute the dressing and flavors.
It's worth noting that the longer the potato salad is stored, the softer the potatoes may become, and the flavors may meld together more. If you notice any off odors or if the salad looks or smells spoiled, it's best to discard it to ensure food safety.
If you're preparing the potato salad for an event or gathering, it's a good idea to make it as close to the serving time as possible to maintain its freshness and texture.
Top tips for making Creamy red potato salad with fresh herbs
When making Creamy Red Potato Salad with Fresh Herbs, here are some top tips to keep in mind:
- Select the right potatoes: Choose firm, waxy potatoes like red potatoes or new potatoes. These varieties hold their shape well and have a creamy texture.
- Cook the potatoes properly: Start with cold water and add the potatoes, then bring to a gentle boil. This helps cook them evenly. Avoid overcooking as they can become mushy and break apart.
- Season the cooking water: Add salt to the water when boiling the potatoes. This infuses them with flavor from the inside out.
- Cool the potatoes before dressing: Once cooked, drain the potatoes and let them cool completely before adding the dressing. This prevents the dressing from becoming too runny and helps the flavors meld together.
- Use fresh herbs: Fresh herbs add a vibrant and aromatic touch to the potato salad. Common options include parsley, dill, chives, or a combination of these. Chop the herbs finely for even distribution.
- Dressing consistency: The dressing should be creamy and well-coated on the potatoes. Adjust the amount of mayonnaise or dressing to achieve your desired consistency.
- Add-ins for variety: While the recipe calls for fresh herbs, you can also add other ingredients to enhance the flavor and texture. Consider options like chopped pickles, diced red onion, crumbled bacon, or hard-boiled eggs.
- Season generously: Taste the potato salad and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Potatoes tend to absorb flavors, so it's essential to ensure the salad is well-seasoned.
- Refrigerate before serving: After mixing all the ingredients together, refrigerate the potato salad for at least a couple of hours to allow the flavors to develop and the salad to chill. It will taste even better when served cold.
- Garnish before serving: Before serving, garnish the potato salad with additional fresh herbs or a sprinkle of paprika for an attractive presentation.
Remember to adjust the recipe according to your personal taste preferences, and don't be afraid to experiment with different herbs or add-ins to make it your own. Enjoy your Creamy Red Potato Salad with Fresh Herbs!
Visit the search results to see which questions come up under the People also ask section for your primary keyword, and answer them here
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]: