Flaky Honey Walnut Baklava is a greek pastry that tastes like a bite of heaven! Perfect for the holidays, this savory yet sweet dessert contains layers of crunchy phyllo dough filled with honey and crushed walnuts.
Every bite of this heavenly pastry does not disappoint and is sure to become a hit in any kitchen. The aroma will leave your guests’ mouths watering as they take their first delightfully delicious bite!
The goodness of Flaky Honey Walnut Baklava
Flaky Honey Walnut Baklava is a heavenly treat that evokes the senses with the distinct, sweet flavors of honey and the crunchy texture of the walnuts. When one takes a bite into the syrupy, golden-brown layers of phyllo dough encased in the nutty filling, the taste of the goodness explodes on the tongue, making it almost impossible to have just one piece. This delicious treat can be savored as a snack or enjoyed as an indulgent dessert—the crisp and flaky dough provides a wonderful contrast to the sweet honey and walnuts. If you're looking for something that will tantalize your taste buds, look no further than Flaky Honey Walnut Baklava.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Ingredients needed to make Flaky Honey Walnut Baklava
- 10 oz. butter, melted
- 25 sheets filo (phyllo) dough, thawed according to package directions
- 1 lb. walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 T. ground cinnamon
- ½ t. ground clove
- 2 c. sugar
- 1 c. honey
- 2 c. water
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 lg. lemon, freshly squeezed to yield ¼ c. lemon juice
Instructions for making Flaky Honey Walnut Baklava
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Brush a 9x13-inch baking dish with melted butter.
- Add one sheet of filo to the baking dish. Brush dough with butter. Repeat this process with 10 sheets of filo dough. Cover the filo with a damp tea towel as you are working to prevent filo sheets from drying out.
- In a medium bowl, combine walnuts, cinnamon, and clove. Sprinkle the nut mixture evenly over the phyllo layers.
- Continue to layer the remaining 15 filo sheets on top of the walnut mixture, brushing each layer with butter as you build your baklava.
- Place baklava in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes to chill for even slicing. Remove the baklava from the refrigerator and slice the baklava into 4 vertical long strips. Next, make 10 or 11 diagonal cuts to create the traditional diamond-shaped slices.
- Pour any remaining butter over the baklava.
- Place in the oven and bake for 50 - 60 minutes or until all of the filo sheets are golden-brown and crispy.
- While the baklava is baking, make the honey syrup. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, honey, water, and lemon slices. Heat over medium heat and let syrup simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice.
- Remove the baklava from the oven when finished baking and while it is piping hot, pour the honey syrup all over it.
- Let baklava cool at room temperature for at least 4-6 hours before serving. Note that baklava should be stored covered at room temperature. It will stay fresh for two weeks. Enjoy!
Baklava is a classic and luxurious pastry, and variations of this delectable dessert have been known to exist for centuries. The traditional Baklava is often made with thin layers of filo pastry filled with nuts, honey, and spices. But when it comes to variations, the possibilities are truly endless! If you want to add a unique spin on Baklava, why not try making Flaky Honey Walnut Baklava? This variation uses walnuts as its main ingredient, which are finely diced and sweetened with honey. Some variations may spice things up a bit by adding cardamom or cinnamon. Plus if you’re feeling adventurous, feel free to play around with other types of nuts like cashews or almonds!
Storing Flaky Honey Walnut Baklava is a delicious and easy experience! Proper storage can ensure that your flavorful, flaky treat stays fresh for weeks. If storing in the refrigerator, bakeries recommend wrapping the baklava in foil or placing it inside an airtight storage container. Enjoy your sweet treats knowing that you have done everything necessary to ensure their freshness!
Making Flaky Honey Walnut Baklava requires a bit of know-how and the right ingredients to get it just right. Follow these top tips for top-class results every time. Start by making sure all your ingredients are top quality. Use only fresh butter, eggs, honey, walnuts and phyllo pastry. When prepping the phyllo pastry make sure to keep it covered while you work with it so that it doesn’t dry out – wrap in clingfilm first before keeping it in a plastic bag once opened. Assemble the baklava in a shallow baking dish (the pieces will be thicker than if using a deeper one) and brush each layer with melted butter for maximum flavor. Bake at moderate temperature until golden brown and top with syrup as soon as possible for an amazing melt-in-the-mouth treat. Enjoy!