Mediterranean cuisine is one of the most popular and recognizable in the entire world. From its expansive array of fresh produce to flavorful olive oils, Mediterranean recipes are sure to delight any palate.
A Mediterranean-inspired dish that's recently risen in popularity is Mediterranean baked feta gnocchi, which combines two classics for an easy-to-make weeknight meal. This hearty dish features soft pillows of potato gnocchi mixed with Mediterranean ingredients like garlic, tomatoes, feta cheese, and olives before being baked in the oven until everything is bubbling and lightly golden. Serve it up with a side of crusty bread and you have a flavorful Mediterranean meal that’s sure to make everyone’s mouths water!
What is so good about Mediterranean Baked Feta Gnocch?
Mediterranean Baked Feta Gnocchi is the epitome of the goodness of Mediterranean cuisine. It combines the best of what the region has to offer in the form of feta cheese and gnocchi. The combination is a delicious and crunchy treat that offers the benefits of the incorporated ingredients such as tomatoes, onions, peppers and herbs in an appetizing way. Not only does it make for a great tasting meal but its nutritional content makes it exceptionally healthy too. Eaten straight from the oven or served with a side dish, Mediterranean Baked Feta Gnocchi offers an unforgettable experience for all the senses!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Ingredients needed to make Mediterranean Baked Feta Gnocchi
- 1 lb. refrigerated or shelf-stable gnocchi
1 lb. cherry tomatoes, multi-colored recommended for visual appearance
- 4 oz. button mushrooms, cut in half
- ½ cup black olives, drained
- 1-½ T. Greek seasoning, divided
3 T. olive oil
7 oz. block feta cheese
½ lemon, juiced and zested
1 c. baby arugula or baby spinach
½ c. fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 2 T. warmed vegetable stock or dry white wine
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
Instructions for making Mediterranean Baked Feta Gnocchi
- Heat oven to 375˚F.
- Add gnocchi, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, and olives to a large, rimmed baking sheet pan (like this one - Cuisinart Baking Sheet Pan. Drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of Greek seasoning and salt and pepper to taste. Toss again to coat evenly with the seasoning.
- Push the gnocchi and cherry tomato mixture to the sides of the pan a bit and place the block of feta cheese in the middle of the sheet pan.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until the gnocchi become slightly browned and the cherry tomatoes are blistered and juicy.
- Toss everything together to turn the feta into a creamy sauce. Add lemon juice, lemon zest, arugula or spinach, fresh basil, and wine or stock. Gently toss. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
When making Mediterranean Baked Feta Gnocchi, there are a number of variations you can make to customize your dish to your personal taste. You can switch up the type of tomatoes in the recipe, such as using grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes. Herbs and spices can be adjusted too; try using dried oregano and thyme for an added punch of flavor. You could even add vegetables like zucchini or bell peppers to create a heartier meal that is packed with nutrition. Whatever variations you choose, baking feta and gnocchi together with this flavorful blend of ingredients promise a delicious result every time!
Storing Mediterranean Baked Feta Gnocchi in the fridge is a great way to make it last longer. If the gnocchi has been cooked properly, it can be safely stored in the refrigerator for up to five days. It is important to note, however, that storage time will vary based on how the dish was prepared. To keep your gnocchi from spoiling too quickly, make sure to store it in an air-tight container and use it within three days for optimal freshness.
Making Mediterranean Baked Feta Gnocchi is a delicious dish, but it can take some time to master. To simplify the process and help you create an Instagram-worthy plate of Gnocchi at home, top tips include boiling your gnocchi for only two minutes or until they just float to the top, stirring well as you cook your tomatoes with olive oil and garlic, adding fresh herbs like basil for flavor and topping with feta cheese before baking for about 30 minutes. Use top-quality ingredients in generous quantities to really bring out the best flavors. Also, remember that baked dishes are always served better warm which means letting them cool slightly will make them taste even more amazing. With these top tips in mind, you’ll be able to prepare Mediterranean Baked Feta Gnocchi quickly and easily every time!