Spicy Feta Shakshuka is a delicious Middle Eastern brunch dish that’s sure to tantalize your tastebuds! Many people swear by the goodness of spicy feta shakshuka and it looks like it's here to stay! This dish is packed with flavor from a mixture of spices, tomato sauce, and even feta cheese - making it an easy yet delicious way to start off your day.
What really sets it apart though is its versatility--whether you're looking for a breakfast meal-prep or a simple lunch or dinner dish, shakshuka has got you covered. The best part? You can make it as spicy--or mild--as you'd like! So give this classic recipe a try and see just how tasty goodness can be.
Spicy Feta Shakshuka only takes about 20 minutes to cook
All you need are a few basic ingredients like bell peppers, onion, feta cheese, eggs, and chili pepper. It only takes about 20 minutes to cook and you can serve it for breakfast, lunch or dinner! Get creative in the kitchen by adding different toppings like avocado slices or crushed nuts - whatever your preference may be. Making healthy meals doesn't have to be time-consuming - give Spicy Feta Shakshuka a try today!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Ingredients needed to make Spicy Feta Shakshuka
- 1 T. olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 red chili pepper, seeded and minced (if you want it extra spicy leave in the seeds)
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
1 t. ground cumin
1 t. ground coriander
1 t. smoked paprika
1 14-oz. can of diced tomatoes
1 c. tomato passata
4 large eggs
4 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
½ c. fresh parsley, minced
- Hot fresh bread, for serving
Instructions for making Spicy Feta Shakshuka
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and chili pepper. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion becomes soft and translucent, 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic, cumin, coriander, and paprika. Continue cooking for 1-2 minutes until the garlic and the spices become fragrant.
- Add diced tomatoes and tomato passata. Increase heat to medium-high. Simmer the sauce until lightly thickened, 5-6 minutes.
- Using a wooden spoon, make 4 indentations in the sauce and crack one egg is each well. Season the eggs with salt and pepper to taste. Cover the pan with a lid. Continue cooking until the eggs are set to the desired doneness. 4 minutes for runny yolks or 8-10 minutes for fully set eggs.
- Remove from heat and top with feta and parsley. Serve with fresh bread and enjoy!
If you're looking for variations to try when making your own Spicy Feta Shakshuka at home, look no further! This recipe hails from the Middle East and variations are now popular all over the world. Whether you want to keep it simple with the traditional ingredients or were feeling adventurous and opt for some additions, this healthy and easy dish is a great choice. you can swap out any kind of cheese for feta, use traditional eggs or egg whites, and substitute tomatoes for roasted red peppers. Play with herbs like thyme or oregano, and let your taste buds decide what flavors work best! Experimenting with spices and additional vegetables can turn even the most mundane meal into a tasty adventure - making shakshuka variations is just one of these ways!
Storing Spicy Feta Shakshuka has never been easier! This delicious dish is best when served warm and fresh, however it can be stored in the fridge at a temperature no lower than 32°F/0°C for up to four days. While storage times vary depending on how the dish is prepared, a Shakshuka that includes feta cheese should be consumed within four days. In general, storing food in the refrigerator helps to protect against contamination from bacteria and other microorganisms, allowing you to enjoy your meal even longer. So go ahead and whip up a batch of Spicy Feta Shakshuka--it'll be good for days!
If you're looking to make a delicious, spicy breakfast dish then look no further than Shakshuka! This Middle Eastern favorite is flavorful, filling, and not too difficult to make. To make the perfect shakshuka with a hint of spice, here are my top tips.
Firstly, use good quality feta cheese for the best taste - it should be crumbly and creamy. Secondly, add lots of your favorite spices such as paprika or cumin for extra flavor and aroma. Thirdly, top off the shakshuka with freshly chopped herbs and enjoy!