Spicy Portobello and Sausage Breakfast Muffins are a delicious and savory breakfast option that combines the earthy flavors of Portobello mushrooms, spicy sausage, and cheese in a convenient muffin form. These muffins are not only packed with flavor but also provide a satisfying and hearty start to your day.
These breakfast muffins are incredibly versatile and can be customized to suit your taste preferences. If you prefer a milder version, you can use a mild sausage or reduce the amount of spice. Additionally, you can add extra ingredients like diced bell peppers, onions, or spinach to incorporate more vegetables into the recipe.
How Healthy Are the Spicy Portobello and Sausage Breakfast Muffins
The healthiness of Spicy Portobello and Sausage Breakfast Muffins can vary depending on the specific ingredients used and the portion sizes. However, I can provide some general considerations regarding the nutritional aspects of the recipe.
- Portobello Mushrooms: Portobello mushrooms are low in calories and fat while being a good source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. They can add a meaty texture and a range of beneficial nutrients to the muffins.
- Sausage: The healthiness of the sausage will depend on the type and quality of the sausage used. Leaner options, such as turkey or chicken sausage, can be lower in fat and calories compared to traditional pork sausages. It's recommended to choose sausages with reduced sodium and without added preservatives or fillers.
- Eggs: Eggs are a great source of protein and essential nutrients. They provide healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals. If you are concerned about cholesterol, you can use a combination of whole eggs and egg whites or opt for egg substitutes.
- Cheese: Cheese adds flavor and richness to the muffins. However, it also adds calories and saturated fats. Choosing reduced-fat or part-skim cheese can help lower the fat content while still providing some calcium and protein.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20-25 minutes
Servings: 16 muffins
- How Healthy Are the Spicy Portobello and Sausage Breakfast Muffins
- Ingredients needed to make Spicy Portobello and Sausage Breakfast Muffins
- How to make Spicy Portobello and Sausage Breakfast Muffins
- Variations on the Spicy Portobello and Sausage Breakfast Muffins recipe
- Equipment used in making Spicy Portobello and Sausage Breakfast Muffins
- Storage for Spicy Portobello and Sausage Breakfast Muffins
- Top tips for making Spicy Portobello and Sausage Breakfast Muffins
- How to make Spicy Portobello and Sausage Breakfast Muffins
Ingredients needed to make Spicy Portobello and Sausage Breakfast Muffins
12 oz. spicy bulk pork sausage ( other options, turkey or chicken sausage )
12 large eggs
4 oz. baby Portobello mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
3 large green onions, thinly sliced, green portion only
8 oz. four cheese Mexican blend, finely shredded, divided sea salt and black pepper, to taste
Non-stick cooking spray
Special equipment: two 12-cup muffin tins
How to make Spicy Portobello and Sausage Breakfast Muffins
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Crumble sausage into bite-sized pieces in a large skillet. Cook the sausage over medium heat until it is no longer pink, approximately 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and carefully drain excess fat.
- Crack eggs into a large bowl and beat thoroughly with a fork. Add cooked sausage, Portobello mushrooms, green onion, and one-half of the cheese blend. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Vigorously stir with a fork to combine.
- Spray both muffin tins thoroughly with non-stick cooking spray and scoop ¼ cup of egg mixture into the opening. (Batch yields approximately 16 muffins). When finished, top each cup with equal amounts of the remaining Mexican-blend cheese.
- Place muffin tins in preheated oven and bake for 20–25 minutes or until eggs are set. Remove from oven and cool slightly before removing from pan. Serve immediately or place in a freezer-safe container to freeze for later use. Enjoy!
Variations on the Spicy Portobello and Sausage Breakfast Muffins recipe
Here are some variations you can make to the Spicy Portobello and Sausage Breakfast Muffins recipe to add even more flavor and variety:
- Veggie Delight: If you prefer a vegetarian version, you can omit the sausage and replace it with a variety of vegetables. Consider adding diced bell peppers, onions, spinach, or even zucchini for added color and texture. Sauté the vegetables with some garlic and spices before incorporating them into the muffin mixture.
- Cheese Choices: While the recipe suggests using shredded cheese, you can experiment with different types to change the flavor profile. Cheddar, Monterey Jack, pepper jack, or even crumbled feta can add a unique twist to the muffins. Consider mixing different cheeses for a flavorful combination.
- Heat Levels: Adjust the spice level according to your taste preferences. If you prefer milder muffins, use a mild sausage or reduce the amount of spicy seasoning. On the other hand, if you enjoy extra heat, add some diced jalapeños or a sprinkle of red pepper flakes to the muffin mixture.
- Herb Infusion: Enhance the flavor of the muffins by adding fresh or dried herbs. Consider incorporating herbs like thyme, rosemary, or parsley to add an aromatic touch. You can sprinkle them over the muffins before baking or mix them directly into the muffin mixture.
- Mini Muffin Bites: Instead of regular-sized muffins, you can make bite-sized mini muffins. Adjust the baking time accordingly, as they will require less time in the oven. Mini muffins are perfect for serving as appetizers or as a snack option.
Remember, these variations are meant to inspire your creativity and suit your dietary preferences. Feel free to mix and match ingredients, spices, and other additions to create a personalized version of the Spicy Portobello and Sausage Breakfast Muffins. Enjoy the process of experimenting and savoring the delicious results!
Equipment used in making Spicy Portobello and Sausage Breakfast Muffins
Storage for Spicy Portobello and Sausage Breakfast Muffins
Spicy Portobello and Sausage Breakfast Muffins can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. After baking and cooling the muffins, place them in an airtight container or sealable bag and store them in the refrigerator. It's important to ensure proper storage to maintain their freshness and quality.
When storing the muffins, it's best to wrap them individually or separate them with parchment paper to prevent sticking. This makes it easier to grab and reheat only the desired amount.
To enjoy the muffins after refrigeration, simply reheat them in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds per muffin or until warmed through. Alternatively, you can reheat them in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 5-10 minutes.
While the muffins can be stored for a few days, it's important to note that their texture may change slightly over time. The muffins may become slightly softer as they absorb moisture from the fridge. However, they will still be delicious and enjoyable.
If you need to store the muffins for longer, it's recommended to freeze them. After baking and cooling, individually wrap the muffins in plastic wrap or place them in a freezer-safe container. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 2-3 months. When ready to eat, thaw them in the refrigerator overnight and reheat as desired.
Remember to always use your judgment when assessing the freshness and quality of refrigerated muffins. If you notice any signs of spoilage or an off smell, it's best to discard them for safety reasons.
Top tips for making Spicy Portobello and Sausage Breakfast Muffins
Here are some top tips to keep in mind when making Spicy Portobello and Sausage Breakfast Muffins:
- Properly Cook and Drain the Sausage: Ensure that the sausage is fully cooked before incorporating it into the muffin mixture. This ensures both flavor and food safety. After cooking the sausage, drain any excess grease to prevent the muffins from becoming too greasy.
- Sauté the Portobello Mushrooms: Sautéing the Portobello mushrooms with the sausage adds depth of flavor and helps remove excess moisture from the mushrooms. This step enhances their meaty texture and prevents the muffins from becoming too soggy.
- Allow the Sautéed Ingredients to Cool: After cooking the sausage and mushrooms, allow them to cool slightly before adding them to the muffin mixture. This prevents the heat from the sautéed ingredients from prematurely cooking the eggs.
- Mix the Wet and Dry Ingredients Separately: Combine the wet ingredients (beaten eggs) and dry ingredients in separate bowls. This allows for better distribution of the spices and ensures even mixing when combining everything together.
- Don't Overmix the Batter: When combining the wet and dry ingredients, mix until just combined. Overmixing can result in dense and tough muffins. It's okay if there are a few lumps in the batter.
- Use Muffin Liners or Grease the Muffin Pan: To prevent the muffins from sticking to the pan, use muffin liners or grease the muffin pan with cooking spray or butter. This makes it easier to remove the muffins after baking.
- Fill the Muffin Cups Evenly: Distribute the muffin mixture evenly among the muffin cups to ensure consistent baking. Using an ice cream scoop or a spoon can help achieve equal portions.
- Add Cheese on Top: For an extra burst of flavor and a golden crust, sprinkle some shredded cheese on top of each muffin before baking. This creates a delightful cheesy crust that adds a delicious touch.
- Allow the Muffins to Cool: Once the muffins are baked, let them cool in the muffin pan for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. This helps them set and prevents them from breaking apart.
- Enjoy Fresh or Reheat: Spicy Portobello and Sausage Breakfast Muffins are best enjoyed fresh out of the oven. However, if you have leftovers, you can reheat them in the microwave or oven until warmed through. This ensures that you can enjoy them whenever you like.
By following these tips, you'll be well on your way to making delicious Spicy Portobello and Sausage Breakfast Muffins that are packed with flavor and enjoyed by all!
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]: