Indulge in the sheer delight of Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting! These delightful treats are a testament to the magic of homemade baking. Crafted from scratch, they boast the authenticity of real grated carrots and even offer you the option to elevate them with the crunch of nuts or the sweetness of raisins. These cupcakes have an undeniable charm, striking a harmonious balance between softness, moisture, and a cheerful fluffiness that instantly transports you to the brighter days of spring and sunny weather. Imagine biting into a cupcake that not only tantalizes your taste buds but also subtly suggests that you're indulging in your daily veggie intake - perhaps not the most conventional way, but undeniably the tastiest!
And let's not forget that crowning glory: the cream cheese frosting. It's not just good; it's the absolute best, promising a swirl of creamy perfection that takes these cupcakes to a whole new level of deliciousness. These Carrot Cake Cupcakes are a loving modification of a beloved carrot cake recipe, thoughtfully adapted for the cupcake form. With a touch of extra liquid to ensure the ideal cupcake texture and an all-oil approach for maximum moistness, these cupcakes are a baking triumph waiting to happen. So, if you're eager to discover the secrets to making these Carrot Cake Cupcakes turn out perfectly every time, let's dive right into that scrumptious journey!
Every great cupcake deserves a secret or two to ensure perfection.
But wait, there's more to this delightful tale of Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting! You see, every great cupcake deserves a secret or two to ensure perfection. Here's a sneak peek into the wizardry behind these treats. The recipe, closely akin to its full-sized carrot cake cousin, is a testament to culinary ingenuity. By introducing a tad more liquid to the batter, these cupcakes effortlessly embrace a lightness that's simply divine. And when it comes to moisture, we've opted for a different approach, creating cupcakes that practically melt in your mouth with every bite. You might cringe at the word 'moist,' but here, it's a symphony of flavor and texture that'll have you coming back for more. Our spice blend adds a symphony of flavors that ensures a delightful experience with every delectable morsel.
So, if you're eager to uncover these cupcake-making secrets and embark on a baking adventure that promises soft, fluffy, and irresistibly moist Carrot Cake Cupcakes topped with the crème de la crème of cream cheese frosting, keep reading. We're about to unveil the tricks of the trade to ensure your own batch turns out absolutely perfect.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yields: 2 dozen cupcakes
- Every great cupcake deserves a secret or two to ensure perfection.
- Ingredients needed to make Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- How to make Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Variations on the Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting recipe
- Equipment used when making Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Storage for the Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Top tips to know when making Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- How to make Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Ingredients needed to make Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 c. whole pecans, divided
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 c. vegetable oil
- 1 c. brown sugar, tightly packed
- ¾ c. white sugar
- 3 T. molasses
- 1 c. unsweetened applesauce
- 2 t. real vanilla extract
- 2½ c. all-purpose flour
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1 t. baking soda
- ½ t. salt
- 2 t. ground cinnamon
- 1 t. ground ginger
- ½ t. ground nutmeg
- ½ t. t. ground cloves
- 2 c. fresh carrots, finely chopped or grated (approximately 5-6 medium carrots)
- 24 paper cupcake liners
- 2 12-cup muffin tins
- Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients:
- 8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 T. unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 t. real vanilla extract¼ t. salt
- 1¾ c. powdered sugar
How to make Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Arrange both oven racks equal distance apart. Pre-heat the oven to 350°F and line two 12-cup muffin tins with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Finely chop three-quarters of the pecans and place in a skillet set over medium heat. Toast the chopped pecans, stirring frequently, until fragrant, but not overly brown. Remove from heat and set aside. (Reserve the remaining quarter cup of whole pecans for garnish).
- Whisk together the eggs and vegetable oil in a large mixing bowl. Add the brown sugar, white sugar, molasses, applesauce, and vanilla extract and continue whisking until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. Stir to combine.
- Gradually add some of the dry ingredients to the wet and whisk to combine. Repeat until all the dry ingredients have been incorporated into the batter.
- Pour the toasted pecans to the batter and stir to combine.
- Add the freshly grated carrots and carefully fold into the mixture until thoroughly incorporated into the batter.
- Fill each cupcake liner with the batter until approximately three-quarters full, as shown. (Do not overfill). Place the muffin pans into the pre-heated oven for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (Rotate the muffin pans to the other rack halfway through baking). Remove from oven and transfer the cupcakes to wire racks to cool completely.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, prepare the frosting by beating together the cream cheese, butter, vanilla extract, and salt. Slowly add the powdered sugar a little at a time until thoroughly incorporated into the frosting. Set aside.
Once muffins are completely cool, frost with the cream cheese frosting and garnish with the remaining whole pecans, if desired, before serving. Enjoy!
Variations on the Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting recipe
Here are 10 delicious variations you can apply to your Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting recipe for a fun twist:
- Pineapple Paradise: Add crushed pineapple to the batter for a tropical twist. The sweetness and acidity of pineapple complement the carrots perfectly.
- Spiced Up: Increase the warmth with extra spices like ginger and cloves. These spices will add depth and a little kick to your cupcakes.
- Nutty Crunch: Mix chopped pecans or walnuts into the batter for some delightful crunch and nutty flavor. They add a nice contrast to the soft cupcakes.
- Raisin Bliss: Fold in plump raisins for bursts of natural sweetness and chewy texture in every bite.
- Zesty Citrus: Add a bit of zest from oranges or lemons to the cream cheese frosting for a refreshing citrusy twist.
- Coconut Dream: Incorporate shredded coconut into the batter for a tropical flavor burst. It pairs wonderfully with carrots.
- Maple Infusion: Substitute a portion of the sugar with maple syrup for a hint of maple goodness that complements the carrot's earthy notes.
- Chocolate Swirl: Swirl a bit of chocolate ganache into the batter before baking to create a marbled effect for those who adore chocolate with their carrots.
- Berry Burst: Top your cupcakes with a dollop of mixed berry compote along with the cream cheese frosting for a fruity surprise.
- Nutella Delight: Fill your cupcakes with a spoonful of Nutella for an indulgent surprise at the center of each cupcake.
Feel free to mix and match these variations to create your own unique Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting recipe! Enjoy experimenting with different flavors and textures.
Equipment used when making Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Storage for the Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
You can store Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting in the fridge for about 3-4 days while maintaining their quality. Here are some tips for proper storage:
- Cool Completely: Make sure the cupcakes are completely cooled before storing them. Warm cupcakes can create condensation in the storage container, making them soggy.
- Airtight Container: Place the cupcakes in an airtight container or cover them tightly with plastic wrap. This helps prevent them from drying out and absorbing any odors from the fridge.
- Separation: If possible, store the cream cheese-frosted cupcakes separately from other foods with strong odors, as cream cheese can easily pick up flavors.
- Temperature: Keep the cupcakes in the refrigerator, ideally on a shelf, not in the door. The door tends to have temperature fluctuations when it's opened frequently.
- Quality Check: Before serving, check the cupcakes for any signs of spoilage, like mold or off-odors. If they appear or smell off, it's best to discard them.
Top tips to know when making Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Here are 10 top tips to keep in mind when making your delicious Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Fresh Grated Carrots: Always use freshly grated carrots for the best flavor and moisture. Pre-packaged, store-bought shredded carrots can be too dry.
- Room Temperature Ingredients: Allow your eggs, butter (if used), and cream cheese to come to room temperature before mixing. This ensures a smoother batter and creamier frosting.
- Don't Overmix: Mix your batter until just combined. Overmixing can make your cupcakes dense. It's okay if there are a few lumps.
- Use Cupcake Liners: Line your cupcake tin with paper liners to prevent sticking and ensure even baking.
- Even Batter Distribution: Use an ice cream scoop to portion out the batter into the cupcake liners. This ensures each cupcake is the same size and bakes evenly.
- Filling Level: Fill cupcake liners about ⅔ full. This leaves room for the cupcakes to rise without overflowing.
- Cool Completely: Allow your cupcakes to cool in the tin for a few minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting. Warm cupcakes can cause the frosting to melt.
- Cream Cheese Frosting Consistency: For the best cream cheese frosting, use full-fat cream cheese and unsalted butter. Make sure they are both at room temperature. Gradually add powdered sugar until you achieve the desired consistency.
- Piping the Frosting: Invest in a piping bag and decorative tip for a professional-looking finish. A swirl of cream cheese frosting makes your cupcakes look irresistible.
- Customize and Decorate: Get creative with toppings! Sprinkle chopped nuts, shredded coconut, or grated carrots on top of the frosting for an extra layer of flavor and texture.
Enjoy baking your Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting, and remember, a little creativity goes a long way in making them your own culinary masterpiece!
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]: