There's nothing quite like a warm, freshly baked chewy ginger snap cookie. Heck, even the scent of these spicy-sweet treats can bring a smile to your face. But what sets these chewy ginger snap cookies apart from the rest?
Perhaps it's the perfect balance of molasses and ginger or the soft texture that leaves you craving another bite. Whatever the magic is, one thing's for sure – these cookies are a crowd-pleaser. So the next time you're in the mood for a wholesome dessert, whip up a batch of these delectable treats and watch them disappear before your very eyes.
There's something truly special about a good ginger snap cookie.
Chewy Ginger Snap Cookies have been around for generations and have stood the test of time. But the question remains, do kids like them? Well, the answer is a resounding yes! Kids love the warm, spicy flavors and gooey texture of these cookies. Whether as an after-school snack or a special dessert, Chewy Ginger Snap Cookies are a hit with children and adults alike. Parents can feel good about serving them too, as they are made with wholesome ingredients and offer a healthier option compared to other sugary treats. So, next time you're in the mood to bake, give Chewy Ginger Snap Cookies a try and watch as they quickly become a family favorite.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 8-11 minutes
Chill time: 1 hour
Yields approximately 4 dozen cookies
- There's something truly special about a good ginger snap cookie.
- Ingredients needed to make Chewy Ginger Snap Cookies
- Instructions for making Chewy Ginger Snap Cookies
- Variations on the Chewy Ginger Snap Cookies recipe
- Equipment used in making Chewy Ginger Snap Cookies
- Storage for the Chewy Ginger Snap Cookies
- Top tips on making Chewy Ginger Snap Cookies
- Learn How to make Chewy Ginger Snap Cookies
Ingredients needed to make Chewy Ginger Snap Cookies
- ½ c. unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 c. vegetable shortening
- 1 c. brown sugar, packed
- 1 c. granulated sugar, divided
- ½ c. molasses
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 4½ c. all-purpose flour
- 2 T. ground ginger
- 2 t. baking soda
- 2 t. ground cinnamon
- 1 t. ground cloves
- ½ t. salt
Instructions for making Chewy Ginger Snap Cookies
- Cream the butter, shortening, brown sugar, and ½ cup granulated sugar in a large mixing bowl with a hand-held mixer.
- Mix in the molasses, and then add the eggs and mix to combine.
- In a separate large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and spices. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until thoroughly incorporated. Transfer the dough to the refrigerator and chill for one hour.
- While the dough is chilling, place the top oven rack in the center position and preheat the oven to 375°F. Line two large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper or a Silpat® baking mat and set aside.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and form into 1-inch balls. Roll balls of dough in the remaining ½ cup granulated sugar until coated.
- Place balls of dough onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving 2 inches between each ball. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 8 - 11 minutes or until cookies are nicely browned and cooked through.
- Remove cookies from oven and cool on wire rack before serving. Enjoy!
Variations on the Chewy Ginger Snap Cookies recipe
Looking for ways to spice up your Chewy Ginger Snap Cookies recipe? There are plenty of variations you can make to take your ginger snaps to the next level! For a more indulgent treat, try adding chocolate chips or drizzling melted chocolate on top. Want to add a fruity twist? Mix in some chopped dried cranberries or orange zest. If you’re a fan of nuts, consider adding chopped pecans or walnuts to the mix. And for a spicier kick, increase the amount of ginger or add a pinch of cayenne pepper. With so many options, the possibilities are endless for creating your perfect batch of Chewy Ginger Snap Cookies.
Equipment used in making Chewy Ginger Snap Cookies
Storage for the Chewy Ginger Snap Cookies
Ginger snap cookies have a special place in our hearts and it's no wonder why they are one of the most loved cookies. These cookies are perfect for satisfying our sweet cravings and provide us with a warm and comforting feeling. But, what happens when you end up making too many Chewy Ginger Snap Cookies? Can they be stored in the fridge for later consumption? Luckily, the answer is yes! You can store Chewy Ginger Snap Cookies in the fridge for up to two weeks. However, be sure to store them in an airtight container to prevent them from getting stale or absorbing odors from other foods. Trust us, once you start snacking on these cookies, two weeks will seem like an impossible timeline!
Top tips on making Chewy Ginger Snap Cookies
When it comes to baking Chewy Ginger Snap Cookies, there are a few tips and tricks that can make all the difference. First and foremost, make sure to use both ground ginger and grated fresh ginger to really pack in that zesty flavor. Additionally, brown sugar and molasses will give you that perfect, chewy texture. Don't overmix your dough and be sure to chill it before baking to prevent any unwanted spreading. And finally, the secret to achieving that signature "snap" is to bake the cookies for just a few minutes longer than you think you should. With these tips in mind, your Chewy Ginger Snap Cookies are sure to impress!
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]: