The delicious and healthy Low Carb Burrito Zucchini Boats dish will be sure to please even the pickiest eaters! Made with zucchini, minced beef, salsa, and yellow cheddar cheese, this tasty meal is low in carbs and high in flavor.
The boat shape of the zucchinis is a fun way to present dinner and an easy way to assemble the ingredients. Serve it with a side salad or baked sweet potatoes for freezable leftovers you can take on the go. This healthy recipe will leave your family coming back for more!
The goodness of Low Carb Burrito Zucchini Boats
These delicious zucchini boats are loaded with seasoned ground beef, fresh vegetables, and melted cheddar cheese. You can minimize total prep time by utilizing the time the zucchini is in the oven to work on prep items, such as sautéing the beef and dicing the avocado and vegetables.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20-25 minutes
Yield: 6 zucchini boats
Ingredients needed to make Low Carb Burrito Zucchini Boats
- 3 medium zucchinis, halved lengthwise
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- ¼ c. white onion, diced small
- 2-3 large cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 lb. ground beef (80/20)
- 2 t. chili powder
- 1 t. ground cumin
- ½ t. smoked paprika
- 1 c. sharp shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 large avocado, seeded and diced
- 1 large red (or green) jalapeño, diced small
- ⅓ medium red onion, diced
- 20 cherry or grape tomatoes, diced
- ¼ c. fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 3 T. fresh lime juice
- Optional: fresh lime wedges and additional cilantro, to serve
- Seasoned Sour Cream Dip:
- ½ c. sour cream
- ½ t. chili powder
- ¼ t. ground cumin
- ¼ t. smoked paprika
- ¼ t. garlic powder
- ¼ t. onion powder
- ¼ t. salt
- pinch black pepper
Instructions for making Low Carb Burrito Zucchini Boats
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°F and line a large baking sheet with a Silpat™ baking mat or piece of parchment paper. Set aside.
- Scoop out the seeds from the zucchini with a spoon and discard. Place the zucchini halves cut side up on the prepared baking sheet and brush with one tablespoon olive oil. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and place the baking sheet in the pre-heated oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Prepare the seasoned dip by combining the sour cream, chili powder, ground cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper, in a medium bowl. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add the white onion and garlic and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Sauté, stirring frequently, until the onion is translucent and develops a bit of color, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and season with chili powder, ground cumin, and smoked paprika. Lightly season with salt and black pepper, as desired, and stir to combine.
- Cook, breaking up the beef into small pieces with a spatula while stirring, until the beef is browned and cooked through, approximately 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and carefully drain off any excess fat if necessary.
- Remove the zucchini from the oven and fill with the seasoned beef. Top with half the shredded cheddar and return to the oven until the cheese is melted, approximately 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the diced avocado, tomatoes, red onion, red jalapeños, cilantro, and fresh lime juice to a medium bowl and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Toss to combine and set aside.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and transfer the stuffed zucchini halves to a large serving platter. Top with the diced avocado and tomato mixture and the remaining shredded cheddar cheese.
- Serve immediately with the seasoned sour cream dip on the side. Offer lime wedges and additional cilantro, if desired. Enjoy!
Getting creative in the kitchen when following a low-carb diet doesn't have to be hard, as demonstrated by Low Carb Burrito Zucchini Boats. This easy and versatile recipe offers many variations depending on what flavors you prefer; from tacos to fajitas, to quesadillas and beyond, the variations are seemingly endless. You can fill them with ground beef, chicken or tempeh for a protein-packed meal, or just all the veggies for a deliciously light meal. For a spicy bite, consider adding some jalapenos or cilantro; if you're feeling like something more mild-mannered try topping with some creamy feta cheese and diced tomatoes. However, you choose to assemble it one thing is guaranteed - it will be a tasty dish you'll come back to time and time again!
Low Carb Burrito Zucchini Boats are a great meal for anyone trying to keep their diet low carb. A great thing about them is that storage is simplified: you can easily store Low Carb Burrito Zucchini Boats in the refrigerator for up to four days. That way, you don't have to make more than you need at once and you can keep your leftovers fresh and flavorful. Storing these zucchini boats can make it easier to stay on track with your low-carb diet without having to sacrifice the convenience of pre-eaten meals or snacks.
Time-Saving Tip: Prepare larger batches of the seasoning blend featured here for quick and easy meal prep later. It’s perfect for dips, easy weeknight tacos, and more.
Simply combine one tablespoon chili powder and one-half tablespoon each of ground cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt, plus a half teaspoon of black pepper in a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid. (If you prefer more heat, add some chipotle powder and/or crushed red pepper, to taste). Cover and shake vigorously to combine. Store in an airtight container for up to six months.