Tortellini and Chicken Skewers are my ultimate go-to for an easy yet utterly satisfying meal. There's just something magical about the combination of tender, grilled chicken and perfectly cooked tortellini, all threaded onto skewers. The flavors mingle and create a delightful harmony as they soak up any marinade or sauce you choose.
Whether you're firing up the grill for a weekend barbecue or looking to jazz up a weeknight dinner, these skewers are a surefire way to impress your taste buds and dinner guests alike. Plus, the fun factor of eating food on a stick never gets old!
Not to mention, the versatility of tortellini and chicken skewers is a real winner. You can customize them to your heart's content with different marinades, seasonings, and even the type of tortellini you prefer – cheese-filled, spinach, or any other variety that tickles your fancy. And let's not forget the colorful array of veggies you can add to the skewers for a burst of freshness and crunch. Whether you're a fan of bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, or zucchini, there are countless possibilities to explore. So, next time you're pondering what's for dinner, consider these skewers – they're quick, tasty, and always a crowd-pleaser!
- Ingredients needed to make Tortellini and Chicken Skewers
- How to make Tortellini and Chicken Skewers
- Variations on the Tortellini and Chicken Skewers recipe
- Storage for the Tortellini and Chicken Skewers
- Top tips for making Tortellini and Chicken Skewers
- Tantalizing Tortellini & Chicken Skewers Recipe!
Ingredients needed to make Tortellini and Chicken Skewers
Chicken Breast Ingredients:*
- 16 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 T. Italian dressing
- 1 c. water
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 1 t. onion powder
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
*Skip this step if using leftover grilled or rotisserie chicken
- Remaining Skewer Ingredients:
9 oz. package refrigerated tortellini
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pint large grape tomatoes, cut in half**
1 6-oz. can large black olives, drained
½ c. Italian dressing, divided
15 10-12” wooden skewers
**If using smaller cherry tomatoes, do not cut in half.
How to make Tortellini and Chicken Skewers
- Place the chicken in large freezer bag along with two tablespoons Italian dressing. Seal tightly and turn each breast until coated on both sides. Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- Add the removable rack to the Instant Pot® cooking container and place the marinated breasts on top. Add water and sprinkle each breast with the garlic and onion powder. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Add the lid and lock it into place. Position the vent to “Sealing” and set the “Manual” setting to 8 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the tortellini according to package instructions. (Add olive oil to the cooking water as instructed on the package to prevent sticking). Rinse and drain well, and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- When cook time is complete on the Instant Pot®, allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then manually release any remaining pressure. Remove lid and transfer the chicken to a non-permeable cutting board.
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle, cut into one-inch cubes and transfer to the bowl with the tortellini.
- Add the olives and tomatoes to the bowl, along with two tablespoons Italian dressing. Lightly season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Gently fold the ingredients with a spoon until thoroughly coated in the dressing.
- Using 10-12” wooden skewers, thread 1 black olive, 1 grape tomato half, 1 chicken cube, 1 tortellini, 1 chicken cube, 1 tortellini, 1 tomato half, and 1 black olive. Repeat this process until all skewers are complete.
Note: The order listed above is just a suggestion. It looks nice if you begin and end each skewer with the same ingredients, but your preferences may vary.
Tip: When finished assembling the skewers, toss any remaining ingredients in a medium bowl with a little Italian dressing to serve on the side.
- To serve, transfer the finished skewers to a platter and offer the remaining Italian dressing on the side. Enjoy!
Variations on the Tortellini and Chicken Skewers recipe
here are 10 delicious variations to spice up your Tortellini & Chicken Skewers recipe:
- Mediterranean Delight: Marinate your chicken and tortellini in olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and oregano. Add cherry tomatoes, red onions, and feta cheese for that classic Mediterranean flair.
- Pesto Paradise: Coat your skewers in fresh basil pesto for an aromatic twist. Throw in some sun-dried tomatoes and pine nuts for added texture and flavor.
- Thai-inspired Fusion: Create an Asian-inspired marinade with soy sauce, ginger, and sesame oil. Thread the skewers with bell peppers, pineapple chunks, and sprinkle with chopped cilantro and crushed peanuts.
- Southwest Fiesta: Spice things up with a Tex-Mex flair. Season your chicken with chili powder and cumin, and serve with tortellini, black beans, corn, and a drizzle of spicy chipotle aioli.
- Caprese Crush: Keep it simple and fresh with mozzarella, basil leaves, and cherry tomatoes. Drizzle with balsamic glaze and a touch of olive oil.
- Teriyaki Temptation: Marinate the chicken in teriyaki sauce, and add red and green bell peppers and pineapple. Serve with a side of sticky rice for a complete meal.
- Cajun Carnival: Season your chicken with Cajun spices, and serve with tortellini, bell peppers, and red onions. Top with a zesty remoulade sauce.
- Garlic Butter Bliss: Brush your skewers with garlic butter while grilling. Pair with tortellini and sautéed spinach for a rich, comforting dish.
- Curry Craze: Marinate your chicken in a yogurt-based curry marinade and serve with tortellini and a cucumber mint raita on the side.
- Veggie Extravaganza: Skip the chicken altogether and go for a vegetarian option. Skewer tortellini with an assortment of colorful veggies like mushrooms, zucchini, and bell peppers, then grill to perfection. Serve with a basil vinaigrette.
Feel free to mix and match these ideas to create your own unique Tortellini & Chicken Skewers masterpiece!
Storage for the Tortellini and Chicken Skewers
You can store Tortellini & Chicken Skewers in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. To ensure they stay fresh and safe to eat, follow these guidelines:
- Cool Quickly: Allow the skewers to cool down to room temperature before refrigerating them. Do not leave them out at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Storage Container: Place the skewers in an airtight container or wrap them tightly with plastic wrap. This helps prevent moisture loss and keeps the flavors intact.
- Separate Ingredients: If possible, store the chicken and tortellini separately from any veggies or sauces to maintain their individual textures and flavors.
- Label and Date: It's a good practice to label the container with the date when you prepared the skewers. This helps you keep track of their freshness.
- Reheat Safely: When you're ready to enjoy the leftovers, reheat them in the microwave or oven until the chicken is heated through and reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
After 3-4 days, the quality of the skewers may start to deteriorate, so it's best to consume them within this timeframe to ensure they taste their best and are safe to eat.
Top tips for making Tortellini and Chicken Skewers
Here are 10 top tips to keep in mind when making Tortellini & Chicken Skewers:
- Soak Wooden Skewers: If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before threading to prevent them from burning on the grill.
- Evenly Sized Ingredients: Cut your chicken and tortellini into uniform sizes to ensure even cooking. This way, everything will be done at the same time.
- Marinate for Flavor: Give your chicken and tortellini time to soak up flavor by marinating them for at least 30 minutes, or even overnight, in the refrigerator.
- Precook Tortellini: Partially cook the tortellini before skewering to ensure they're cooked through on the grill. They'll finish cooking and get a nice char when grilled.
- Alternate Ingredients: Thread chicken and tortellini alternately to create visually appealing skewers. Add veggies or other ingredients in between for variety.
- Use High Heat: Preheat your grill to medium-high heat to get a good sear on the chicken and create those grill marks for extra flavor.
- Oil the Grates: Before placing skewers on the grill, brush the grates with oil or use a non-stick grill spray to prevent sticking.
- Baste for Moisture: While grilling, baste the skewers with extra marinade or sauce to keep the chicken moist and add extra flavor.
- Check Chicken Temperature: Ensure the chicken reaches a safe internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) before removing it from the grill to avoid undercooking.
- Rest Before Serving: Let the skewers rest for a few minutes after grilling. This allows the juices to redistribute, resulting in juicier chicken and better flavor.
With these tips in mind, your Tortellini & Chicken Skewers will turn out perfectly delicious every time!
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]: