Watermelon Feta Salad with Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette is a refreshing and flavorful salad that combines sweet watermelon, salty feta cheese, and a tangy lime-cilantro dressing. It's a popular summer dish that is perfect for picnics, barbecues, or any warm-weather gathering.
The salad typically consists of cubed or balled watermelon pieces and crumbled feta cheese, which is then tossed together with a zesty vinaigrette made from lime juice, cilantro, olive oil, honey (optional), salt, and pepper. The combination of juicy watermelon, creamy feta cheese, and the bright and herbaceous dressing creates a delicious blend of flavors and textures.
A delightful combination of sweet, savory, and tangy flavors,
The Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette adds a refreshing and tangy element to the salad, complementing the sweetness of the watermelon and the saltiness of the feta cheese. The lime juice provides acidity, the cilantro adds a fresh herbal note, and the olive oil helps to emulsify and balance the flavors. The honey, if used, adds a touch of sweetness to round out the dressing.
Overall, Watermelon Feta Salad with Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette is a delightful combination of sweet, savory, and tangy flavors, making it a popular and satisfying summer dish.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: n/a
- A delightful combination of sweet, savory, and tangy flavors,
- Ingredients need to make Watermelon Feta Salad with Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette
- How to make Watermelon Feta Salad with Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette
- Variations on the Watermelon Feta Salad with Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette recipe
- Equipment used to make Watermelon Feta Salad with Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette
- Storage for the Watermelon Feta Salad with Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette
- Top tips for making Watermelon Feta Salad with Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette
- Watermelon Feta Salad with Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette
Ingredients need to make Watermelon Feta Salad with Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette
Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette Ingredients:
2 T. fresh lime juice
3 T. fresh cilantro, chopped (+ extra sprigs for garnish)
3 T. grapeseed oil
1 t. Dijon mustard
1 T honey
2 t. ground cumin
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
How to make Watermelon Feta Salad with Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette
- To prepare the vinaigrette, add all ingredients to a medium glass bowl and whisk to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired, and set aside.
- Cut watermelons in half, then carefully remove and reserve the flesh in a large bowl. (Cut the watermelon into bite-sized pieces, if necessary).
- Pat the inside of each empty watermelon rind with a paper towel to dry. Set aside to use as serving bowls for the finished salad.
- Add Feta cheese and arugula to the bowl with the watermelon. Drizzle the vinaigrette on top and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Gently toss to combine.
- To serve, transfer the watermelon-Feta mixture to the reserved watermelon rinds and garnish with sprigs of fresh cilantro if desired. Enjoy!
Variations on the Watermelon Feta Salad with Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette recipe
There are several variations you can try to customize the Watermelon Feta Salad with Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette recipe to your taste preferences. Here are a few ideas:
- Add greens: Incorporate some fresh greens such as arugula, baby spinach, or mixed salad greens to add more texture and freshness to the salad. Toss the greens with the watermelon, feta, and vinaigrette for a more substantial salad.
- Mint instead of cilantro: If you're not a fan of cilantro, you can substitute it with fresh mint leaves. Mint adds a cool and refreshing flavor that pairs well with watermelon.
- Balsamic glaze: Instead of the lime-cilantro vinaigrette, drizzle the salad with a balsamic glaze. The sweet and tangy flavor of the balsamic glaze complements the watermelon and feta nicely.
- Spicy kick: For some heat, add a touch of spice to the salad. You can incorporate finely chopped jalapeños or sprinkle some red pepper flakes over the salad for a spicy twist.
- Additional toppings: Enhance the salad with additional toppings for added crunch and flavor. Consider adding sliced red onions, toasted almonds or walnuts, pomegranate arils, or thinly sliced cucumber.
- Citrus variations: Instead of lime, you can experiment with other citrus fruits like lemon or orange. The acidity of these fruits will provide a tangy flavor to the vinaigrette.
- Grilled watermelon: For a unique twist, try grilling the watermelon slices or chunks before assembling the salad. Grilling enhances the sweetness and imparts a smoky flavor to the watermelon.
Remember, these variations are just suggestions, and you can mix and match ingredients according to your preferences. Don't be afraid to get creative and explore different flavors to make the Watermelon Feta Salad your own.
Equipment used to make Watermelon Feta Salad with Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette
Storage for the Watermelon Feta Salad with Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette
Watermelon Feta Salad with Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette is best enjoyed fresh, as the watermelon tends to release its juices over time, which can affect the texture and presentation of the salad. However, if you need to store leftovers, you can do so in the refrigerator.
When properly stored in an airtight container, the salad can be refrigerated for up to 1-2 days. Keep in mind that the watermelon may become softer and more watery as it sits in the dressing. To maintain the best texture, it's recommended to store the dressing separately and toss it with the salad just before serving.
If you plan to store the salad for an extended period, consider keeping the watermelon, feta, and dressing separate and assemble them just before serving to maintain the freshness and flavors of the ingredients.
Top tips for making Watermelon Feta Salad with Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette
When making Watermelon Feta Salad with Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette, here are some top tips to keep in mind:
- Choose ripe watermelon: Select a ripe and sweet watermelon for the best flavor. Look for a melon that feels heavy for its size, has a deep sound when tapped, and has a uniform shape without any soft spots.
- Keep ingredients chilled: It's essential to keep the watermelon, feta cheese, and dressing ingredients chilled before assembling the salad. This helps maintain the freshness and prevents the watermelon from becoming too soft.
- Cut the watermelon just before serving: Watermelon can release a lot of juice, especially when cut into pieces. To avoid a watery salad, it's best to cube or ball the watermelon just before serving rather than pre-cutting it.
- Use high-quality feta cheese: Opt for a good-quality feta cheese with a creamy texture and tangy flavor. You can either buy a block of feta and crumble it yourself or purchase pre-crumbled feta.
- Don't overdress the salad: Start by adding a modest amount of the Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette to the salad and toss well. You can always add more dressing if needed, but you don't want the salad to become overly saturated with dressing.
- Customize the vinaigrette: Adjust the Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette to your taste preferences. Taste and adjust the levels of lime juice, cilantro, honey (if using), salt, and pepper to achieve the desired balance of flavors.
- Add the dressing just before serving: To prevent the salad from becoming soggy, dress it with the Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette just before serving. This ensures that the watermelon retains its crispness and the flavors remain vibrant.
- Experiment with additional ingredients: Feel free to experiment with additional ingredients like greens, herbs, or toppings to add more texture and flavor to the salad. Be creative and customize the salad to suit your taste preferences.
By keeping these tips in mind, you'll be well on your way to creating a delicious and refreshing Watermelon Feta Salad with Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette. Enjoy!
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]: