Cast Iron Shepherd’s Pie is a delicious option for dinner that’s sure to make the tummy of even your pickiest eater grumble with satisfaction. It’s an easy recipe that doesn’t take much prep time, and it can easily be tailored to the dietary needs of the individual.
Healthy and hearty, this one-pot meal is perfect for sharing with family, friends, or even the kiddos – plus, it’s just as tasty when you re-heat any leftovers!
Serving up a Cast Iron Shepherd's Pie for dinner is a great way to give your family a healthy meal.
Serving up a Cast Iron Shepherd's Pie for dinner is a great way to give your family a healthy meal. The traditional recipe is made with lean ground beef and vegetables, making it much healthier than other rich comfort foods. Of course, like any dish, you can always adjust the ingredients and ingredient amounts to add more nutrients or decrease calories, depending on the preferences of everyone at the table. For an added bonus, this delicious dish offers excellent leftovers for the days after!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- Serving up a Cast Iron Shepherd's Pie for dinner is a great way to give your family a healthy meal.
- Ingredients needed to make Cast Iron Shepherd’s Pie
- Instructions for making Cast Iron Shepherd’s Pie
- Variations on the Cast Iron Shepherd’s Pie recipe
- Equipment used in making the Cast Iron Shepherd’s Pie
- Storage for the Cast Iron Shepherd’s Pie
- Top tips on making Cast Iron Shepherd’s Pie
- The Delectable Cast Iron Shepherd’s Pie
Ingredients needed to make Cast Iron Shepherd’s Pie
Mashed Potato Ingredients:
2 lbs. Russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
4-5 large cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
Water, to cover
½ c. chicken stock, preferably organic
¼ c. heavy cream
3 T. unsalted butter
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1½ lbs. ground beef
2 t. fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
2 T. Worcestershire sauce
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
¾ c. frozen corn kernels, thawed
¾ c. frozen peas, thawed
1¼ c. sliced frozen carrots, thawed garnish:
Fresh chives, chopped
Instructions for making Cast Iron Shepherd’s Pie
- Place the top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- Place potatoes and garlic in a large pot and add water until the potatoes are completely covered, with an additional inch or two on top. Bring to a rapid boil over high heat for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender. Remove from heat, drain, and set aside.
- While the potatoes are boiling, add the beef, rosemary, and Worcestershire sauce to a 10” cast iron skillet set over medium heat. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Cook, stirring frequently, until the beef is completely browned and broken into small pieces, approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and carefully drain any excess fat from the skillet, if necessary. Set aside.
- Add chicken stock, heavy cream, and butter to the boiled potatoes. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and mash with a hand masher or whip with a hand mixer until smooth. If necessary, add a little extra chicken broth to reach the desired consistency. Set aside.
- Evenly spread the thawed corn, peas, and carrots across the browned ground beef in the cast iron skillet. Top with an even layer of the mashed potatoes and sprinkle with some smoked paprika.
- Place the skillet in the pre-heated oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until heated through and the potatoes are nicely browned on top. Remove from oven and cool slightly. Serve immediately garnished with fresh chives. Enjoy!
Variations on the Cast Iron Shepherd’s Pie recipe
Looking for ways to jazz up the same old dinner routine? With a few easy variations, you can make Cast Iron Shepherd's Pie a tasty, healthy and exciting meal for the whole family. From swapping out beef for ground turkey and adding different vegetables like artichoke hearts or kale to the dish, there are so many different possibilities to keep it interesting. You can even switch up the top layer with sweet potatoe versus mashed potatoes for a hint of extra sweetness. The great thing about Cast Iron Shepherd’s Pie is that you can customize it however you like – just think of it as an opportunity to get creative in the kitchen.
Equipment used in making the Cast Iron Shepherd’s Pie
Storage for the Cast Iron Shepherd’s Pie
If you're looking for a delicious and healthy dinner option that can easily be stored in the fridge, then Cast Iron Shepherd's Pie is the perfect recipe. Not only does this meal provide the all-important comfort of family style meals, but it can also last up to four days in the fridge! This is great news for busy weeknight dinners or for making enough for lunches on the go. Plus, it's full of healthy ingredients like lean ground beef, carrots, potatoes. The wonderful thing about this Shepherd's Pie is that it provides all the flavor without compromising your long term storage goals!
Top tips on making Cast Iron Shepherd’s Pie
Making the Cast Iron Shepherd’s Pie recipe is a great way to bring together delicious comfort food that is a healthier alternative to some other dinner options. Whether you’re looking to feed your family something delicious but healthy or impress guests with your cooking skills, these top tips will have you making this Cast Iron Shepherd’s Pie recipe like a pro! Make sure to use plenty of herbs and spices while browning your beef and vegetables. This will build an incredible base of flavor before layering in more tasty ingredients like cured meats and potatoes. Follow these top tips for creating a dish everyone will love at the dinner table.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]: